In The Mind Of A Troll

Topic locked
In the mind of a troll Nov 08, 2010
I was wondering what goes on inside the mind of a troll, specialy as this place attracts more troll than bears to a open picnic basket in the woods. Like what are they thinking what keeps them going. And what do they think about themselves ? Attention Wh0res ?

Like our latest infection, endless cut and pastes even after having been banned twice and ridiculed many times. What does he think, that does anybody actually read that or does he has any respect left within our virtual community here, and if so why does he keep comming back while full knowing no one is going to take him seriously ? Latest incartion tried to blend in for a while but couldn't keep up the charade for long and went back to his old habbits.

And shafs little pet, what does he think ? its been more than a year of endless anti Islamic rants and raves without having achieved anything. Does he really think that he might actually convert or as he most probably would like to think enlighten anyone. Why would someone living half way across the globe waste so much time and effort in an excersise like this beyond me ?

Trolls in my opinion, Strictly one trick ponies, like a smelly old drunk pervert who lives in you neighbour hood, that nobody likes and tries to avoid but he just don't get it and show up at every party and annoy the heck out of everyone with their same old boring stories.

IMO DF would be a better place if we got rid of our troll infestations rapidly rather than be tree hugging pro lifer green eco warriorish bleeding hearts and wait for years until the infestations spreads.

Anymore inputs in regards to the inner workings of a how a trolls ticks would be great.

desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: In the mind of a troll Nov 08, 2010
I dont know DDS. Perhaps if you can explain yourself why you need to use derogatory terminology for people who disgaree with you, you can find the answer :!:
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: In The Mind Of A Troll Nov 08, 2010
Almost everyone I know disagrees with me on one subject or the other and this post has nothing to do with me. We or atleast I until now am talking about trolls, including our current infestions here on the forum

Just in case you didn't know what I was talking about
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29
desertdudeshj

For one moment DDS I thought you were refering to me as I think you have called me a troll in the past...or was it Mel? No matter! Then when i saw wh0re mentioned i thought, no way, that's a new one! Now I know you're going to say 'if the cap fits, wear it'. LOL Have a nice day! :D
Bethsmum

I think he's talking about indiansummer and event horizon, for example.

Trolls suck!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

^ You must be a vacuum.

Oh, I guess it's only a matter of time before dumber's better half, dumb, shows up to troll this thread good.

event horizon

Oh event horizon, you aren't all fire and brimstone after all! A sense of humour! Fantastic. :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

I do get what DD is trying to say. Yes, people, who are obsessed with only one thing, are really annoying.

By constantly harping on one issue, like being anti-Jews, anti-US, anti-Islam, you’re not actually supporting your cause. To the contrary, you are doing it a disservice.

When you’re always highlighting the negative, and ignoring the positive, in anything, the credibility of your argument immediately becomes questionable.

Nearly in every ideology, or a philosophy, or even a simple opinion, you can find good and bad aspects.

There is no place for closed-minded people in our open-information age of today.

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

got to agree with DD here, all EH has done is just copied and posted links from other anti-islamic websites.

I dont know why he does it but I can imagine he probably had a bad experience with one muslim and he now thinks that all muslims are bad. Or maybe he was brought up to think that muslims are evil etc etc you shouldnt touch them you might get a disease etc.

honestly speaking if we ignore him and stop posting in his posts he will eventually go away. but if we keep on replying to his post he will come back for more.

so just ignore him and dont reply to post.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

We've had some trolls that come and go - chevallier, for example. He's rabidly anti-many things, but is really a charicature and can laugh at himself at times. He may even be some regular poster just having fun.

My experiment with the pet has sort of back-fired, and I'm starting to resemble the pet - not a nice prospect! ;)

I did want to prove the adage - give a guy enough rope and they'll hang themselves, and we have a thread dedicated to the extremists utterances of our witty poster above. But we've unfortunately seen a lack of shame to along with the extreme and distorted views. (That and a long list of questions that remain unanswered - from rapture to talking donkeys).

But hey, I've been shown the error of my ways and am trying to stop enabling trolls.

Step one:
My name is Shafique and I'm a troll baiter. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Step one:

Cheers,
Shafique

I thought you were going to say My Name is Khan, and I'm Not a Terrorist!!! :lol: :lol:

Well....Go for it Buddy!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Shafique is a geniune troll. He is obsessed with Israel bashing, baiting and cannot help himself with some serious mud throwing when somebody annoys him with pointing out his lies and bigotry. Event horizon certainly focusses on Islam. Then again, I think Islam is a more valid discussion point on DF than the constant Israel bashing. I dont agree with everything that event horizon posts, but he does have some good points. When those points are made count on some mud slinging from Shafique and DDS. Although DDS is not a full blown troll, he certainly shows some trolly behaviour. In general, mods (with a very few exceptions) are doing a very bad job in here imo.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Tom Jones wrote:
shafique wrote:Step one:

Cheers,
Shafique

I thought you were going to say My Name is Khan, and I'm Not a Terrorist!!! :lol: :lol:

Are you calling me a dog's name! I'm offended!! :shock:

:) :)

Did you watch that film - I hear it is quite good - but I'm allergic to Indian movies (my wife and kids love them though).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Flying Dutchman wrote:Shafique is a geniune troll. He is obsessed with Israel bashing, baiting and cannot help himself with some serious mud throwing when somebody annoys him with pointing out his lies and bigotry. Event horizon certainly focusses on Islam. Then again, I think Islam is a more valid discussion point on DF than the constant Israel bashing. I dont agree with everything that event horizon posts, but he does have some good points. When those points are made count on some mud slinging from Shafique and DDS. Although DDS is not a full blown troll, he certainly shows some trolly behaviour. In general, mods (with a very few exceptions) are doing a very bad job in here imo.

I have to agree with you on all points.

Shafique: I give you credit for seeing yourself as contributing to the same behavior as EH, but somehow I think you were a bit mild in critiquing yourself. You are not just a troll-baiter, you are a troll. You start as many threads as EH does. Although you are not a cut and paste kind of guy, it doesn't make you any less of a troll than EH. You always seem to rise to the occasion when EH posts something, and vice versa. I think alot of what you post is for the benefit of EH and seeing what his reaction is, again vice versa.

DDS: You claim that you get a reaction from some people when they don't agree with you. Well I have seen your reaction when YOU don't agree with people, without explaining your opinion as to why you disagree in a conversational matter. It generally ends up being put forth with a twist of you being nasty. One of the understandings should be: we agree to disagree. Even by disagreeing and having a discussion, people may just have something to say that can allow one to think and see something from a different view.

Islam: could make for very interesting discussions if it isn't used 99% of the time to be compared with Jews. Islam is a religion, and could be discussed in a religion vs. religion sense, as in Judism. There are discussion about Islam as a religion, but general reference to Muslims is a reference to the religion. Whereas Jews are Jews - people, not reference to religion. People are quick to refer to Islam or the Koran to justify arguments, but I don't think I have ever seen the Torah referred to. Jewish people live their lives based on the Torah as Muslims live their lives based on the Koran. I caught a partial discussion on the radio today about an Egyptian who has translated the Koran where he attempts to give a translation for the here and now - basically taking it out of the dark ages. He hasn't rewritten it, just gave it his interpretation through translation to help people - Muslims and non-Muslims. Apparently it will be quite a crowd-drawer and certainly will help non-Muslims to have a better understanding of Islam. (I will be looking for it as I am sure it will an interesting read.)

Mods: When I first joined DF I questioned one mod about behavior (posting comments). I was told "just because I'm a mod doesn't mean I can't participate and I am free to say what I want" (something to that effect). DF is a forum that gives alot of leeway to the members in their expression of speech. I have yet to see forums that have "fight club" and that is because they are strictly monitored. I have to say, what has been expressed on DF would have probably caused other forums to have been shut down (those operating in the UAE) either by choice or force. Every moderator here, those that actually exist, is at fault to one degree or another, sometimes more, sometimes less, and that includes threads that should have gone to fight club earlier than they did.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora - fair points indeed.

I'm all for discussing Islam as a religion. I make a clear distinction between actions of Israel and Palestine and Judaism and Islam (in fact, my main criticism of the 'others' is that they conflate Islam the religion with a political struggle in Israel/Palestine). When discussing Israel - the point I keep making is that it is NOT about religion (the Torah does not say steal Palestinian land, nor does the Quran say kill all Jews and drive them into the sea).

The new translation of the Quran sounds interesting. I have a Penguin paper-back edition from a few years back where it is translated into more modern terms - and the chapters are re-arranged to suit the subject matter and make it flow better (I think that was the intention). The translation is good - but even that admits that it can't capture the full meanings of the Arabic word - I mean just have a look at the meaning of the word Islam in the article I posted today in the religion forum.

Your assessment that many of the threads are aimed at EH is accurate - that's what I was calling the troll-baiting. As for rising to his posts - that again, guilty as charged. Both are going to be curbed by me - and I'll try and go back to highlighting issues that interest me and if they happen to irritate the other side, so be it - I'll try not to raise to the bait, but will clarify or give my opinion (once) where necessary.

I was fully aware of the fact that the exchanges with eh are more heat-generating than light-generating - and that I was being self-indulgent in the baiting, but I've grown tired of that now and will desist.

But let me be judged on future posts and hopefully I won't relapse too many times. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Moderation definitely needs an overhaul here.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

:cheers: Shafique!!!

It's takes a big person to admit their mistakes, but then again anyone can get caught up into something without realizing it and sometimes it has to be pointed out to see it. You always had interesting discussions to offer, glad to see that you are going to get back on track. Look forward to reading your future posts. As for responding to EH when you think it is warranted, I don't think he has anything new to bring to the table. :lol: Think of the energy you save and be put to good by not responding to him!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Flying Dutchman wrote:I dont know DDS. Perhaps if you can explain yourself why you need to use derogatory terminology for people who disgaree with you, you can find the answer :!:

Flying Dutchman wrote:Shafique is a geniune troll. He is obsessed with Israel bashing, baiting and cannot help himself with some serious mud throwing when somebody annoys him with pointing out his lies and bigotry. Event horizon certainly focusses on Islam. Then again, I think Islam is a more valid discussion point on DF than the constant Israel bashing. I dont agree with everything that event horizon posts, but he does have some good points. When those points are made count on some mud slinging from Shafique and DDS. Although DDS is not a full blown troll, he certainly shows some trolly behaviour. In general, mods (with a very few exceptions) are doing a very bad job in here imo.
Bora Bora wrote:
I have to agree with you on all points.

Shafique: I give you credit for seeing yourself as contributing to the same behavior as EH, but somehow I think you were a bit mild in critiquing yourself. You are not just a troll-baiter, you are a troll. You start as many threads as EH does. Although you are not a cut and paste kind of guy, it doesn't make you any less of a troll than EH. You always seem to rise to the occasion when EH posts something, and vice versa. I think alot of what you post is for the benefit of EH and seeing what his reaction is, again vice versa.

DDS: You claim that you get a reaction from some people when they don't agree with you. Well I have seen your reaction when YOU don't agree with people, without explaining your opinion as to why you disagree in a conversational matter. It generally ends up being put forth with a twist of you being nasty. One of the understandings should be: we agree to disagree. Even by disagreeing and having a discussion, people may just have something to say that can allow one to think and see something from a different view.

Islam: could make for very interesting discussions if it isn't used 99% of the time to be compared with Jews. Islam is a religion, and could be discussed in a religion vs. religion sense, as in Judism. There are discussion about Islam as a religion, but general reference to Muslims is a reference to the religion. Whereas Jews are Jews - people, not reference to religion. People are quick to refer to Islam or the Koran to justify arguments, but I don't think I have ever seen the Torah referred to. Jewish people live their lives based on the Torah as Muslims live their lives based on the Koran. I caught a partial discussion on the radio today about an Egyptian who has translated the Koran where he attempts to give a translation for the here and now - basically taking it out of the dark ages. He hasn't rewritten it, just gave it his interpretation through translation to help people - Muslims and non-Muslims. Apparently it will be quite a crowd-drawer and certainly will help non-Muslims to have a better understanding of Islam. (I will be looking for it as I am sure it will an interesting read.)

Mods: When I first joined DF I questioned one mod about behavior (posting comments). I was told "just because I'm a mod doesn't mean I can't participate and I am free to say what I want" (something to that effect). DF is a forum that gives alot of leeway to the members in their expression of speech. I have yet to see forums that have "fight club" and that is because they are strictly monitored. I have to say, what has been expressed on DF would have probably caused other forums to have been shut down (those operating in the UAE) either by choice or force. Every moderator here, those that actually exist, is at fault to one degree or another, sometimes more, sometimes less, and that includes threads that should have gone to fight club earlier than they did.

Hear Hear, to all of the above.

My wishlist for change would include;
One set of guidelines for the entire forum with no personal or thread specific interpretation.
Moderators should be global and not thread specific.
Any moderating should be Time and Date stamped and should include a brief reason for the edit or deletion.
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: In the mind of a troll Nov 09, 2010
I don't think you can call someone like shafique an actual troll. Trolling is a deliberate attempt to stifle or disrupt discussion - kind of how Desert throws his fits in the Politics forum whenever someone posts a topic he doesn't like, that's trolling.

For shafique's part, and as someone who knows how shafique has behaved on the other forum with complaints coming from all the members who posted in the sub-forum against him, it's hard to believe that anyone could deliberately be that dumb.

To me, it seems like shafique's 'denseness' is definitely something that was ingrained in him from early on and that he has little control over now.

And really, it isn't just non-Muslims who have complained about his posting style. Anyone who disagrees with him notices that he's very far from rational or capable of understanding the position of his opponents, often deliberately taking their arguments out of context and saying, 'I'm glad you agree with me, blah blah blah'.

As I said before, I encourage anyone to challenge him on an issue in the politics forum just to witness first hand what a loon this guy is. I'm not trying to make excuses, but perhaps part of the problem is that shafique is a numbers person, and numbers people don't know how to communicate very well.

It was a mistake to make this person a mod. I would actually say that Desert has a slightly higher IQ than shafique, it's just that Desert is too mentally weak to deal with people on an online forum in a mature manner.

So really, we have two active mods that should never have been made mods. But at least you can only go up after hitting rock bottom.
event horizon

Re: In The Mind Of A Troll Nov 09, 2010
You know what eh, your criticisms would mean more if you had some credibility. The whole reason you post on this forum is to be a troll in the Politics and Religion section and rile up some Mooslims. Don't pretend to care about the moderating.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:Moderation definitely needs an overhaul here.

We're waiting for your suggestions on how to improve moderation in this Forum!!

Hurry up, Mrs. K!!!

Did you know that you're also one of my sweet darlings on DF??

I thought I'd throw that in, in case you thought I only loved BB and BM!!! :) :)

And you too, Chocs!!!!. But you knew that already, didn't you??? :)

:D :D
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

event horizon wrote:I don't think you can call someone like shafique an actual troll. Trolling is a deliberate attempt to stifle or disrupt discussion - kind of how Desert throws his fits in the Politics forum whenever someone posts a topic he doesn't like, that's trolling.

For shafique's part, and as someone who knows how shafique has behaved on the other forum with complaints coming from all the members who posted in the sub-forum against him, it's hard to believe that anyone could deliberately be that dumb.

To me, it seems like shafique's 'denseness' is definitely something that was ingrained in him from early on and that he has little control over now.

And really, it isn't just non-Muslims who have complained about his posting style. Anyone who disagrees with him notices that he's very far from rational or capable of understanding the position of his opponents, often deliberately taking their arguments out of context and saying, 'I'm glad you agree with me, blah blah blah'.

As I said before, I encourage anyone to challenge him on an issue in the politics forum just to witness first hand what a loon this guy is. I'm not trying to make excuses, but perhaps part of the problem is that shafique is a numbers person, and numbers people don't know how to communicate very well.

It was a mistake to make this person a mod. I would actually say that Desert has a slightly higher IQ than shafique, it's just that Desert is too mentally weak to deal with people on an online forum in a mature manner.

So really, we have two active mods that should never have been made mods. But at least you can only go up after hitting rock bottom.

This coming from you!!! ROFLMAO!!! I have to congratulate you for getting through an entire post without a cut and paste. Is this your attempt at humor because it has to be the laugh of the day.

You don't encourage anything, you antagonize!!!! Communicate???? Well cut and paste is not a form of communication.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Good points! I totally agree...
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Tom Jones wrote:

Hurry up, Mrs. K!!!

I thought I'd throw that in, in case you thought I only loved BB and BM!!! :) :)

Be careful, BM and uaekid will soon protest about your behaviour ;)

I'm working on something about rules and moderation, but had a frazzling day today, so need more time to finish it.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Flying Dutchman wrote:In general, mods (with a very few exceptions) are doing a very bad job in here imo.

FD, I started a thread asking for contributions as how members of DF think moderation can be changed to improve the forum. You posted and then deleted. A broad statement such as above critizing how it is being handled doesn't help unless you support that statement and point out where you think changes need to be made. Take some time and be more specific.

It seems that I'm the only mod who is looking to put something together that could make DF a better forum. I guess it was a bit dumb of me to think it could actually work. Silly me.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

kanelli wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:

Hurry up, Mrs. K!!!

Be careful, BM and uaekid will soon protest about your behaviour ;)

I'm working on something about rules and moderation, but had a frazzling day today, so need more time to finish it.

The only thing I'm going to protest about is that TJ is spreading himself a bit thinly in the lady department. What is this? TJ's hareem? And there was me thinking I was THE one :(
Bethsmum

This coming from you!!! ROFLMAO!!! I have to congratulate you for getting through an entire post without a cut and paste. Is this your attempt at humor because it has to be the laugh of the day.

You don't encourage anything, you antagonize!!!! Communicate???? Well cut and paste is not a form of communication.

Copy/paste what?

I would be happy to wager that as a percentage of my threads, the ones that are pasted and linked is lower than most of other members in this forum.

In the beginning, I also added my own comments to the threads and only pasted the relevant sections - as we're now doing - before the trolls in question ran interference and accused me and others of 'selectively quoting' articles, etc.

I've also started a number of threads where I simply typed up what I had to say, but those too were trolled/spammed by our site's moderators.

By the time I would copy/paste an article in full without any comment, the active members of the subforums I posted in were well underway of doing the same, typically quoting newspaper editorials or opinion pieces they found on some rag, such as loonwatch.com.
event horizon

Better play by the rules buddy from now on as its gonna be a whole new ball game from now on.
desertdudeshj

What are these current rules, O Wise One?
event horizon

event horizon wrote:

Copy/paste what?

I would be happy to wager that as a percentage of my threads, the ones that are pasted and linked is lower than most of other members in this forum.

In the beginning, I also added my own comments to the threads and only pasted the relevant sections - as we're now doing - before the trolls in question ran interference and accused me and others of 'selectively quoting' articles, etc.

I've also started a number of threads where I simply typed up what I had to say, but those too were trolled/spammed by our site's moderators.

By the time I would copy/paste an article in full without any comment, the active members of the subforums I posted in were well underway of doing the same, typically quoting newspaper editorials or opinion pieces they found on some rag, such as loonwatch.com.

I confirm some of your statements, some posts have been deleted and edited in religions(not by me) and I tried to stop it but well I was not successful there!!!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat