Speed Kills - FACT!

Topic locked
Speed kills - FACT! Apr 20, 2009
http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php?id ... a%20killer

The number of injuries in speed-related accidents on Dubai’s roads rose to 375 last year, the Road and Transport Authority has warned.

This was the first time the RTA has released figures on the number of injuries and it noted that 80 per cent of traffic accidents are caused by speeding motorists. It said the number of speeding injuries is “continuously on the rise” and that this year’s casualties ranged from head injuries to fatalities.
An RTA spokesman said it would not release figures for previous years but said a full report has been prepared for the Dubai government.

The RTA said reckless driving “leads to horrific accidents and injuries”.

It released the statistics to highlight its Haseb Safety Campaign, which hopes to reduce fatalities and serious injuries on main roads by 40 per cent by 2015.

The RTA’s campaign was endorsed last night by Nikki Morgan, who lost her 15-year-old daughter Charlii in a Mirdif traffic accident last week. Police said the 19-year-old Emirati driver appeared to have been speeding. “I would like to endorse the campaign as I feel very strongly about the driving conditions in Dubai generally. I have to drive my two other daughters to school every day and fear for our lives every time we go on the roads,” Nikki told 7DAYS.” She added: “It is not only the speeding but also the erratic driving by some motorists who seem to have no road sense or manners.
“I feel very strongly about trying to make Dubai safer so that other families do not have to go through what we are going through.”

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 20, 2009
Now the RTA said it was drafting a speed management plan to ensure safe driving without compromising traffic flow. The campaign, which will be promoted through various forms of media, aims to reduce injuries on main roads across the UAE by 40 percent within the next six years.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/553089-s ... oads---rta
Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 20, 2009
The problem is, it boils down to education of drivers, that's what is needed.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 20, 2009
oh my god , i cant believe that u opned a thread about it ..hahahahhahah
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 20, 2009
It's information that the RTA is finally doing something proactive about an on-going problem.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Speed kills - FACT! Apr 20, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:This was the first time the RTA has released figures on the number of injuries and it noted that 80 per cent of traffic accidents are caused by speeding motorists. It said the number of speeding injuries is “continuously on the rise” and that this year’s casualties ranged from head injuries to fatalities.

It's really great result. It mean that road system is well-organized by isolating traffics in different directions and big fines and another threads educated drivers not to jump red signal (the main causes of heavy accidents).
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 20, 2009
Its nothing to do with driving sense or watever.........It one notices many of the fatal/outrageous accidents, involve locals......They drive the way they do, because they know that no matter what, the long arm of the law is not applicable to them! Simple....
You wanna resolve the issue? Fine cars with excessive tints for starters, ensure that no one obtains a license without following procedures, enforce speeding and parking fines without compromise......then observe the fall in accidents.
Its all about cutting the ego in the bud! This is not only applicable to locals but anyone, whichever nationality and whatever car they drive!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 21, 2009
define speeding?

IMHO, I do not believe that 80% of accidents are caused by speeding. I belive that these are just excuses that are used to impose further and heavier penalties + new laws that will generate cash for the Gov.

If a road sign says 100km/h, yet you do 119km/h, you are not breaking the Law, therefore it can not be classed as speeding. The road speed and "buffer" are set by the Police and RTA. I agree, people speed and will cause accidents, but they are not in the majority.

I believe that the biggest cause of accidents in this country are: driving without undue care and attention, lane discipline, poorly maintained vehicles, peoples arrogance (all cultures), using that little stalk that activates your indicators and lastly impatience.

rant over
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 21, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Its nothing to do with driving sense or watever.........It one notices many of the fatal/outrageous accidents, involve locals......They drive the way they do, because they know that no matter what, the long arm of the law is not applicable to them! Simple....
You wanna resolve the issue? Fine cars with excessive tints for starters, ensure that no one obtains a license without following procedures, enforce speeding and parking fines without compromise......then observe the fall in accidents.
Its all about cutting the ego in the bud! This is not only applicable to locals but anyone, whichever nationality and whatever car they drive!

Totally agreed.
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat