Stealing Your Neighbours Wi-Fi

Topic locked
Stealing Your neighbours Wi-Fi Jul 28, 2008
Stealing Your neighbours Wi-Fi

To a growing number of Internet piggy-backers, it's the sweet sound of pirating their neighbor's wireless network.

Most new computers are equipped for wireless Internet access, and more and more people are opting for Wi-Fi in their homes. But as the networks become stronger and more prevalent, more of those signals are available outside the home of the subscriber, spilling over into neighbor's apartments, hallways and the street.

Add to this the growing number of cafes and other public "hot spots" that offer Wi-Fi (for wireless fidelity) connections and the ability to buy more powerful antennas that can pick up signals several hundred feet away. The coverage in some places can be pretty near flawless.

One study by Jupiter Research said 14 percent of wireless network owners have accessed their neighbor's connection. Yet anecdotal evidence suggests that more and more people are logging on for free.

Many of my pals are currently using their neighbors Wi-Fi or in worst scenarios some strangers who they know nothing about . People with Wi-Fi enabled Cell phones usually tend to scan for Unprotected wire less networks nearby when they are sitting ideal or bored.

Will this land you in jail?

In Dubai I Don't think you need to worry much about when you are accessing a Unprotected wireless network , Though it can get your Privacy at risk. Most of the people in Dubai are very uneducated with regard to the security aspect of a computer . I bet most of the people with Wi-Fi networks wouldn't even know you were accessing their internet.

Exposing yourself

Legal questions aside, reliability is another reason to pay for your own access. If you are a heavy user or need the Internet to work from home, relying on a connection that your neighbor could shut off at any moment is probably not a good idea.

There is also the possibility that someone could have set up the unsecured connection as a trap. Experts say it's possible for the network subscriber to gain at least partial access to your computer, read your e-mails and see the pages you visit if you are using their connection. Any personal information you send online could then be compromised.

So while pirating your neighbor's Wi-Fi it may seem like a good way to siphon a free service, you may end up feeling pretty stupid if you get a summons for sneaking a peek at the latest sports scores or your favorite Web sites are the topic of conversation at the neighbor's party .

Caution is the key

Cheers

RS

Source : http://www.dxbunderground.com/blog

dude91
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 28, 2008
Well simply password your wi-fi so no-one else can access it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

yes.. Jul 28, 2008
that can be done .......
Most of the wifi user know nothing about it though...

how about me posting a tutorial on how to secure your wifi connetion?
dude91
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 28, 2008
true true true,, from where i live i could get 3 unsecured connections outside of my own. and my laptop automatically gets it sometimes i'm surprised my using a different network-- just says 'internet connected'
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

yerp Jul 28, 2008
lol dats wt its abt........we live in a world of technically unaware personelles

and the connection which are secured are often with default passwords...i am gonna post them soon !

Visit me at http://www.dxbunderground.com/blog
dude91
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat