The View From BM's Window.

Topic locked
The View From BM's Window. Dec 05, 2010
It is the most beautiful day in England today and all is well in BM's world. I thought I would share with you the view from my window.

008.JPG
011.JPG

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: The View From BM's Window. Dec 05, 2010
Looks beautiful BM. I do miss the seasons in Dubai. :)
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

Not nice BM, not nice. You're killing me. I so miss the snow. Just this morning hubby asked if I wanted to go back to the States for Xmas as he has a few days off. Would love to but not to go for 5 days!!! But it was a nice offer. :) :)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Yes, the seasons in Dubai are hot, hotter and hottest. I do miss the warmth though, we have sun a plenty accompanied by minus 10 on my way to work on Friday. Thank the Lord for my 4x4.
Bethsmum

nice pics, so very peaceful
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:nice pics, so very peaceful

Yes Zubber, just like BM, peaceful :wink:

-- Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:28 pm --

Bora Bora wrote:Not nice BM, not nice. You're killing me. I so miss the snow. Just this morning hubby asked if I wanted to go back to the States for Xmas as he has a few days off. Would love to but not to go for 5 days!!! But it was a nice offer. :) :)

Bora, I would go for it, there's nothing like being at home for Happy Holidays. How long are the flights from Dubai to NY?
Bethsmum

Dubai-Toronto=13 hours
Dubai-LA=19 hours
Dubai-Vancouver=13+6 hours.

Thought about heading home with my new windfall, but for a week, not worth it when you factor in a 12 hour time diff as well. Might take Mrs. DD somewhere nice for the weekend or something.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Bethsmum wrote:

-- Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:28 pm --

Bora Bora wrote:Not nice BM, not nice. You're killing me. I so miss the snow. Just this morning hubby asked if I wanted to go back to the States for Xmas as he has a few days off. Would love to but not to go for 5 days!!! But it was a nice offer. :) :)

Bora, I would go for it, there's nothing like being at home for Happy Holidays. How long are the flights from Dubai to NY?

14 hours straight into JFK. Actually you arrive the same date you leave because of the time difference, but loose a day when you come back. I guess I'll just wait until the summer and make my annual trip back home. Oh, the shopping I could do if I went during Xmas!!! Thinking of a quick one over to Thailand. I buy very little in Dubai. I hate knowing that I'm being ripped off!!! Will probably put it on my calendar for next year and spend more than 5 days there.

I'm envious of your whereabouts BM. Thanks for sharing, it's really what a white Xmas looks like. Seems that you have will have white snow long after it stops and until it disappears.

Snow is snow for about 12 hours in NY before it turns black and yellow.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bethsmum wrote:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Spent last year in the freeze and must have been the only person that didn't see decent snow:( Managed to 'dodge' most of it by a matter of hours.
I have decided to spend this year at 'home'/Dubai.. ouch that hurt.
Although, fingers crossed, some clouds or rain would be nice to add to the atmosphere.
Looks like a nice spot BM.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

It appears that all I've achieved here is to make people yearn for their little piece of home.

@DD, My eldest was on a conference call to their office in Calgary. The fact that it had taken her 2 and a half hours to get into work in a city like Manchester caused much hilarity. Manchester has about 18 inches of snow! Please do go ahead and treat Mrs DD, she may not tell you but you will leave an inprint on her heart forever, I do love a romantic man, swoon.

@Bora. Yes, I'm very lucky to live in a National Park, it is glorious but I don't appreciate it, as you never do when beauty is on your doorstep. I've done a quick calculation and my house is about 480 years old and I still have the original kitchen! NY is a fantastic place, I've been 3 times. I first went in December 1999 and spent the weekend with my eldest daughter, with the aide of much alcohol trying to justify my divorcing her dad, weather was baltic as was my daughters mood. Got there in the end, second time was December 2001, a very sad visit indeed. I went with some friends from work, we had an Apple Greeters tour and he took us round the Churches around Ground Zero where the firemen and others took time off for R&R. I shed many tears on that trip. The third was in December 2003. We landed and it started to snow, and did it snow!. We stayed in the Trump Hotel on the corner of Central Park, what a view, absolutely beautiful!. I had arranged a trip to a male strip club on one of our evenings, Jeez, what a laugh!. There is a picture of me with a stripper sitting astride me that surfices every birthday at my place of work. LOL. My friend manhandled one of the strippers, he obviously wasn't used to us Northern girls, and I have to tell you what she felt was not real!

@benwj, not sure where you call home, I once got the impression you may have been asian, when you asked me to post my vital statistics on line LOL, I have revised my idea and now wonder if you are Australian? If you are, I haven't been there but that accent makes my toes curl, in a good way. Please clarify your routes benwj.

@Zubber, well you've already said you are Indian. The only time I've set foot there was on the way to Singapore c/o the RAF, so can't really comment but to say our local does a good Onion Bargee :D Hope you have got a sense of humour Zubber or you will face a difficult time here at DF!

@Joe, home is where the heart is Joe, but it makes life easier when you can watch Citeh every weekend, but you not being a footie fan that won't mean much.

And last but not least DDS, my little munchkin, conspicuous by your absence on this topic. :wink:
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:@benwj, not sure where you call home, I once got the impression you may have been asian, when you asked me to post my vital statistics on line LOL, I have revised my idea and now wonder if you are Australian? If you are, I haven't been there but that accent makes my toes curl, in a good way. Please clarify your routes benwj.

BM, I meant that I now call Dubai home... which I don't like saying too often.
But, if I said that I was an Aussie, would that knock Herve off his perch???
benwj

benwj, BM is a sucker for an accent and an under dog. Just look at where my footie alliances lie. c'mon spill.

-- Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:49 pm --

benwj, I see you are quoting the price of a meat pie on another topic. Is this to mislead BM? Do they have meat pies in Aus and do they warm up on the Barbie? I have had another thought :?: are you a brit? I hope you haven't eaten all the pies and need DDS's fitness video, another fat fu**er? I do hope not!!
Bethsmum

Re: The View From BM's Window. Dec 06, 2010
Bethsmum wrote:benwj, BM is a sucker for an accent and an under dog. Just look at where my footie alliances lie. c'mon spill.
Sorry, I didn't take note of your football team. Is it Sunderland?
But I don't follow soccer, therefore I am not British.
Bethsmum wrote:I see you are quoting the price of a meat pie on another topic. Is this to mislead BM? Do they have meat pies in Aus and do they warm up on the Barbie? I have had another thought :?: are you a brit? I hope you haven't eaten all the pies and need DDS's fitness video, another fat fu**er? I do hope not!!
I am quite partial to the odd meat pie or several. But I can still see my :shock: , so I haven't resorted to fitness videos yet.
benwj

That's ok benjw, BM likes a man whom she can cuddle! No, my team is not Sunderland, although local to me. IMO men shouldn't need fitness videos. Regular execise should suffice to keep one fit. I can offer some fitness advice by PM if needed.
Bethsmum

heh, Im Down with dat BM, Onion Bargee , from what i understand brits are familiar with indian foods right ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Zubber, you can bring anything to my table as long as you look like Usher, oh my gosh. Usher makes me want to say oh my GOSH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTJLzaUk ... re=related
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:Zubber, you can bring anything to my table as long as you look like Usher, oh my gosh. Usher makes me want to say oh my GOSH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTJLzaUk ... re=related

haha Usher fan eh , kud0s BM, Your all-right :mrgreen:
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:Zubber, you can bring anything to my table as long as you look like Usher, oh my gosh. Usher makes me want to say oh my GOSH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTJLzaUk ... re=related

haha Usher fan eh , kud0s BM, Your all-right :mrgreen:

BM likes any young man who can do an Usher Impression.
Bethsmum

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

So am i LOL
Bethsmum

Great view. I like snow.

But there is nothing like an autumn in New York (the real thing, not the book or moview).
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

kanelli wrote:I'm dreaming of a white Christmas...

Why is this christmas festival associated with snow ? I even hear the same sentiments in those christmas carols ? I dont get it ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Ambassador wrote:Great view. I like snow.

But there is nothing like an autumn in New York (the real thing, not the book or moview).

The place to be in the Autumn is Canada. I spent a few days at Niagra On The Lake (I think that's what it was called) and the colours were amazing. Spectacular.

-- Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:42 pm --

zubber wrote:
kanelli wrote:I'm dreaming of a white Christmas...

Why is this christmas festival associated with snow ? I even hear the same sentiments in those christmas carols ? I dont get it ?

Its coz Christmas falls in December Zubber, and that's in the winter, simples :D
Bethsmum

^^ Um but christmas is even celebrated in countries where it doesnt snow in the winter ? The winter bit I get, but association with snow ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

That would be more associated with St Nicholas, who is now called Father Christmas or Santa Claus. He was actually German and there is a story about him walking miles through the snow to deliver presents to deserving children at an orphanage...which where the whole present and climbing down the chimney thing comes from.

He originally wore a long green cloak with a white fur lined hood, however Coca Cola hijacked him in the 1930's and dressed him in their corporate red for an advertisement. Ever since then, he has appeared in red.

December the 25th is actually the date of the winter solstice (shortest day) and in pagan northern Europe was traditionally celebrated with feasting and the burning of a large log for the community to keep warm. In order to defuse the continued pagan worship of the sun, the early Christians church leaders deliberately manipulated the dates of the nativity story to co-incide with the winter solstice. Apparently Jesus was actually born in March, but this also fell too close to the celebration of Easter for their liking.

The traditional christmas feast was originally goose, however the introduction of turkeys from America in the 1700's and a desire by the breeders to sell their wares, involved them hijacking the American celebration of Thanksgiving and making turkey the choice to feed many hungry mouths as the birds were large enough to amply stuff a large family.

Christmas cards began being sent in the late 1800's/early 1900's due to the introduction of an efficient mail service and the card companies soon latched onto the feeding frenzy.

As a result, christmas is now a commercial pond filled with sharks circling around your blood money.

Don't get me wrong, I love the whole thing! The smell of pine needles, the tinsel, the shiny glass balls, the glittering presents under the tree, Slade and Wham on the stereo...

I just try and stay away from the more commercial aspects and see it as a time to enjoy the company of friends and give a little cheer.

:king: :reindeer: :santa:

Knight
Dubai Knight

^^ hey thanks again for the detailed reply knight , I didnt know this christmas thing was this complicated, although I do enjoy those coke ads for christmas heh
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:^^ Um but christmas is even celebrated in countries where it doesnt snow in the winter ? The winter bit I get, but association with snow ?

That was well over your head Zubber :D

-- Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:33 pm --

Don't get me wrong, I love the whole thing! The smell of pine needles, the tinsel, the shiny glass balls, the glittering presents under the tree, Slade and Wham on the stereo...

Ah DK, you nearly made BM cry there! Don't be polishing them balls too hard will you?
Bethsmum

^^ true bm, im not afraid to claim it, im of average intelligence only *nodding*
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: The View From BM's Window. Dec 07, 2010
@BM - What gave you the idea that I didn't follow footie? I lived in england long enough to consider myself at least part british even though I wasn't brought up there. :D
While I don't support Mancherster "Citeh" I do support....I hope this doesn't to any animosity....Tottenham..."common you spurs". Yep...not your nemisis Man U but "we" (I love saying "we" even though I contribued nothing) did steal the 4th spot from you and a champions league place....hope we can still be friends :D

How do you feel good about the locals buying you guys up and investing a gazillion? Do you think it will get you the title in the next 3 years?
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat