To The Forum "Old Guard'

Topic locked
To the forum "Old Guard' Sep 23, 2009
You know who you are and why I'm writing this.

Let's make tonight a wonderful one and something to remember. We've made lots of wonderful friends through the forum, many of whom we can now call best friends who will be with us through thick and thin.

Let's put on our glad rags and turn up with hope in our hearts and a big smile on our faces and fill the air with laughter.

But it's a reminder to us all to cast aside those who would bring you down and treat you badly, and concentrate on those who bring you joy.

Looking forward to seeig you all. :D

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: To the forum "Old Guard' Sep 23, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:You know who you are and why I'm writing this.

Let's make tonight a wonderful one and something to remember. We've made lots of wonderful friends through the forum, many of whom we can now call best friends who will be with us through thick and thin.

Let's put on our glad rags and turn up with hope in our hearts and a big smile on our faces and fill the air with laughter.

But it's a reminder to us all to cast aside those who would bring you down and treat you badly, and concentrate on those who bring you joy.

Have a great time, please give my best regards to all.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: To the forum "Old Guard' Sep 23, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:You know who you are and why I'm writing this.

Upto here it sounds like a proper reminder/ invitation whatevr!

Chocoholic wrote:But it's a reminder to us all to cast aside those who would bring you down and treat you badly, and concentrate on those who bring you joy.

But this part, OMG Chocs, it's only a party right? Sounds almost like something I'd put on a wedding invitation! :D
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 23, 2009
So this so called old guard are they like silent shadows, who visit the forum alrit, but could'nt be bothered posting?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 23, 2009
You are truly a piece of work FC, obviously you have been planning this for a while "behind the scenes". Why the need to announce it? Oh wait, to remind us we weren't invited!!! hahahaha

I guess we will just have to sit home and sulk because we weren't invited. :crybaby:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Sep 23, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:You are truly a piece of work FC, obviously you have been planning this for a while "behind the scenes". Why the need to announce it? Oh wait, to remind us we weren't invited!!! hahahaha

I guess we will just have to sit home and sulk because we weren't invited. :crybaby:

Who or what is FC?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 23, 2009
The 'Old Guard' are pretty much the old timers round here, the forum members who've gotten to know each other personally and who have become good friends.

The message is for those who know what it's about and those who're absent, which is why it was addressed to them specifically.

Sage, I'll pass on your best and we'll take photos to send to you! :wink:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 23, 2009
Hey BB - MCL,

Have they all gone yet ?

"Old guard" - is 4 years what qualifies for a relationship these days in Dubai ?

I've had spots on my ar5e that I've had longer than that !!! :lol: In fact just had a look at a piece of Edam in the fidge - best before August 2002

I take it all the mods are out on the lager shandy night out :twisted: Don't know if Speedy is part of that crew as he seems to be a little too like me - teenage kids that you don't want to bump into down at the Barasti :?
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 24, 2009
"old" guard. Must be a bunch of old sad souls who by virtue of having arrived in Dubai ealier are dillusional in thinking that they know best. Besides, probably just out drinking like fools and guessing/gossiping about those members they've never met or mill never meet. Kinda funny in a sad way.
Ballbraker
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2009
He-he. Chocks puts a brave face on a sorry business. There are no mates from your British playground any more. They were all gone half a year ago. Nobody appreciate you because you managed to quarrel with every single DF members, poor girl.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 24, 2009
Actually it was a very nice evening.

Some of you really need to learn to read between the lines and learn to be sensitive.

Then you might realise why most of the 'Old Guard' are not present right now.

Anyway end of subject. Cheers for once again proving that some of you just can't help yourselves.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 24, 2009
Actually it was a very nice evening.

Some of you really need to learn to read between the lines and learn to be sensitive.

Then you might realise why most of the 'Old Guard' are not present right now.

Anyway end of subject. Cheers for once again proving that some of you just can't help yourselves.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 24, 2009
viking-warrior wrote:Hey BB - MCL,

Have they all gone yet ?

"Old guard" - is 4 years what qualifies for a relationship these days in Dubai ?

I've had spots on my ar5e that I've had longer than that !!! :lol: In fact just had a look at a piece of Edam in the fidge - best before August 2002

I take it all the mods are out on the lager shandy night out :twisted: Don't know if Speedy is part of that crew as he seems to be a little too like me - teenage kids that you don't want to bump into down at the Barasti :?

Don't count me in with her sad and plaintive post, you know what I think of this dumbass bint, less intelligence and sensitivity than a house brick, and her post was clearly set out to try to alienate. As you say, in a place like this some people seem desperate to call each other best friends after a couple of years. As someone else here said, she's just pissed that her friends have left and wants to cry about the good old days. Sign of getting old and being unable to cope with change, thanks Christ I never got old! :D

She's the only regular on these forums that gets my back up. People like Medvepronk and other trolls come and go. She's like a red rag to a bull to quite a few people here. But of course it's their fault, not hers......

TGIT (hursday)!:D

'I got a feeling....that tonight's gonna be a GOOD night!' Bustin tune, will be all over Dubai again tonight, have fun out there people!!!!

p.s. for Sage, FC = Fat Controller, I used it a couple of times to describe a certain person here and Bora latched onto it (she LOVES that person deeply). ;) :roll:
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 24, 2009
I received a message from the OP explaining the purpose of the get together. Unfortunately none of us who posted don't have the mental powers to read between the lines and therefore showed ignorance and insensitivity, especially to a thread that was announcing a "party".

IMHO, knowing what I know now, the thread should not have been started. The gathering should have remained private based on the purpose of the gathering.

The message should have been sent via PM (PRIVATE) as it was addressed to certain individuals, and not made public. I call it poor judgment on the OP.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Sep 24, 2009
I have also received and agree with Bora for 100%. Other option was saying it straighforward without adding some value and mystery to own person.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 24, 2009
Agreed, very poor reason to start a thread. Very bad feelings created I guess. No apology forthcoming I'm sure (we know her so forget that one).

BUT, you are both ignoring the not-so-hidden subtext: 'a reminder to us all to cast aside those who would bring you down and treat you badly'.

Lets face it, she was trolling with that bit, eh? That was for public consumption, sure enough.

Apart from the fact that she has been the only one ever of her precious 'old guard' to have been 'treated badly'.......wonder what they also really think of her?

Hey no PM for me....guess I'm not worth talking to :D :D :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 24, 2009
Speedhump wrote:Agreed, very poor reason to start a thread. Very bad feelings created I guess. No apology forthcoming I'm sure (we know her so forget that one).

BUT, you are both ignoring the not-so-hidden subtext: 'a reminder to us all to cast aside those who would bring you down and treat you badly'.

Lets face it, she was trolling with that bit, eh? That was for public consumption, sure enough.

Apart from the fact that she has been the only one ever of her precious 'old guard' to have been 'treated badly'.......wonder what they also really think of her?

Hey no PM for me....guess I'm not worth talking to :D :D :D

Actually I picked up on that bit 'a reminder.....blah blah blah". I thought she was actually excluding herself from all the frays that she started!!! I guess bringing you down and putting you down are two different downs. :roll:

I guess you are the privileged one. Unfortunately, she's still "talking" to me and RC.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Sep 24, 2009
Red Chief wrote:I have also received and agree with Bora for 100%. Other option was saying it straighforward without adding some value and mystery to own person.

Chief, straightforward, value and mystery. Isn't that what she's all about?? :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Sep 24, 2009
Well, dear, you are completely different. You still can't stop handling Brown Bear, can you? :wink:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 24, 2009
Red Chief wrote:Well, dear, you are totally different. You still can't stop handling Brown Bear, can you? :wink:

:lol: :lol: Big Brown Bear wuvs Bora.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Sep 24, 2009
Hehe

this is really getting amusiiingg... :))
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 24, 2009
Someone insists on booking a room in Burj Al Arab :oops: but I ain't sure that such big predators are allowed to stay in this hotel for safety reason. :wink:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 24, 2009
OMG, I hope they reinforce the bed and soundproof the room.....wild cat and brown bear each wanting to end up on top.....the fur would fly.... :idea: :oops:
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 25, 2009
Hey Chocs, I'm back in Dubai, glad the evening went of well, never mind this bunch of mindless fools, your post was with all the best intentions. I'm really sorry that some people just can't accept things for what they are.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 25, 2009
The snow in Paris is mainly in June, under the clock at Waterloo ???????

What is this a Len Deighton novel ? :shock:

Look, if someone died, then I am pretty sure that general condolences would be forthcoming from one and all, if someone got canned and had to leave, tough t1tty, no quarter given as none offered, and as for hidden messages, grow up and use the email addresses that you clearly have or suffer the consequences that us "mindless fools" are subjected to.

Or, I suppose, spell it out, what's to hide ?

The simpleton's won't comprehend, the retarded won't understand and the rest will leave it for what it is - A private matter that has no business on here other that it is centered on the vehicle that is DF ! :roll:
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 25, 2009
Look you bunch of Kretins leave Chocs alone. There was a hidden meaning in Chocs message, what she wanted to say was, but was far to subtle, polite and kind was.........

Arniegang ie ME will be meeting a few old friends from here, aka "old Guard". The reason the "old guard" will be meeting for a drink is that Arniegang ie ME, is dying and has terminal lung cancer, his days left on this earth are ticking away.

It will be the last time Arnie will be able to fly and wanted to say farewell to some of the good and lovely people he has met and befriended on this forum.

I hope this clarifies things clears up any further confusion.

And finally................ to all the old guard. It has been a pleasure knowing ALL of you, yes ALL of you. I know we haven't all seen eye to eye over the last 4 years, but thats real life, not forum life. Be lucky, be happy and be healthy - thats all in life that really matters please believe me. The money and goodies in life ?? You decide on that one.

Over and Out.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 25, 2009
That must have been tough for you to write, and I salute your grit & honesty.

I trust that you will keep fighting - good luck.

:occasion5:
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 25, 2009
arniegang wrote:Look you bunch of Kretins leave Chocs alone. There was a hidden meaning in Chocs message, what she wanted to say was, but was far to subtle, polite and kind was.........

Arniegang ie ME will be meeting a few old friends from here, aka "old Guard". The reason the "old guard" will be meeting for a drink is that Arniegang ie ME, is dying and has terminal lung cancer, his days left on this earth are ticking away.

It will be the last time Arnie will be able to fly and wanted to say farewell to some of the good and lovely people he has met and befriended on this forum.

I hope this clarifies things clears up any further confusion.

And finally................ to all the old guard. It has been a pleasure knowing ALL of you, yes ALL of you. I know we haven't all seen eye to eye over the last 4 years, but thats real life, not forum life. Be lucky, be happy and be healthy - thats all in life that really matters please believe me. The money and goodies in life ?? You decide on that one.

Over and Out.

Are you serious Arnie?

I hope you’re joking about dying of lung cancer. But if true, I’m sorry to hear about it. Have not seen any posts from you for a long time.

Stay tough and strong! We’ll keep you in our thoughts and payers!

:( :(
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 26, 2009
Sorry to hear about your situation Arnie (if you weren't joking).

-------------
Choc's I'm still confused about something...

Why post about a party on here when all but a couple of the "old guard" members are active?

I mean, me and my football teammates used to regularly frequent a particular pub after our games (years ago). I could head down there now and put up a poster on the wall announcing that "the ol' team" are having a party amongst themselves and no one else is invited... but I think that would be borderline sad.. actually, it would be very sad.

P.s, Email is your friend.

dresden
Dubai chat master

Sep 26, 2009
Arniegang, sorry to here that - if true (after all, this is a form). However, it still seems like an unnecsassary post which may alienate new membersby leading them to believe they are not in the "click" (well, at least those needy ones). Sounds to me like this so called "old guard" would know about the "event" either by pm, phone or e-mail othewise ,I would not think they would be part of the so called "old guard".

Clearly, no explanation on your part would have been necessary had the OP not been made. Or maybe that was the purpose!

Anyhow, enjoy everyday and don't give up!
Ballbraker
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat