Skyrocketing Prices In Dubai

Topic locked
Skyrocketing prices in Dubai Jan 12, 2008
I have been hearing buzz for the last few weeks that prices for fuel will go up to AED 11.00 a gallon! This is in addition to all the price hikes that we have had in everything from food stuff to luxury items in the last few months. So lets hear it, what is everyone doing to cope with this dramatic increase in the cost of living in Dubai?

Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 12, 2008
What's the current price per gallon?
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 12, 2008
XPClone wrote:What's the current price per gallon?

I think it is like AED 6.50 per gallon!
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 12, 2008
thats not good news at all :(
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 12, 2008
Inflation is currently running at approximately 12% in Dubai, which is incredibly high and due partly to the greedy landlords trying to capitalise on the cost of renting real estate. They know that the bubble will burst fairly soon once the slew of new residential developments are completed but are determined to milk it now, rather than looking at the long term stability of their country.

Some people are proud of the fact that Dubai is now as expensive as New York!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Skyrocketing prices in Dubai Jan 12, 2008
Dubaidude007 wrote:I have been hearing buzz for the last few weeks that prices for fuel will go up to AED 11.00 a gallon! This is in addition to all the price hikes that we have had in everything from food stuff to luxury items in the last few months. So lets hear it, what is everyone doing to cope with this dramatic increase in the cost of living in Dubai?

Where does your information come from regarding the price of fuel?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 12, 2008
I have been hearing buzz for the last few weeks that prices for fuel will go up to AED 11.00 a gallon! This is in addition to all the price hikes that we have had in everything from food stuff to luxury items in the last few months. So lets hear it, what is everyone doing to cope with this dramatic increase in the cost of living in Dubai?

Well I am happy to pay AED 11.00 per gallon rather than over GBP 1.00 per LITRE!
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Skyrocketing prices in Dubai Jan 12, 2008
sage & onion wrote:
Dubaidude007 wrote:I have been hearing buzz for the last few weeks that prices for fuel will go up to AED 11.00 a gallon! This is in addition to all the price hikes that we have had in everything from food stuff to luxury items in the last few months. So lets hear it, what is everyone doing to cope with this dramatic increase in the cost of living in Dubai?

Where does your information come from regarding the price of fuel?

I will check and confirm with my contacts at ENOC/EPPCO. Patel the Pump is a useful source of inside information!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Jan 12, 2008
The Major wrote:

Well I am happy to pay AED 11.00 per gallon rather than over GBP 1.00 per LITRE!

Yeah, I'll keep my V8 Jeep. Since I don't commute daily. But would be nice if it reduced the number of cars on the road a bit more.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 12, 2008
gtmash wrote:But would be nice if it reduced the number of cars on the road a bit more.

Don´t hope too much. Everywhere in the world it is shown that it really doesn´t matter how high petrol prices are or how high the toll, traffic keeps increasing. People will economize on other things in order to keep on driving.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 13, 2008
Flying Dutchman wrote:
gtmash wrote:But would be nice if it reduced the number of cars on the road a bit more.

Don´t hope too much. Everywhere in the world it is shown that it really doesn´t matter how high petrol prices are or how high the toll, traffic keeps increasing. People will economize on other things in order to keep on driving.

True That! People are not going to stop driving because of higher fuel prices. There will probably be an increase in "private taxis" as people try to recoup the money they spent on fuel and other gimmicks to recoup their money.
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 13, 2008
Dubaidude007 wrote:
Flying Dutchman wrote:

True That! People are not going to stop driving because of higher fuel prices. There will probably be an increase in "private taxis" as people try to recoup the money they spent on fuel and other gimmicks to recoup their money.

Dubai Police have clamped down on that as well. No more 'car lifts' or unlicenced taxis. They have checkpoints all over the city now and will stop at random for offences such as not wearing seat belts, using the mobile phone whilst driving, having too dark tinting and if there are an excessive number of people in the vehicle.

The fines are so harsh, many of the drivers who used to make an additional living from this have been forced to stop.

:( :( :(

Knight
Dubai Knight

Jan 13, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:
Dubaidude007 wrote:
Flying Dutchman wrote:

Dubai Police have clamped down on that as well. No more 'car lifts' or unlicenced taxis. They have checkpoints all over the city now and will stop at random for offences such as not wearing seat belts, using the mobile phone whilst driving, having too dark tinting and if there are an excessive number of people in the vehicle.

The fines are so harsh, many of the drivers who used to make an additional living from this have been forced to stop.

:( :( :(

Knight

This will eventually force all these low paid workers to think about other ways of earning extra money to keep ends meet.....
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 13, 2008
Well isn't it a bad thing that the crime rate is dubai is so low? :roll:
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 13, 2008
reviewer wrote:This will eventually force all these low paid workers to think about other ways of earning extra money to keep ends meet.....

hmmm...maybe, although I doubt whether there is a direct relation between inflation and crime.
You will be absolutely amazed how "creative" people can get in order to exercise their god given right to drive a car. Think about everything between changing food habits and using toilet paper both sides. :roll:
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 13, 2008
Flying Dutchman wrote:
reviewer wrote:This will eventually force all these low paid workers to think about other ways of earning extra money to keep ends meet.....

hmmm...maybe, although I doubt whether there is a direct relation between inflation and crime.
You will be absolutely amazed how "creative" people can get in order to exercise their god given right to drive a car. Think about everything between changing food habits and using toilet paper both sides. :roll:

FYI, subcontinental poor people do not use toilet paper
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat