Staggering Wedding Cost: $6,000,00,000+

Topic locked
Staggering Wedding Cost: $6,000,00,000+ May 01, 2011
Actual cost of Friday’s Royal Wedding: $70,000,000.

Real cost to the British economy: $6,000,000,000!!!!!

Does this make it the world’s most expensive wedding???

I don't know!!!! But I know this much:

It is definitely unwise to squander away this enormous amount of money when you’re facing a $256 billion deficit this year!!!

http://www.industryleadersmagazine.com/ ... 0-million/

8) 8)

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Staggering Wedding Cost: $6,000,00,000+ May 01, 2011
But I bet that doesn't take into account the amount of money that was earned during the wedding!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Good luck to the happy couple I say.

People will always try their best to ruin a happy story, they are just plain jealous, and for sure they will never include the positive effect.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

1st x-mas day is on a Sunday this year, so the working day missed during the wedding, which according to OP cost 6 billion, will be compensated on X-mas.

I have nothing with royalties, but I find the calculation very discusable. This was a national holiday for the Brits. A day of national pride. Its hard to put a price on that. Next to that the royal British family is an export product.

How much does 4th of July cost to the US? I bet Americans would not want to miss 4th of July even it saves billion of dollars. Same for National Day in the UAE.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I think you'll find that the Prince of Wales footed the bill for most of the wedding. It wasn't even classed as a full state occasion. What it did cost the taxpayer should be recouped in income to the Country generated by current and future tourism. Speculate to accumulate.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Chocoholic wrote:But I bet that doesn't take into account the amount of money that was earned during the wedding!

The beneficial side of the wedding (in tourism) is also mentioned in the article to be about $1 billion.

So the net cost is still estimated to be about $ 5 billion.

8) 8)

-- Sun May 01, 2011 4:11 pm --

Flying Dutchman wrote:1st x-mas day is on a Sunday this year, so the working day missed during the wedding, which according to OP cost 6 billion, will be compensated on X-mas.

Not True!

When Christmas Day falls on a Sunday in the UK, Tuesday will be a public holiday, which this year is going to be on Tue Dec. 27th, 2011.

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Tom Jones wrote:
Flying Dutchman wrote:1st x-mas day is on a Sunday this year, so the working day missed during the wedding, which according to OP cost 6 billion, will be compensated on X-mas.

Not True!

When Christmas Day falls on a Sunday in the UK, Tuesday will be a public holiday, which this year is going to be on Tue Dec. 27th, 2011.

8) 8)

I stand corrected.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Tom Jones wrote:It is definitely unwise to squander away this enormous amount of money when you’re facing a $256 billion deficit this year!!!
8) 8)

Squander? Surely TJ you mean invest! :lol:

UK-US Debt.jpg
UK-US Debt Comparison

Well it strikes me that if anyone should be getting their finances in order it should be the US shouldn’t it? And we have the Royal Family to help us to recover our national debt, who do you have, oh yes, Hilary Clinton and a President who has to publish his birth certificate in the public domain to prove to the citizens of the US that he really is an American? :lol: :lol: !

UK per capita debt is 72.21% of GNI/Capita, US per capita debt is 100.42% of GNI/Capita

UK Debt is 84.95% of GDP, US Debt is a staggering 101.23% of GDP ! And with all this debt you still have more public holidays than the UK!

Roll on the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee next Year so we can invest another 70m and export a little more British tradition, ceremonial pomp and history in the making and lets also see if we can beat the record worldwide audience of over 2 Billion!! Sour Grapes really isn't an attractive quality is it?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

How could it cost that much?? Is it really 6 Billion, and not 6 million dollars? o_O
07days
Dubai Forum Guest

A vague estimate. May 01, 2011
The figure of $6,000,000,000 is a vague estimate by the CBI of the cost of a day's domestic output granted for the Public holiday for the Wedding, the cost of the wedding is estimated at around $70,000,000
Dillon

I find figure extremely hard to believe and as I said before, I bet it doesn't take into account then amount of money that's been made because of the wedding.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

So put a price on the Olympics next year...and what will it generate in income?

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Staggering Wedding Cost: $6,000,00,000+ May 02, 2011
Dillon wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:It is definitely unwise to squander away this enormous amount of money when you’re facing a $256 billion deficit this year!!!
8) 8)

UK-US Debt.jpg

Well it strikes me that if anyone should be getting their finances in order it should be the US shouldn’t it? And we have the Royal Family to help us to recover our national debt, who do you have, oh yes, Hilary Clinton and a President who has to publish his birth certificate in the public domain to prove to the citizens of the US that he really is an American? :lol: :lol: !

What’s your problem, Dude????

What’s your beef with America and Americans??

This thread is about the cost of the royal wedding, not about America!

And what’s this sour grapes shiit you're talking about, over not having royals of our own??

Who gives a hoot about your royals, anyway???

If we wanted royals, we would’ve not kicked out your king’s royal a*ss in 1776.

We’ve moved on, Pal….this is 2011!!

We don’t live in an ancient-times monarchy, as loyal subjects to some over-the-hill king or queen -- as you still do!

That’s the gratitude we get for saving your nation from being eaten up by the Nazis in WWII!!! Now I wish we didn't do that!!

So wise up, Dude…. and know your size.

The UK is no match to the greatest nation on earth, the United States of America!!

If you’re still not yet convinced, meet me outside the Wild Horse Saloon at high noon tomorrow for a one-to-one showdown. And I’ll show you what we're made of.. real quick!!

Don't be late!!!Ya hear!!!

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

:shock: Geez Dillon, I don't think in the history of the US anyone/the government spent $6 billon on a wedding. Even the daughters of sitting presidents didn't get a wedding that called for the country to basically shut down and the weddings were paid for by the families.

But I'm going off topic here. This thread is about the Royal Wedding in the UK. :)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Tom Jones wrote:
The UK is no match to the greatest nation on earth, the United States of America!!

If you’re still not yet convinced, meet me outside the Wild Horse Saloon at high noon tomorrow for a one-to-one showdown. And I’ll show you what we're made of.. real quick!!

Careful TJ, Dillon will be the one in the tank!

Knight
Dubai Knight

Tom Jones wrote:That’s the gratitude we get for saving your nation from being eaten up by the Nazis in WWII!!! Now I wish we didn't do that!!!

Those young men died for our freedoms, for which we owe a huge amount of gratitude. They died so we can freely discuss and critizise. Your remark is a big disgrace for those who died on foreign soil!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Tom Jones wrote:
Dillon wrote:
8) 8)

UK-US Debt.jpg

What’s your problem, Dude????

What’s your beef with America and Americans??

This thread is about the cost of the royal wedding, not about America!

And what’s this sour grapes shiit you're talking about, over not having royals of our own??

Who gives a hoot about your royals, anyway???

Well TJ, who’s lost their sense of humour now :) well where do I start? What a list! It looks like you’ve been harbouring (notice the ‘u’) this one for quite a while :lol:

More to the point TJ what is your fascination with the British and Great Britain? I would estimate that around 90% (that’s nine out of ten! For those who don’t understand percentages) :) of your posts, are about negative British news items from British and International tabloids, of which around 60-70% (Six-Seven out of ten) can be clearly seen as products of fiction.

I will continue to respond to these articles, whatever the nationality of the poster, in defence of the allegations, should I feel it’s worth my time and effort, so if you don’t wish to provoke a response to your inflammatory articles, don’t post them!

If we wanted royals, we would’ve not kicked out your king’s royal a*ss in 1776.

You couldn’t even do that on your own, you needed the French to do your dirty work for you. :lol:

We’ve moved on, Pal….this is 2011!!
We don’t live in an ancient-times monarchy, as loyal subjects to some over-the-hill king or queen -- as you still do!
That’s the gratitude we get for saving your nation from being eaten up by the Nazis in WWII!!! Now I wish we didn't do that!!

Ooh dear, you’re not seriously still attempting to flog that old dead horse are you? Great Britain was fighting for over two Years and successfully defended her shores from the Luftwaffe onslaught during the Battle of Britain from July to September 1940, while America still sat on the fence during WW2, and I would think that the rest of the occupied European Nations and the Russian Federation would also take serious offence at your arrogant statement. :o

America, from 1941 provided much needed men and money for the war in Europe, money that was initially paid in gold bullion reserves and assets of the British Empire to America for supplies and munitions during the period leading up to Dec 1941, when America entered the War and decided to contribute. So ‘saving your Nation from being eaten up by the Nazis’? That would be a resounding No. Contributed to the war effort in Europe is much nearer the mark. 8)

So wise up, Dude…. and know your size.

Well I can only conclude that you final statements are your sense of humour (note the ‘u’) shining through again in your virtual bravado, climb down from your high horse lone ranger, before you fall off.

Bora Bora wrote::shock: Geez Dillon, I don't think in the history of the US anyone/the government spent $6 billon on a wedding. Even the daughters of sitting presidents didn't get a wedding that called for the country to basically shut down and the weddings were paid for by the families.

But I'm going off topic here. This thread is about the Royal Wedding in the UK. :)

Well firstly Bora, America doesn’t have a Royal Family! So I doubt they would spend $6b on a Royal Wedding! LOL

Secondly, the estimated ‘cost’ of a Public Holiday can vary on who is doing the estimating?

The British Government estimates that an additional bank holiday will cost the economy £2.9 billion. The CBI puts the figure at £6 billion and the TUC estimates £1.2 billion. So take your pick?

http://www.parliament.uk/briefingpapers ... -05775.pdf

Whatever the estimate, the democratically elected Government in the UK decided to provide for a Public holiday in celebration of the Royal Wedding, this isn’t the cost of a wedding, it’s a stab in the dark of what industry didn’t make on that particular day! Britain didn’t ‘shut down’ for the day, retail, public, service and some private industries continued regardless and most will make up for lost productivity anyway.

The estimates being banded around for the actual cost of the wedding are just as diverse, they range from £20-80 million, again, take your pick or wait for the accounts to be made public, was it worth it? over 3 billion people thought so, including me.

God save the Queen!

:lol:
Dillon

Gosh Dillon. I don't recall ever saying America had a Royal Family, which is something we Americans are grateful for. Seriously Dillon, having a King or Queen is merely a figurehead who serves no purpose other than to wave to the commoners. :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat