Soup

Topic locked
Soup Jul 11, 2006
Desperatly Seeking a decent soup in Dubai.

I have exhausted nearly every option;
First Malaysian Restaurant
Chinese/Thai at food courts
Noodle House
Japengo
Chop Chop
Wagamama
the chinese reataurant at Ibn batuta

And still no good soup. Please help - I am dreaming about a big bowl of chinese soup that is Authentic

scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 11, 2006
best dishes are those that u cook urself :wink:
try doing that
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 11, 2006
You are right raidah - but with the vast array of ingredients required it's good to have it made for you too
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 11, 2006
:lol: Nice raidah! I make a great pho ga ( Vietnamese chicken soup) but a little time consuming-if you want to do it properly boiling the chicken making the stock etc. My husband makes a great laksa too, but same thing authentic is time consuming, oh, except for congee, or chicken rice porridge which is quick and tasty.
Have you tried the Thai restaurant on Al Dyafia (spelling??) Street?-looks good and someone on here recommended it to me.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 11, 2006
scarlet wrote:You are right raidah - but with the vast array of ingredients required it's good to have it made for you too

i dont cook much, but when i do, never use recipe books. just guide myself after what i feel it needs to be added, condiments i mean. so follow the tip of Gab, or if that is not for ur taste either, cook it urself and be proud of it :D
raidah

Jul 11, 2006
You two are not very helpful today :cry:

I am a fabulous cook - I just don't have access to a very usable kitchen at this point in time. If I wanted advice on how to cook it myself i would have asked;

where can you get a variety of fresh noodles, bok choi, bean curd etc?
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 11, 2006
scarlet wrote:You two are not very helpful today :cry:

I am a fabulous cook - I just don't have access to a very usable kitchen at this point in time. If I wanted advice on how to cook it myself i would have asked;

:( sorry
have u tried to google it on the net? see what options u have, what restaurants, etc. and take some time in trying them
raidah

Jul 11, 2006
scarlet, what chinese soup/s u after? I can make a variety of traditional/herbal chinese soups - no msg and no corn starch!
RA
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 11, 2006

I am a fabulous cook -

Others need to tell you that.

So when can we sample your cooking :roll:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 11, 2006

OK- You can get fresh chinese noodles and fresh bean curd from Choithrams at Safa Park on Al Wasl as for the herbs and bok choi all supermarkets sell this stuff-substitute some spinach type stuff for the bok choi. I know Union Coop on Al Wasl has heaps of herbs (mint, parsley, all those smelly things) and spinachy guff at 95 fils a bunch, plus bean sprouts, nice fresh garlic and ginger etc. Even Union sells dried rice noodles etc plus you'll love their dried spice section-cheap as. They also have fish sauce, oyster sauce and chilli dipping sauce etc._ it is a matter of looking for it, because they do have it. For anything you can't get or substitute at Union buy at Choithrams or Spinneys. You'll save heaps shopping at Union Coop. It would be my bet too that some of the smaller supermarkets would have a fair bit of the stuff you are after. :D
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 11, 2006
scarlet there was a thread about a good chinese restaurant behind lamcy, maybe they will have good soup ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 11, 2006
KeithL wrote:

I am a fabulous cook -

Others need to tell you that.

So when can we sample your cooking :roll:

yeh, I m free all week long :lol:
easternjewel

Re: Soup Jul 11, 2006
scarlet wrote:
And still no good soup. Please help - I am dreaming about a big bowl of chinese soup that is Authentic

You need to cross the creek to the other side, there is one awesome place next to the rolex twin towers and another pretty good place across the street from traders hotel. sorry I forget the names but you can't miss them, just look for the tell tail red paper lights.

Good luck and if anyone runs across good pho at a resteraunt let me know, i'm on the hunt for some :)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Re: Soup Jul 11, 2006
fayz wrote:
scarlet wrote:

You need to cross the creek to the other side, there is one awesome place next to the rolex twin towers and another pretty good place across the street from traders hotel. sorry I forget the names but you can't miss them, just look for the tell tail red paper lights.

Good luck and if anyone runs across good pho at a resteraunt let me know, i'm on the hunt for some :)

Fayz habibi

well come back bro , how was your summer holidays? :roll:
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Jul 12, 2006
GAB wrote:OK- You can get fresh chinese noodles and fresh bean curd from Choithrams at Safa Park on Al Wasl

GABS I thought you liked it authentic .... you should hand make your own noodles!!
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jul 12, 2006
GAB wrote::lol: Nice raidah! I make a great pho ga ( Vietnamese chicken soup) but a little time consuming-if you want to do it properly boiling the chicken making the stock etc. My husband makes a great laksa too, but same thing authentic is time consuming, oh, except for congee, or chicken rice porridge which is quick and tasty.
Have you tried the Thai restaurant on Al Dyafia (spelling??) Street?-looks good and someone on here recommended it to me.

We picked up a menu from it the other night ... looks great ... might try it on thursday ...
Cargirl
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 12, 2006
The closest I get to make a good soup was by: Bachelors Cup u boil the water… empty the sachet... Stir … and voila tomato soup :) yeah i know i know i am a great chef :oops: :oops:
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 18, 2006
Corcovado wrote:The closest I get to make a good soup was by: Bachelors Cup u boil the water… empty the sachet... Stir … and voila tomato soup :) yeah i know i know i am a great chef :oops: :oops:

Yuk,yuk, yuk! Nothing worse than packet or tinned soup-chuck chunder! :pukeleft:

Shouldn't take you longer than 20 minutes to make a really yummy soup.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Soup Jul 18, 2006
HP wrote:Fayz habibi

well come back bro , how was your summer holidays?

Sorry I just saw this, Thank you holiday was good, happy to be back.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 23, 2007
OK - it's one year later and I'm still trying to find a decent soup.

Last night at Ruan Thai (Difayah street) They added rice noodles to their Tom Yam which was pretty good

But have since tried
Noodle Bowl on diyafah - no good
Smiling BKK - they use dishwater as their soup base
Zyng - no flavour
Yum at Radisson on the creek makes a pretty close Laksa

But still craving a big bowl of authentic Asian soup - any suggestions on new places?
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 23, 2007
Did you ever try Lan Qwai Fung (sp?) in Lamcey
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 23, 2007
Maybe because it is so darn hot in Dubai suop is not something that people order a lot - so no need to "perfect" it.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 23, 2007
On a warm day I always crave a nice bowl of Pho, I wish I could find a restaurant that sold it.

Btw another place to try that isn’t too bad is in Ibn Battuta food court.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 23, 2007
Concord wrote:Maybe because it is so darn hot in Dubai suop is not something that people order a lot - so no need to "perfect" it.

well thats an aproach i never would have thought about... :idea:

in my country, during cold winter days there is nothing better than a nice hot chicken/beaf vegetable soup to warm u up.
also during hot summer, a refreshing fruit soup comes handy.
and anyways there, lunch is not lunch without a soup as starter.

so why hot weather would be in contradiction with eating soup?
interesting, in the US i had no soup at all. maybe because their conception of soup was more like a cream. back home soup means a more or less transparent liquid with vegetables/meat cubes/chicken, etc in it. it supliments the daily liquid neccessity of the body. thats why in hungarian the name we use for it is "the one with liquid". asian soups are not exactly creamy either...not that i know of
now again back to my question, why would u say in hot klima ppl dont wanna have soup?
raidah

Oct 23, 2007
raidah wrote: in my country, during cold winter days there is nothing better than a nice hot chicken/beaf vegetable soup to warm u up.
also during hot summer, a refreshing fruit soup comes handy.
and anyways there, lunch is not lunch without a soup as starter.

Is fruit soup cold? I imagine it is.

I just think that on a hot day- most days in Dubai - (regardless of AC) soup is not as appetizing. I also think that most people order things other than soup for appetizer. Many menus don't even have soups as appetizers.

But I've been wrong before...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat