UAE Strips Online Activist Of Citizenship,

Topic locked
UAE strips online activist of citizenship, Jul 17, 2012
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/07/16 ... nto-exile/

The United Arab Emirates has stripped an activist of citizenship and deported him to Thailand over his online campaign for reform in the Persian Gulf littoral state.

According to the London-based Emirates Center for Human Rights, Ahmed Abdul Khaleq was deported on Monday on a Comoros Islands passport arranged by UAE authorities.

Abdul Khaleq and four others, including blogger and rights advocate Ahmed Mansour and economics professor Nasser bin Ghaith, were arrested in April 2011 for signing an online petition demanding constitutional reforms and free elections in the UAE. They were convicted of committing crimes against the state.

UAE officials have revoked the citizenship of several other activists, who had called for reforms, but it was not clear whether Abu Dhabi will seek to carry out any more deportations.

A 2009 report showed that the Arab emirates has struck a USD 200 million deal with the government of Comoros to provide passports for people it makes stateless.

HM/HGH/AZ

zubbber
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: UAE Strips Online Activist Of Citizenship, Jul 17, 2012
Wow, just wow. :shock:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

It's very sad, but they're sending a clear message with this aren't they.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

This is all about securing their country. They don't want uprisings and view such people as possible upstarts. This is their way of sending a message.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

yes, must be a nightmare for the authorities , with bloggers being arrested and jailed in oman , and military firing at civilians in norther parts of saudi, the rulers must be all be wearing diapers , with kuwait in political and economic chaos , only Qatar has some semblance of peace , the future is dark for pertrol drinkers
zubbber
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: UAE Strips Online Activist Of Citizenship, Jul 18, 2012
I understand the reasonings, however, you do have to feel sorry for the guy. The UAE is his home, yet he is stateless, has no citizenship and therefore received nothing unlike other Emiratis. All he was asking for was rights for people like him. For whatever reason these Bidoon people never applied for the citizenship and most of them are decendants of settlers or traders who past through generations a go.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

There's a saying in the Middle East: "To control a Persian keep him hungary; to control an Arab keep him well-fed!" Or something to that effect.
The oil-rich Arabs are too well-fed and comfortable to make any effort towards demanding their rights. This will continue as long the oil wealth lasts.
People like this blogger are just isolated cases and will be dealt with in just this way.
This with the tacit support from the Western masters sitting in Washington.
Frequentflier
Dubai forums Addict

Chocoholic ,

Not true.

The London-based Emirates Centre for Human Rights said Khaleq was deported on a Comoros Islands passport arranged by UAE authorities in the first such banishment by the country, Al Jazeera reported.

He is among a group of activists whose residency or citizenship has been revoked by UAE officials after they campaigned for reforms.

http://www.thenewstribe.com/2012/07/16/ ... -thailand/

I read where the UAE struck a deal with Comoros Islands at the cost of $200 million dollars. I'm sure this may cover future deportees.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora , Yes stateless people are given these passports! He had NO citizenship, passport or papers before this. This is what he was fighting for, the fact that people like him get nothing from their own country. Here's a better story about it as the link you provided gives no background details.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 46871.html
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Kind of like the people who got banned from this forum. They were given multiple suspensions and still chose to carry on and then were banned. They have no one to blame but themselves, right European? :lol:

Maybe this guy will continue his struggle from the Comoros Islands, much like how the sad banned gang continues on DF to this day. I'm guessing you would fully support that. :wink:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Well maybe now that he is deported to Thailand, he just might realize how good he had it. If u want to make a case for good cause, do it so by at least addressing the authorities and the leaders with respect, not by being all cheeky and all so u might be taken seriously.
The same goes for the others, they were put in jail, got a presidential pardon to be given a chance to blend with the rest of the society and stop what they are trying to do which by the way is for a fact is a matter of national security, but noooo, they go ahead and do it again. Some of them were kicked out of their countries and taken in by the UAE, given citizenships and all plus housing and monthly salaries, but they just gland show how ungrateful a human being can be. Who the hell gave them the right to speak on behalf of the people of the UAE unless it's the vast minority of people who have adopted their way of teachings and thinking, and by using the advantage of the revolutions going on around to try and stur it up here? That just pissed the whole country off and not only the authorities.

We are people who are unconditionally loyal to our country then our leaders, people like them will never be.

We could certainly do with less people like them
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Is there an article that tells exactly the rights he and his group were fighting for?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

European wrote:Being Miss Dubai Forums 2006 leads you to believe that DF is something special. It's an internet forum, and not that well supported.

You need to move on into the real world.

Yes, so special that banned people don't just leave, they come back under multiple alia to keep on trolling. They really need to accept their bans and move on - sort of like what "European" expects this former-Emirati to do. ;)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

pappidopoulos wrote:
general_A wrote:ntial pardon to be given a chance to blend with the rest of the society and stop what they are trying to do which by the way is for a fact is a matter of national security

sorry, did i get that right, is the general saying a blog can b a matter of national security???

It wasn't just a blog like you read, if you have read the second article, then you might have a little idea of who they are.

--- Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:14 pm ---

kanelli wrote:Is there an article that tells exactly the rights he and his group were fighting for?

There isn't because all they just say is, rights.
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

But what rights were they asking for that most Emiratis were vehemently against it?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

These are not the times nor were their methods appropriate. Change is coming, step by step, we now have an elected national parliament that is being taken more seriously each year, more tolerence is shown by the government towards critisism, listen you can even hear it on the radio (in arabic ofcourse)that is a start, you don't go out urging people to stand up against the government.
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

There are always groups who will stick their necks out to push for rapid change.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:But what rights were they asking for that most Emiratis were vehemently against it?

Look, they are an affiliated group with the Islamic brotherhood of egypt, and since the foundation of the Islamic brotherhood, they have tought people nothing but hate against Arab governments and the lust to reach power. About the rights, they never made it clear what the main rights they are asking for is some sort of an elected government, ok, when a group of people forms some sort of a group affiliated with another group which it's main objective is power, then u can only ask what else are they plotting when all them are sitting together.
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

kanelli wrote:There are always groups who will stick their necks out to push for rapid change.

But it depends on who the group is and what change do they seek.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: UAE Strips Online Activist Of Citizenship, Jul 19, 2012
kanelli , Emiratis get money towards housing, free education, free or discounted utilities etc - so I would assume that is the kind of thing they were asking for.

Yes of course there are ways and means of doing things, but I can only assume that they had gone through all the regular channels and got nowhere and so were forced to take the action they did. It all seems like a big mess to me really. And what is the guy going to do now? He was booted out with 10k, to a country where he now only has a 3 month visit visa and can't come back to the UAE.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

They guy was calling for riots on the blog, seems like he wanted to stage something here like the arab spring, hence it was a matter of national security.

--- Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:21 am ---

AJ has more detailed article, seems like they had UAE passport. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeas ... 88439.html
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nucleus , Well yes that's just stupid isn't it. The UAE has been very swift to quash any uprisings. Could never really see it happening here as people are too well looked after, not many have reason to complain.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Maybe the online activist, was angry at the state's ponzi scheme , building all those white elephants on the backs of slaves , or may be he wanted to be the leader of the opposition, one thing is for certain that the middle eastern rulers are the b!tches of the western powers , monarchies eventually fall and history attests that too quite violently, its a matter of time , he was lucky he wasnt placed behind the sun
zubbber
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

zubbber wrote:Maybe the online activist, was angry at the state's ponzi scheme , building all those white elephants on the backs of slaves , or may be he wanted to be the leader of the opposition, one thing is for certain that the middle eastern rulers are the b!tches of the western powers , monarchies eventually fall and history attests that too quite violently, its a matter of time , he was lucky he wasnt placed behind the sun

Oh look, another one.
Just out of curiosity, where are you from?

--- Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:05 pm ---

And for the record people, Ahmed mansoor had a full citizenship, so did most of the others who also had their citizenship stripped
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

general_A wrote:Oh look, another one. Just out of curiosity, where are you from?

Ignore him.

He's no different than many expats or visitors who think they know what is actually going on in the UAE and who have no real relations/friendships with locals. Add to the fact that some of them actually think they know what is going on in every country.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Maybe you all missed the hundreds if not thousands of emiraties and expats who were outside the court in Abu dhabi expressing their anger towards what those people trying to do, if anything, they made us more loyal to our country first, then our leaders. I just don't see where rulers like ours could be found today.

--- Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:20 pm ---

Bora Bora wrote:
general_A wrote:Oh look, another one. Just out of curiosity, where are you from?

Ignore him.

He's no different than many expats or visitors who think they know what is actually going on in the UAE and who have no real relations/friendships with locals. Add to the fact that some of them actually think they know what is going on in every country.

From the way he posts, I think I have a pretty good idea where he comes from, the problem is we got many of his kind here.
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

general_A wrote:From the way he posts, I think I have a pretty good idea where he comes from, the problem is we got many of his kind here.

It takes all kinds generalA.

Happy Ramadan. May your fast be an easy one. I know, pretty hard to accomplish with the weather.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:
general_A wrote:From the way he posts, I think I have a pretty good idea where he comes from, the problem is we got many of his kind here.

It takes all kinds generalA.

Happy Ramadan. May your fast be an easy one. I know, pretty hard to accomplish with the weather.

Thank you, that's very thoughtful of you, it's all about will power and devotion, so it shouldn't be a problem
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

general_A ,

I suffer terribly as I wasn't raised to fast (convert) so I don't get very far :-(. But I watch hubby and I admire him each day.

I do hold onto the purpose and the meaning. I keep Iftar simple, the way it should be. We may eat out 5 times during Ramadan due to invitations, but otherwise it's home. (I hate seeing the food that goes to waste!!! It's a contradiction - how others starve all year (and many will do so during Ramadan) and the food thrown out during the entire month could probably feed a village for a year. I think its shameful.

Anyway, easy fast and stay cool!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Chocoholic wrote:Nucleus , Well yes that's just stupid isn't it.
Actually, crazy, UAE is a peaceful country and if I've to take a figure then more than 90% are happy with their leaders and country. Second, UAE was one of the first country in the region to make a transition toward democratization with FNC and slowly shifting power to the FNC. But I guess some people just like to stir trouble.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat