Singapore Versus Dubai???!!!!

Topic locked
Singapore versus Dubai???!!!! Jul 02, 2006
Hi,

I'm working in Singapore for a European company which offers me to go to Dubai. But, I don't now whether this is the right choice, because Singapore is great!! But I have never lived in Dubai, so maybe i'm wrong! :?

Has anyone lived in Singapore and Dubai? Let me know your opinion!

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Rogasi

Rogasi
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 02, 2006
I have a singaporean friend whom just went back from Dubai a couple of days ago.He didn't like Dubai. he was here for almost 8 months with very good job.
It really depends on how do you live in Dubai. i think.You might enjoy life here if you have some good friends.

8) 8)
geraintindxb
Dubai Forums Talker

Jul 02, 2006
Me- lived in both. Dubai by a long shot. I miss laksa, roti, chicken rice and the Malay desserts though. Personally I found there wasn't enough to do in Singapore-we joined the bird park for a year and then we joined the zoo for a year-you have to go by ferry or plane to get to a decent beach and still get tar /oil on your feet and the cost of living in Sing was very high when we lived there. If I left here I'd miss Jebel Ali Beach, the easy lifestyle, sharwarma, Al Reef Bakery, Wafi Gourmet, driving down SZR (actually that is a lie), the great shopping centres, the great shopping, being able to drive to another Emirate, the fact that most people are polite and helpful (except when driving down SZR), having such a huge abundance of choice. I am being flippant to a certain extent but my choice is Dubai.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 02, 2006
I've not lived in Singapore but when visiting there I found it very orderly and nice. I prefer the chaos of Dubai.

Singapore is the girl or boy your parents want you to marry. Dubai is the one you want.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 02, 2006
as much as i love the benefits and perks i have in dubai...given the choice i would very much prefer singapore over dubai any given day...the time i lived there...which was till 2003 the rents were very affordable and still are...and houses and condos are a plenty...rent wise dubai is ridiculous...and there are no garuntees they wont hike up your rent by 15%...the food in singapore is amazing and affordable on a far larger scale...you can get a decent meal in a food court under 5 sing dollars...to even the fine dining resturants are relatively (20%) cheap in my opinion...the comfort/travelling/affordablility/infrastructure wise i found singapore far more competitive at a much lesser premium...dubai is great if you earn a relatively high salary...if you want to afford a great lifestyle...singapore on the other hand you dont usually command the same salary as the cost of living is low...i would agree with GABS that there isnt much to do when you are living in singapore apart from taking short trips to the neighbouring countries...dubai there is a lot to do...but i miss the rains in singapore and the general feel of seasons...the beaches in dubai are really nice...and if you are a water sports person...this is a really good place for that...added to that you can also take short trips to other emirates and countries....if you want comfort and a bit of savings...stay in singapore...if you want adventure and livin it large come to dubai...but make sure you get compensated for it appropriately...as tats whats going to be the deciding factor in the long run...
cheers
me
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 02, 2006
Food - Sg hands down
Things to do/what's on offer - Dubai
Financial viability - Dubai
Perks - Dubai
People (tollerance/intollerance) - All depends on your ethnicity and background

Agree with Conno - $ is what makes sense between the two.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 02, 2006
Hi,

MANY thanks for your fast replies!!!!!!

I come alone to Dubai (except my two cats) , is it difficult to make friends? I life now 5 years in Singapore and have a lot of friends, to make friends is very simple! BTW I'm 37! :oops:

My company offer for Dubai and Singapore the same salary (10000 USD + House + car) Is this okay? Or has to be the salary in dubai 20% higher?

Many thanks again!

Cheers,
Rogasi
Rogasi
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 02, 2006
As a monthly package, thats pretty damn good. That would equal to approx Dhs45K per month, which is NOT to be sniffed at.

Also, would it be tax free?
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 02, 2006
Welcome
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 02, 2006
I'd take note of Yorky's point regarding tax. If your company is a US based company and you are on the US payroll as an expat you will be subject to US taxes whilst working here.

In any case, your package is comparable with mine and from personal experience can safely say it'll easily cover yourself and 2 kitty pals - be sure to check out regulations regarding bringing them with you.

Goodluck.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 02, 2006
What industry are you in by the way? Construction, finance or IT etc.? It would also matter to a certain extent in Dubai or Singapore.
Gene
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 02, 2006
Gene wrote:What industry are you in by the way? Construction, finance or IT etc.? It would also matter to a certain extent in Dubai or Singapore.

Without knowing size of company, position or qualifications I would still say what he is being offered is pretty decent for construction, finance and IT.

That said, if you could pull that deal in Sg there's no reason the company shouldn't compensate you more here. I think the service diffrential between the 2 countries does differ by more than 5 percentage points.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 02, 2006
Hi,

the company where i work for is from Switzerland, same as I. :D
The company is dealing with equipment for construction industry.

I have to pay no tax outside Dubai!

Btw, how is it do bring my two cats into Dubai? I'm from Singapore and hope not that I have to put them for 1 to 3 month in Quarantine!! :evil:

How is it to meet girls in Dubai? Remember I'm single! But please I not taking about hookers. On of my friend mentioned thats not easy there, because the proportion of male is very high! :oops:

Cheers,
Rogasi
Rogasi
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 02, 2006
You mean u don't have to pay tax IN Dubai.

From memory K's put some useful posts regarding migrating pets here so please use search function.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 02, 2006
Rogasi wrote:How is it to meet girls in Dubai? Remember I'm single! But please I not taking about hookers. On of my friend mentioned thats not easy there, because the proportion of male is very high! :oops:

Cheers,
Rogasi

My friend, if you don't know how to meet girls, then there is NO hope for you and there is no point asking us, we are not dating agents.

You will have to find out for yourself but: bars, through work and clubs may be your best way.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 02, 2006
I wouldn't move to singapore with cats.

:roll:
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 02, 2006
yorky500 wrote:My friend, if you don't know how to meet girls, then there is NO hope for you and there is no point asking us, we are not dating agents.

You will have to find out for yourself but: bars, through work and clubs may be your best way.

Modern day Romeo with a proven track record - 5 years in Sg and 2 pussies in hand.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 02, 2006
^ian^ wrote:I wouldn't move to singapore with cats.

He's moving from there buddy.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 02, 2006
Yes, and he's pretty well paid, bet those two "pussies" are very well taken care of. hahahahahahahaha
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 02, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:
^ian^ wrote:I wouldn't move to singapore with cats.

He's moving from there buddy.

OK. I won't make any more jokes, seems nobody has a sense of humour on this forum today.
^ian^

Jul 02, 2006
Whats so funny on the two cats????? Do you know how the locals here in singapore tread the cats on the street???? I have found the kitten half dead, so please do not make any fun about it!!!

I ask you guys a serious question about the girls, because when you have a look on www.dubailook.com -> photos, they pictures of the parties look like a gay nights!!! Thats the reason why I ask!! When you go clubbing here in singapor eyou see gorgeous women/girls!!
Rogasi
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 02, 2006
Rogasi,

don't take the comments on the cats seriously, we were only pulling your leg, however, on the women front, as I said, that you have to fond out for yourself. Yes, there are lots of very, very attractive ladies here in Dubai. Where they all go, who knows, there are so many pubs/clubs and sheesha houses where they all hang out, you will NOT find them all in one spot. It takes time to look and to see where it is that is happening.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 02, 2006
alright IMHO and personally speaking...i've found the ratio and friendliness factor higher in singapore(with the ladies)...dubai you really have to be at the right place, work harder at yer charm...and network harder...singapore its easier and the blend in factor is not an issue...i am really partial to singapore when it comes to meeting people and clubs/etc...but then again if you are in the construction business dubai is the place to be innit?...then again 10 k US would carry you a great deal further in singapore than dubai, thats for sure...singapore i never had any problems with cats...though if you are ever planning to go back again after you move...the quarentine period in sing is a killer...dubai there is no quarentine...you should look into a pet relocator in singapore...when i moved from sing to hong kong...had 2 cats...took us about 3 k sing dollars...door to door...very nice service...add shots/jabs/vet visits to that...about 4 k in total...
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 02, 2006
Ive lived in Singapore for a number of years. I used to work there with a UK based company.

To be honest, I got tired of the boring life there. I find Dubai to be much more exciting and a lot more things happen here compared to Singapore. There is also a lot more international diversity amongst the population in Dubai. No offense, but I didnt mix well with all the chinese there.

Winters in Dubai are great, compared to no weather change in Singapore.

Cars are definitely affordable in Dubai, and there is no BS ERP road tax in dubai either. Parking in malls here is also free.

Overall, I found dubai to be easier to settle in and much more exciting than SG. The people here are friendlier as well. Unlike singapore where you enter a store and the guy goes , "uhh wa you wan uhh?????" :lol:

BTW, I used to live near Paya Laber MRT Station! :wink:
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 03, 2006
I was Jurong West - West Siiiiidee.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 06, 2006
Rogasi wrote:Hi,

MANY thanks for your fast replies!!!!!!

I come alone to Dubai (except my two cats) , is it difficult to make friends? I life now 5 years in Singapore and have a lot of friends, to make friends is very simple! BTW I'm 37! :oops:

My company offer for Dubai and Singapore the same salary (10000 USD + House + car) Is this okay? Or has to be the salary in dubai 20% higher?

Many thanks again!

Cheers,
Rogasi

I would say as an employee that is a good deal. It is the minimum deal I would accept if I were working for someone. For working in a job and being able to forget about work when you leave at 5 or 6, its a decent deal.

I have heard people saying Singapore salaries are about 2-3 times dubai salaries, but dunno if this is true (this was from friends in the financial sector).

Good luck!
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 24, 2006
I am glad to find a handful of singaporeans around in this thread. I am from Singapore too! Well, i have no idea how working in dubai is like. Heard it's not going to be easy esp for woman n i am only 26.
Well.. i have not decided on my posting yet.
bubble world
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 24, 2008
hi all,

i am single/male/25 and i have been offered a job at Dubai (USD 120000) and Singapore (USD 110000). both offers are quite good but i am not sure which one to take. do you think the salary offered is good enough to manage in dubai and singapore? as a bachelor, which city will have more to offer? i love singapore but i am biased as i have been there before and have friends. dubai is a new territory....not sure what to expect....will really appreciate if anyone here can help me in evaluating the offer and also give some on views on these two cities? thanks for your time....
bored_lawyer
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: dubai versus singapore Sep 25, 2008
bored_lawyer wrote:hi all,

i am single/male/25 and i have been offered a job at Dubai (USD 120000) and Singapore (USD 110000). both offers are quite good but i am not sure which one to take. do you think the salary offered is good enough to manage in dubai and singapore? as a bachelor, which city will have more to offer? i love singapore but i am biased as i have been there before and have friends. dubai is a new territory....not sure what to expect....will really appreciate if anyone here can help me in evaluating the offer and also give some on views on these two cities? thanks for your time....

Choose life.
Choose Singapore.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: dubai versus singapore Sep 26, 2008
bored_lawyer wrote:hi all,

The only advantage in choosing dxb over sng I think is the tax-free salary (but I think that too is going to change in the near future).
Just read through all the rants in this forum and you'll get an idea on how living in dubai really is.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat