Smoking Inside Shopping Malls.

Topic locked

Should the UAE government ban smoking in Shopping Malls?

Yes
57%
No
38%
Not sure
5%

Total votes : 21

Smoking inside shopping malls. Jun 04, 2006
What do you all think about the right given to people to smoke indoors, especially in Shopping Malls?

A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 04, 2006
disgusting.. there should be no smoking in malls ..
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2006
I feel that people have a right to smoke and I can tollerate people smoking in the mall itself, but this country has a large percentage of inconsiderate people and they ignore the no-smoking signs in the food courts as well. I feel that a total ban is the only way that it can be policed.
And if this fails, you can always resort to passing wind in the offending smokers vicinity. Just make sure that you have plenty of baked beans before you go to the mall.
I should probably check before doing this, because I know that you can be deported for making rude gestures in the UAE. Does anyone know if you can be deported for farting in someones face?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 04, 2006
ban ban ban ban!
even though I smoke sometimes! ^_^
just my bady put down times I guess!!!!
Sara1983
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 04, 2006
Agreed ban it .... people have to work in the shopping malls ..... I know Id be pretty peaved if someone started smoking in my office everyday
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jun 04, 2006
ajb wrote:Agreed ban it .... people have to work in the shopping malls ..... I know Id be pretty peaved if someone started smoking in my office everyday

Well 2 years back they did ban it, yet after 2 days only they allowed smoking !! :evil:
In Turkey, around 80% of the population are smokers yet smoking in public places is not allowed at all and everybody repect that ! :!:
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

Jun 04, 2006
here in NZ you can't even smoke in bars anymore ..... works well people just go outside to smoke.
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jun 04, 2006
no smoking in bars?
man that's like taking away half the fun of being in a bar.
Moester
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 04, 2006
yeah also without the smell of smoke some bars can smell pretty nasty (mix of stale alcohol and sweaty people ... ewww)

but it came about because you can't smoke in any work place here and people have to work in bars too.
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jun 04, 2006
whats the Shisha tobaccoI keep hearing about?
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jun 04, 2006
ajb wrote:yeah also without the smell of smoke some bars can smell pretty nasty (mix of stale alcohol and sweaty people ... ewww)

but it came about because you can't smoke in any work place here and people have to work in bars too.

Oh thats great smokers deserve, cause they don't just hurt themselves
they hurt others as well...... selfish
Sara1983
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 04, 2006
Will never happen... again.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2006
ajb wrote:whats the Shisha tobaccoI keep hearing about?

check it here: http://www.hookah-shisha.com/
they say it is just like cigar but got better taste!!!!
I Don't know!!
Sara1983
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 04, 2006
If the government decides it wants to interfere in our lives then it should start with rent controls.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2006
Liban wrote:If the government decides it wants to interfere in our lives then it should start with rent controls.

Things start step by step bud
Sara1983
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 04, 2006
Sara1983 wrote:
Liban wrote:If the government decides it wants to interfere in our lives then it should start with rent controls.

Rent controls are more important.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2006
Liban wrote:
Sara1983 wrote:

Rent controls are more important.

Oh yeah more than the innocent humans life & health, huh :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :?:
Sara1983
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 04, 2006

they have already interefered there.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2006
For all you newbies in Dubai, this is nothing new, it has beeen tried before. In late 2004/early 2005 the government did indeed impose a ban on smoking in all public places like malls etc.

It didnt last very long !!!!!

Most of the coffee shops nearly went broke.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 04, 2006
Controlling smoking in Dubai is as farcicle as saying the Charles Mason was a visionary! :o
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2006
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 04, 2006
Oh yeah we know of that banning that been stopped

Money Rules the World & peoples minds these days
everyone seem crazy about how much money
they'll get!!!
Sara1983
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 04, 2006
Sara1983 wrote:Oh yeah we know of that banning that been stopped

they'll get!!!

what's wrong with that?
Moester
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 04, 2006
Moester wrote:
Sara1983 wrote:Oh yeah we know of that banning that been stopped

they'll get!!!

what's wrong with that?

Money is ruling the world, thats what is wrong bud!!!!!
Sara1983
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 04, 2006
a very laudable idea. as arnie said it was tried and revoked after two days. there were a number of issues involving the implementation of the the system.

a coffee shop owner for instance will have about as much authority to fine or hold a patron who continues to smoke despite being warned as an Emaar security guard. all they can do is report the matter to the police or the municipality who whould then send out someone to fine the offender.
if you are lucky they may send someone the same week.
they may not hold or detain the person against his will - he is not even obliged to give them his name. can you imagine trying to detain a local lady in traditional dress????

secondly, most of the people who complained about the implimentation of the ban were uae nationals. this again causes all manner of problems for the propriator of the businesses who were trying to enforce the ban.

i should also point out that the ban was imposed with about 1 weeks notice - from the time it was published in the papers.

Approximatley 50% of the uae smokes.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 04, 2006
I don't think people should be allowed to smoke in any public places. I mean in some of the malls there are designated smoknig areas, but people selfishly refuse to stick to them.

I hate the people who wander round the malls with a cigarette in their hand, I've been burnt several times by these inconsiderate morons. Plus who wants to follow them in the wake of smoke, it's foul.

I was in Starbucks recently, in the no smoking section and one idiot plonks his fat ugly arse down and lights up! I mean the selfishness of some of these people is unbelievable.

I went to a friends birthday the other night and my boyfriend and I were the only ones not smoking. But what really ticked me off was that the smoked constantly throughout the meal blowing smoke all voer the food - I mean hello!!!!!!

Some people have no brain.

Also Shisha smoking is like having 10 fags all at once!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 04, 2006

I totally agree with you.
The problem also with malls is that to alot of ppl this is a cheap and affordable way to spend the night or even sometimes the whole day. Malls here aren't just for shopping therefore banning smoking in them will have a great impact on stores sales hence NO GOOD
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 04, 2006
It's got nothing to do with the Government having control on your life. It's to do with smokers not being selfish and threatening the lives of others who choose not to smoke.

Plus the using malls as entertainment doesn't wash with me either, what you can't even go for a couple of hours without killing yourself - pathetic!

Smoking is foul! If you wish to smoke then you should do it in a place only for smokers and out of public places. What right do you have to force a child to breathe in your filth?

Smokers are selfish - period!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 04, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Also Shisha smoking is like having 10 fags all at once!

Liban can tell us more about how that feels :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2006
MaaaD wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Also Shisha smoking is like having 10 fags all at once!

Liban can tell us more about how that feels :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Believe it or not, but a recent study done on no-tobacco day indicated that one Shisha is equivalent to smoking 100 Cigarettes. This was on radio 2 weeks back.

This is no joke.
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat