Toll Poll

Topic locked

What do you think about the proposed road tolls?

Great solution to traffic congestion
20%
S'gonna be a disaster
60%
I aint paying no toll
13%
More greed, but I'll pay
7%

Total votes : 15

Toll poll Feb 15, 2007
Just reading about this in the newspapers today. Makes me a bit :evil: What do you think?

sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
Good question Sauron and only time will tell if it will do any good or not.

I will be using it daily (to and from work), so if it helps with easing traffic congestion, then I am all for it. However, it will not make people slow down any more than it will make people drive better.

Also, it will now make the non-toll roads more chaotic and congested i.e. Al Khail and Emirates Roads. They are bad enough now, what its going to be like when the toll is introduced is anybodies guess.

I still believe that they should promote car sharing. The number of cars you see in the morning with only 1 person in it is amazing (incl. me).

Also, is the Dhs4 they are going to charge sufficient to reduce the number of vehicles on SZR? I think not. Say Dhs8 per day (two journeys), 6 days a week x 4 weeks per month = Dhs192 per month. In todays Dubai economy and salaries, i don't think this will make that much of a difference to peoples pockets (thats ALL peoples pockets).

I would have liked to have seen the toll higher if they were trying to reduce the congestion, but overall, I say that your No.4 option is the closest to the truth.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 15, 2007
It will just shift the traffic problem away from SZR and G Bridge to other areas, we should have the total solution in place before introducing these measures. Surely if people are willing to drive 4 - 5 hours per day from Sharjah x Dubai x Sharjah, in order to avoid the higher rental costs, they will not mind adding extra time to their journey to divert to Emirates Road, or whatever, this will only have a detrimental effect on Dubai Residents, until alternative means of transport are available.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 15, 2007
Damn Damn Damn!!!!
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 15, 2007
devilsdiciple wrote:Damn Damn Damn!!!!

DD now come on, is this your honest opinion???
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 15, 2007
:twisted: ..I feel its jut a knee jerk reaction to the problem....As the papers have been reporting traffic problems a lot, according to the all powerfuls this doesnt reflect good....

I would have still like the other systems namely public transport, infrastructure to be in place before they imposed this levy.....

As you rightly said only time will tell, till then I wish all the guys travelling up and down all the best as it gonna be madness on Al Khail, Maktoom and any other road except SZR.... :lol:

Well thats what they wanted, a less congested SRZ..LOL
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 15, 2007
devilsdiciple wrote::twisted: ..I feel its jut a knee jerk reaction to the problem....As the papers have been reporting traffic problems a lot, according to the all powerfuls this doesnt reflect good....

I would have still like the other systems namely public transport, infrastructure to be in place before they imposed this levy.....

As you rightly said only time will tell, till then I wish all the guys travelling up and down all the best as it gonna be madness on Al Khail, Maktoom and any other road except SZR.... :lol:

I thought the toll was gonna apply to SZR and Garhoud Bridge?

http://www.7days.ae/en/2007/02/15/24-hour-tolls.html
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
sauron wrote:
devilsdiciple wrote::twisted: ..I feel its jut a knee jerk reaction to the problem....As the papers have been reporting traffic problems a lot, according to the all powerfuls this doesnt reflect good....

I thought the toll was gonna apply to SZR and Garhoud Bridge?

Your right, thats what was in the news
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 15, 2007
The problem with Dubai is every family member here has a car. Dad has one, Son has one, Mother has one plus not only that since u guys are also living here for such a long time u can understand how difficult it might be for living in Dubai. Yes true its a possibility that other roads will get conjusted but yet its a good thing to pay that amount and go through. I can say when the train comes it will be more effective. Because I can say when I went to bangkok rarely ppl use cabs or anything and travel through train which is much better and all.

Yes in one way it will be bad for the subcontinent ppl as most of them work their ass off and another thing to think about. I just hope theres no sppeding on those roads with tolls. But they shouldve started it aftert he train was completed, I feel.
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 15, 2007
Unknown Devil wrote:The problem with Dubai is every family member here has a car. Dad has one, Son has one, Mother has one plus not only that since u guys are also living here for such a long time u can understand how difficult it might be for living in Dubai.

Because I can say when I went to bangkok rarely ppl use cabs or anything and travel through train which is much better and all.

Yes in one way it will be bad for the subcontinent ppl as most of them work their a#s off and another thing to think about. I just hope theres no sppeding on those roads with tolls. But they shouldve started it aftert he train was completed, I feel.

But I thought that the same was the case in the west also. Every family member has a car???

As for the train I dont know how effective it will be especially during summers when it get Bl**dy hot and humid here that you cant walk even a few steps before being drenched in sweat...

As for the subcontinent ppl, they are a hardy race..Also the toll will not only effect them but everyone is general.....
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 16, 2007
It's already such a pain getting to Dubai from Sharjah-this just seems like yet one more obstacle. But rumour has it here that Sharjah has paid off its debt to KSA and that the 'dry' laws are gonna be revoked.
Maybe the traffic is gonna start moving in the opposite direction. :D
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 16, 2007
I'll just use a bicycle.
Kalimenjaro
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 16, 2007
I've seen this kind of measures to other countries, unfortunately the traffic remains tha same. Honestly i don't think that will make any difference.
Greekman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 18, 2007

Agreed.. in other countries where such laws are placed a public transport system is already available.

Lets face it salaries here dont increase the same way living costs are rising. Sure 200-300dhs a month doesnt seem much but in the end it all adds up.

If they had a good public transport system then this levy would make sense.

As of right now.. i find it cheaper to travel around in public transport system of London compared to Dubai(London being far more costly as a place of living still manages to have a cheaper transport system).

They introduced a congestion charge few years back in London and its some what successful because the ppl are given an alternative, however its more like screwing the ppl here. They have to get to work and with no other alternative being around they will still use the SZR. Hence the traffic most probably will stay the same, but yea ppl will end up paying another indirect tax.
kashif
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat