Topic locked
Sep 26, 2008
Living in Dubai is...expensive!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight

Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 26, 2008
I remember those good old days when my salary was 8500 dhs and I could save 1k usd monthly... :glasses7:
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Sep 27, 2008
Andyba wrote:I remember those good old days when my salary was 8500 dhs and I could save 1k usd monthly... :glasses7:

You are too old and have been here too long!
"No one listens to techno anymore..."

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Sep 28, 2008
Would I assimilate and 'fit in' perhaps blend in an Asian country?*Puppypup ponders*

Seriously I don't think I could do it. I like eating while I walk. I could leave crumbs. Isn't Singapore strict about things like that?
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 29, 2008
puppypup wrote:Would I assimilate and 'fit in' perhaps blend in an Asian country?*Puppypup ponders*

Seriously I don't think I could do it. I like eating while I walk. I could leave crumbs. Isn't Singapore strict about things like that?

Only chewing gum.

I know people who struggle to walk and chew gum!

Knight
Dubai Knight

Sep 29, 2008
puppypup wrote:Would I assimilate and 'fit in' perhaps blend in an Asian country?*Puppypup ponders*

No you won't. I'm sorry:

Yes, if you leave crumbs, they'll catch you and put you in jail. They don't tolerate messy eaters.
If a singaporean guy asked you "are you singapoean, lah?" and you answer back "I'M NOT ASIAAANNN!!!", they'll cane you and then deport you.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Sep 29, 2008
pinoy1 wrote:

No you won't. I'm sorry:

Yes, if you leave crumbs, they'll catch you and put you in jail. They don't tolerate messy eaters.
If a singaporean guy asked you "are you singapoean, lah?" and you answer back "I'M NOT ASIAAANNN!!!", they'll cane you and then deport you.

HAHAHA PINOY! Joke of the day
desert surfer
Dubai Forums Talker

Oct 05, 2008
We are loving Singapore... not really sure how it could be boring compared to Dubai - sand, sand and more sand. If you are an outdoors person and thrive on greenery then Singapore is definitely better. MacRitchie Reservoir and other walking trails - whoo hoo! There is lots to see and do, and if bored you can take the ferry or fly to neighbouring countries, as Singapore is well situated to see other great parts of Asia.

It is a much easier and friendly place to live compared to Dubai. So long construction and crazy traffic! The harmony between the different people is much better - not the same kind of tension that you see and feel in Dubai. We don't have to worry about taking our landlord to the rent committee - rent is locked in for 2 years and we have an amazing landlady who takes care of everything. I have lots of local friends already, unlike Dubai where we had only two local friends!

As mentioned before, the food is fabulous and so cheap! Finally, the public transport is excellent and the city so clean that you can easily get around, especially on foot, and even by bicycle. No need for a car at all. We walk all over the place here because it feels so good to be able to do it after living in Dubai.

Dubai is quite tolerable if you work long hours, prefer to eat, drink, club and spend time on the beach in your free time. It is much easier to own a fancy car in Dubai, so if you are into that, then you might enjoy that luxury you can afford in Dubai.

We are into nature and family life, so Singapore suits us better.

I don't know which place works out to be more expensive, in light of Singapore's taxes and Dubai's rents. Also, can't help out with the night life part and meeting someone of the opposite s.e.x. Was already married long before moving to Dubai and we weren't into clubbing.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Oct 05, 2008
^ That pretty much sums it up.
Actually I'm considering moving there now. One more advantage, for me that is, is the cheap flights between SE Asian countries, and no visa is required- I can spend a weekend in my country whenever I want.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Oct 05, 2008
Sounds like Singapore is the place to sling our hooks!

Great to see you back on the forum too K! Missing you over here but will catch up through the usual channels...

:D :D :D

Knight
Dubai Knight

Oct 05, 2008
i ve never been to singapore but i ve been to dubai n dat was an amzaing experience
webpower
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 05, 2008
OMG Singapore sounds great!!! I love nature, public transport, and roti. I bet there are fresh-pressed juices too. I just have to learn not to walk and eat at the same time.

The US is a big brother society anyhow so being on camera won't be a big deal if that is the way in Singapore.

I want to visit next year. Are the buses to Kuala Lampur safe? I want to visit that city too.

I saw a joint Filipino/Singapore movie starring some Italian-Filipina actress. It was a dumb movie but made money. The Italian-Filipina played a maid :roll: who works in a Chinese-Singaporean household and makes all sorts of faux pas during a Chinese holiday causing bad spirits to take over. Oh I think the title is THE MAID.

Hey Pinoy can we travel to the Philippines together so your people can see what a non-Asian mistaken for Filipina looks like? I like adobo. :P
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 05, 2008
puppypup wrote:

I saw a joint Filipino/Singapore movie starring some Italian-Filipina actress. It was a dumb movie but made money. The Italian-Filipina played a maid :roll: who works in a Chinese-Singaporean household and makes all sorts of faux pas during a Chinese holiday causing bad spirits to take over. Oh I think the title is THE MAID. :P

The Maid? Did she have a mobile phone?

Knight
Dubai Knight

Oct 09, 2008
iv lived in both and i prefer singapore ...dubai is just too messy imo...and is dull and dead...idk...i think i feel a lil bit too watched in dubai
i found singapore much more relaxing and beautiful..better weather...i liked the people and services and i feel like they are more educated
Andez
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat