Something Great Coming Out Of The UK

Topic locked
Something Great Coming Out of the UK Apr 18, 2009
Susan Boyle!!!! What an amazing singer. Check out her singing "Cry Me a River" on YouTube.

What a sweet, sweet lady and her gentleness is so touching. I wish her the absolute best. She's a STAR!!!

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 18, 2009
She's awesome. Thanks for noticing.

You wouldn't give her a dime if you saw her...but when she opens her mouth. Remarkable. Absolutely wonderful voice.

I heard she got her first contracts signed.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 18, 2009
I've heard of her. you see I have other interests. I'm informed on pop culture.
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 18, 2009
puppypup wrote:I've heard of her. you see I have other interests. I'm informed on pop culture.

O well, in that case; Tell us about her and your knowledge... :lol:
RobbyG

Apr 18, 2009
Older
Heavy
Scottish
American Idol (or whatever you call it)
Misjudging person based on YOUR stupid false physical perception
Cowell is on his knees
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 18, 2009
RobbyG wrote:She's awesome. Thanks for noticing.

You wouldn't give her a dime if you saw her...but when she opens her mouth. Remarkable. Absolutely wonderful voice.

I heard she got her first contracts signed.

Close your eyes and listen to her sing. If you never saw her you would probably think was was gorgeous. Now go back to drooling over Britney Spears boy!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 18, 2009
Aha, lesson number two: Never argue a womans looks...not even in figure of speech...;)

Good Robby. Good boy
RobbyG

Apr 18, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Aha, lesson number two: Never argue a womans looks...not even in figure of speech...;)

Good Robby. Good boy

Catching on. But what was lesson number one?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 18, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
RobbyG wrote:Aha, lesson number two: Never argue a womans looks...not even in figure of speech...;)

Good Robby. Good boy

Catching on. But what was lesson number one?

Only you should know that 8)
RobbyG

Apr 19, 2009
puppypup wrote:I've heard of her. you see I have other interests. I'm informed on pop culture.

Absolutely false. You have no other interest than just to deny your Asian looks. Really exotic if you ask me but you could easily be mistaken for a maid in Dubai.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 19, 2009
Susan is fantastic, I was very nearly reduced to tears when she sang 'I have a dream' fro m Les Mis. Absolutely amazing.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 19, 2009
K-Dog wrote:

Absolutely false. You have no other interest than just to deny your Asian looks. Really exotic if you ask me but you could easily be mistaken for a maid in Dubai.

KD please don't get into it with her otherwise she will highjack this thread and make it about herself and her identity crisis.

Back to Susan Boyle...................
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 19, 2009
She's an amazing singer, and person too. I don't follow Britain's Got Talent as much as American Idol.
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 19, 2009
Snow wrote:She's an amazing singer, and person too. I don't follow Britain's Got Talent as much as American Idol.

You don't have to "follow" it. She is a worldwide sensation. You can't avoid not hearing about her. And American Idol hasn't come close finding this kind of talent. She would wipe the floor with the other contestants. Oh, I'm sorry, she probably doesn't meet the criteria to be on "Idol". BTW: Before you jump on me, I'm from the US.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 19, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Snow wrote:She's an amazing singer, and person too. I don't follow Britain's Got Talent as much as American Idol.

You don't have to "follow" it. She is a worldwide sensation. You can't avoid not hearing about her. And American Idol hasn't come close finding this kind of talent. She would wipe the floor with the other contestants. Oh, I'm sorry, she probably doesn't meet the criteria to be on "Idol". BTW: Before you jump on me, I'm from the US.

She really is a sensation. Great singing. Attractive personality and character. Good for her. Why you so defensive?
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 19, 2009
Snow wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

She really is a sensation. Great singing. Attractive personality and character. Good for her. Why you so defensive?

Just making a point, which I am sure you would agree with, that the Idol seems to have a "look" requirement, right? This woman stood so bravely before that audience and millions of viewers and took everyone by storm and captured everyone's heart in a matter of minutes. Did you listen to "Cry Me a River" on YouTube - absolutely up there with the best of them. Sorry if I came across defensive or harsh. My bad. :)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 19, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Snow wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

Just making a point, which I am sure you would agree with, that the Idol seems to have a "look" requirement, right? This woman stood so bravely before that audience and millions of viewers and took everyone by storm and captured everyone's heart in a matter of minutes. Did you listen to "Cry Me a River" on YouTube - absolutely up there with the best of them. Sorry if I came across defensive or harsh. My bad. :)

so you're trying to argue with me on a point that you are sure I already know about and totally agree with....you're not mad are you?
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 19, 2009
Snow wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:
Snow wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

so you're trying to argue with me on a point that you are sure that I already about know and totally agree with....you're not mad are you?

So, I apologize and then you go on the defensive? Trust me, you don't want to go there with me. Talk about being "mad"!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 19, 2009
K-Dog wrote:

Absolutely false. You've never seen an Asian that 'looks' like me. You know you can't name an Asian nation where you can find my face to be run of the mill or resembling a cookie cutter figure. You're the one who is "OCD" as Chocs falsely accused me. The only time you ever answer me in a thread is to discuss Asian issues. You diverted from Susan Boyle.

Anyway I am probably more well-informed in pop culture than you will ever be. I have made movie recommendations in the movie threads/forums and they are fantastic recommendations. If none of you have ever seen the films I've recommended you will absolutely love them like you should all see The Bicycle Thief aka Ladri Di Biciclette. It's the best film ever.

Back on topic, I wish Susan Boyle the best. I hope she's not a 15-minute fame person that the public will tire since she doesn't have entertainment looks. Anyway Brit stars are historically less glamorous. Glamour is more an American thing. One of my favorite singers is from Britain (but of Irish background just like me), Dusty Springfield.
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 19, 2009
puppypup wrote:
K-Dog wrote:

Absolutely false. You've never seen an Asian that 'looks' like me. You know you can't name an Asian nation where you can find my face to be run of the mill or resembling a cookie cutter figure. You're the one who is "OCD" as Chocs falsely accused me. The only time you ever answer me in a thread is to discuss Asian issues. You diverted from Susan Boyle.

Anyway I am probably more well-informed in pop culture than you will ever be. I have made movie recommendations in the movie threads/forums and they are fantastic recommendations. If none of you have ever seen the films I've recommended you will absolutely love them like you should all see The Bicycle Thief aka Ladri Di Biciclette. It's the best film ever.

Back on topic, I wish Susan Boyle the best. I hope she's not a 15-minute fame person that the public will tire since she doesn't have entertainment looks. Anyway Brit stars are historically less glamorous. Glamour is more an American thing. One of my favorite singers is from Britain (but of Irish background just like me), Dusty Springfield.

You are soooooooooooo pathetic, but I think you have heard that before (many times). Now you have Irish background, which I don't recall reading amongst everything else you listed. I just can't help thinking that you are ugly as sin! You got your 15 seconds of fame now go away.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 19, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:

Isn't Susan Boyle gonna be getting some kind of makeover?
I saw it on the tele last night......
If it's true, then it sends out a rather vain message, that all people have to be glam and beautiful.....Just a personal opinion
If this makeover is about exercise and good nutrition then I've got no problems. But if she's gonna be put on some kinda fast track diet and visits to the beautician,surgeon, then it's SAD....
And Bora was praising the Brits!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 19, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

If it's true, then it sends out a rather vain message, that all people have to be glam and beautiful.....Just a personal opinion
If this makeover is about exercise and good nutrition then I've got no problems. But if she's gonna be put on some kinda fast track diet and visits to the beautician, then it's SAD....

I'm sure its a makeup, hair, clothing makeover, all of which is good and I'm sorry to say, needed.

Hey, I will always give credit where credit is due.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 19, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

If this makeover is about exercise and good nutrition then I've got no problems. But if she's gonna be put on some kinda fast track diet and visits to the beautician, then it's SAD....

I'm sure its a makeup, hair, clothing makeover, all of which is good and I'm sorry to say, needed.

Hey, I will always give credit where credit is due.

Thats why I like U 8)
RobbyG

Apr 19, 2009
Susan Boyle's appearance and success speaks volumes about the human race. She is an ordinary looking middle aged woman from Scotland, with the typical dress and hairstyle of millions. If she was walking down the street of any town in the UK, no-one would have thought she was odd or different. She would have blended with millions of other ordinary folk.
But because she appears on stage in a TV talent show, the masses snigger . How AMAZING when you think about it!!

Do you know that if she had appeared on an Eisteddfod [singing festival ] stage in Wales.......no-one would have BATTED AN EYELID !!

THEY WOULD HAVE LAUGHED WITH HER............NOT AT HER!!

Because she looks like a typical smalltown/country woman of 45 to 60 years of age.
She was very confident , ordinary- looking and had a broad Scottish accent.........BUT WHY SHOULD THAT MEAN SHE HAD NO SINGING TALENT??
She has a beautiful tone , clarity and cadence to her voice and sings from the heart..........but do you know what??

There are THOUSANDS like her out there in Britain!!
We have them in Wales. Maybe most are not quite as good, but we have some marvellous singers that you have never heard of. Most would not be seen dead on these "populist" programmes.
I have mates who can sing as well as Paul Potts and I only live in a town of 4000 people. Susan Boyle is a female Paul Potts.
She is not that exceptional, even though she is very good.
You should hear postmaster Timothy Evans from Lampeter sing.......and the late Deggie Howells and Gwyn Hughes Jones from Anglesey. None are picture postcards. They are /were ordinary people......but by hell, they could and can SING!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 19, 2009
:shock:

in cry me a river you'd really imagine some amazing looking woman singing.

at the end of the day, life is fair. takes away smthing, but gives one smthing else in return
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 19, 2009
raidah wrote::shock:

in cry me a river you'd really imagine some amazing looking woman singing.

at the end of the day, life is fair. takes away smthing, but gives one smthing else in return

Does that mean you are not as pretty as you speak?

Its one way or the other, right? :wink:
RobbyG

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat