A Silver Lining For Brits In Dubai...For How Long???

Topic locked
Jan 29, 2009
kanelli wrote:Nah, why would they take an active interest as long as some money is coming in and they can upgrade their car, villa and mobile phone every year.

this is what I said in my 3rd post..

and for both of you stop trying to get my attention.. get out of this topic... NOW :lol:

uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 29, 2009
smoggie wrote:
uaekid wrote:who cares ? they are all getting sacked ..

Hahaha. In an ideal world, yes, you would love to see the back of us (Multi-National workforce), but you know as well as I do that that will not happen.
After numerous attempts at "Emiratisation" I think the powers that be also know that to be true.

Simple fact: You and your brothers are not up to it!

You have been pampered all of your lives and you have no work ethic.
Unlike Oman or Bahrain, where locals will do "ordinary" jobs, Emiratis would rather go for a waxing than put in a day's work.

Look at any coffee shop during the day.....a sea of neatly ironed dish dashes!!

We have all heard the stories about locals being hired and then never seen again (so that companies can fulfill their quota of locals). Suits everybody I guess. I think Yousef Islam even pointed this out a few years ago.... to some annoyance!

Even in these desperate times for Dubai....the skilled worker will be sacrificed above the local free-loader to avoid local discontent with it's rulers.

So in reality - You are stuck with us old chap

Why is it ok to say all locals are lazy and no one say anything, but when you say one bad thing about someone who is Indian the whole world is turned upside down and your labeled as a close minded racist? Yes,there are locals out there that fit the common stereotype but there are also a lot out there who are extremely hard working and decent people. My friends and I were talking about this the other day -- the difference between people who come from old money and those who come from new money... I don't think I need to explain what I said because they act the same regardless of their nationality. And let's be realistic here, just as not all locals are lazy, not all expats are hardworking...

Come on guys, the local bashing has been getting worse and worse over the years on here, I'm really getting sick of it.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 29, 2009
sadly this is not what they wana hear dear, flip it and they will be all ears..
uaekid

Jan 29, 2009
bushra21 wrote:
smoggie wrote:

Hahaha. In an ideal world, yes, you would love to see the back of us (Multi-National workforce), but you know as well as I do that that will not happen.
After numerous attempts at "Emiratisation" I think the powers that be also know that to be true.

Unlike Oman or Bahrain, where locals will do "ordinary" jobs, Emiratis would rather go for a waxing than put in a day's work.

We have all heard the stories about locals being hired and then never seen again (so that companies can fulfill their quota of locals). Suits everybody I guess. I think Yousef Islam even pointed this out a few years ago.... to some annoyance!

Even in these desperate times for Dubai....the skilled worker will be sacrificed above the local free-loader to avoid local discontent with it's rulers.

Why is it ok to say all locals are lazy and no one say anything, but when you say one bad thing about someone who is Indian the whole world is turned upside down and your labeled as a close minded racist? Yes,there are locals out there that fit the common stereotype but there are also a lot out there who are extremely hard working and decent people. My friends and I were talking about this the other day -- the difference between people who come from old money and those who come from new money... I don't think I need to explain what I said because they act the same regardless of their nationality. And let's be realistic here, just as not all locals are lazy, not all expats are hardworking...

Come on guys, the local bashing has been getting worse and worse over the years on here, I'm really getting sick of it.

Where does it say that all locals are lazy?????
Generally, there is no work ethic because the state pampers the locals.
Why do you bring Indians into this?? We are talking about locals are we not?
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 29, 2009
uaekid wrote:sadly this is not what they wana hear dear, flip it and they will be all ears..

No; unacceptable.

I realize that we all generalize on when we speak on a regular basis, but there is a huge difference between generalizing and bashing a whole community. I mean, how many of the expats here have actually met, spoken with, and made good friends with real locals here... and yes, I said real locals for the simple fact that there are a lot of people here (and by here I mean the UAE) who to pretend to be local while they are not. There is absolutely no way in hell that every expat that has done the above can say that every single one of them were stuck up, lazy, close-minded, worthless peices of sh.it, because that is what is, essentially, being said about them on here. I'm really getting sick and tired of hearing this, what's with the double standards?

Where are the people who became utterly offended with the remarks that were being said about indians in the another thread? Or is local bashing and stereotyping not as bad....

This is disgusting.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 29, 2009
smoggie wrote:
bushra21 wrote:
smoggie wrote:

ok I'll go lower to your understanding here... what do you think a wealthy generous country should do to its locals other than provide them with comfort ? serious question. make them work in construction ? or send them for genitors academy, I'm not following you here!
uaekid

Jan 29, 2009
This is where I disagree with you UAEkid; there is no shame in work. If the individual is not qualified to be a CEO of a company, he should by no means be in that position, regardless of his nationality.

Work is work, everyone has to do it to survive.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 29, 2009
bushra21 wrote:
uaekid wrote:sadly this is not what they wana hear dear, flip it and they will be all ears..

No; unacceptable.

I realize that we all generalize on when we speak on a regular basis, but there is a huge difference between generalizing and bashing a whole community. I mean, how many of the expats here have actually met, spoken with, and made good friends with real locals here... and yes, I said real locals for the simple fact that there are a lot of people here (and by here I mean the UAE) who to pretend to be local while they are not. There is absolutely no way in hell that every expat that has done the above can say that every single one of them were stuck up, lazy, close-minded, worthless peices of sh.it, because that is what is, essentially, being said about them on here. I'm really getting sick and tired of hearing this, what's with the double standards?

Where are the people who became utterly offended with the remarks that were being said about indians in the another thread? Or is local bashing and stereotyping not as bad....

This is disgusting.

Agreed
wishmaster
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 29, 2009
no dear I wana understand what he mean by pampering ? we all work and as hard, but they call it pampering bcz we are getting paid more !

they have problems with their private businesses, contracts they agreed too before coming here and blame us for having a better job ?
uaekid

Jan 29, 2009
uaekid wrote:
smoggie wrote:
bushra21 wrote:
smoggie wrote:

ok I'll go lower to your understanding here... what do you think a wealthy generous country should do to its locals other than provide them with comfort ? serious question. make them work in construction ? or send them for genitors academy, I'm not following you here!

Your rulers are very generous with the nationals in this country. This is true. But in being over generous it makes many lazy and destroys the work ethic. it is easier to do nothing and take sponsorship money than it is to work hard and achieve something. Yes. I think that locals should work in construction and ordinary jobs.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 29, 2009
uaekid wrote:no dear I wana understand what he mean by pampering ? we all work and as hard, but they call it pampering bcz we are getting paid more !

they have problems with their private businesses, contracts they agreed too before coming here and blame us for having a better job ?

we get paid more because that is how this country works...salary is mainly dependent on your nationality in the UAE, everyone knows this or should know this by now. if we lived in the UK or the USA then our nationality would mean nothing when our salary is in question, it is our skills, experience and where we are applying to work that is looked at.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 29, 2009
bushra21 wrote:
uaekid wrote:no dear I wana understand what he mean by pampering ? we all work and as hard, but they call it pampering bcz we are getting paid more !

we get paid more because that is how this country works...salary is mainly dependent on your nationality in the UAE, everyone knows this or should know this by now. if we lived in the UK or the USA then our nationality would mean nothing when our salary is in question, it is our skills, experience and where we are applying to work that is looked at.

Well said! that hit the nail on the head!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 29, 2009
define over generous.
uaekid

Jan 29, 2009
smoggie, if we had to do those jobs then we will. its just that at this time we don't have to so the work goes to those that are willing. it's not the best of situations, i agree...but if you could choose between working in an air conditioned office making 30k a month or work outside in the heat for lets say 5k a month...you would naturally choose the office work.

there are locals that do regular jobs and are barely scraping by, but you don't hear about them because it makes the government look bad. there are locals who have no homes and can barely afford to put food on their table... my brother works over 10 hours a day EVERYDAY, he doesn't get a day off and he doesn't complain. he is underpaid and under appreciated at his job but he is still there and still goes every morning and comes back every night. just thought id mention that...you know, as an example...
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 29, 2009
Whole Dubai Forum vs uaekid
not fair
wishmaster
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 29, 2009
uaekid wrote:
smoggie wrote:
bushra21 wrote:
smoggie wrote:

uae kid,
you made the point.yessss think!!!! I totally disagree to the fact that all locals are lazy, I have seen personally many peoples who are hard working and having the determination to grow up in what ever the field they are.... :)
Bijukakkat
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 29, 2009
bushra21 wrote:smoggie, if we had to do those jobs then we will. its just that at this time we don't have to so the work goes to those that are willing. it's not the best of situations, i agree...but if you could choose between working in an air conditioned office making 30k a month or work outside in the heat for lets say 5k a month...you would naturally choose the office work.

there are locals that do regular jobs and are barely scraping by, but you don't hear about them because it makes the government look bad. there are locals who have no homes and can barely afford to put food on their table... my brother works over 10 hours a day EVERYDAY, he doesn't get a day off and he doesn't complain. he is underpaid and under appreciated at his job but he is still there and still goes every morning and comes back every night. just thought id mention that...you know, as an example...

Bushra21....I am completely with you, I know there are locals that work really hard and others that struggle.
My point is that if emiratisation is going to work then locals need to work in all sectors and feel that they are contributing in some way to the development of the nation. It is too easy for many to sit back, take money, land without contributing.
Nationality should have nothing to do with salary and one should get paid what one deserves. What we have now is exploitation.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 29, 2009
There are a lot of good points here made by many. bushra, it is true that people shouldn't stereotype that locals are lazy, because there are many who work very hard. I agree with smoggie that paying by nationality has to stop, because it isn't your nationality that tells your knowledge, skills and quality of work. It is your educational background and work history that should speak, not your passport. There is always resentment when some are paid more for the same job just because of a difference in nationality, and rightly so.

Just as locals don't like hearing that they are lazy, the "guest workers" are sick of hearing how replaceable they are and how they haven't contributed anything to the UAE. Just something for some people to think about.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 29, 2009
smoggie wrote:

Judging from the active postings of the uaekid in this forum, I think he’s one of those “lazy” Emartis you see crowding the coffee shops during the working days!!!

He is the one slouching over his laptop in the corner!!!

Right, kid?? … LOL…!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 29, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:
smoggie wrote:

Judging from the active postings of the uaekid in this forum, I think he’s one of those “lazy” Emartis you see crowding the coffee shops during the working days!!!

He is the one slouching over his laptop in the corner!!!

Right, kid?? … LOL…!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yes but with no laptop :)
uaekid

Jan 29, 2009
I don't follow the parochial , TRIBAL arguments here.
It is obvious that Sheikh Mo wanted to develop Dubai from a sleepy backwater overlooking the Arabian Gulf to a world-class modern city , with the best architecture etc. He also wanted it done in QUINTUPLE QUICK time. His plans are supremely ambitious , mind-boggling and superb in many ways. They are also highly expensive and probably over-ambitious.
However, to carry them out, there was NO WAY he could merely use Arabs, let alone Emiratis to carry out the plan. EXPERTS in various technical fields had to be drawn in from all over the world. The tool he used was GREED .........TAX-FREE INCENTIVES and a promise of a well-paid tax-free job with the incentive of warm...sometimes TOO hot.....weather !!

All rather exciting for the average Brit engineer!! Hence the draw!

However, if he was building this HUGE new city, it was obvious it WAS BEING BUILT FOR WESTERNERS TO LIVE IN, because Arabs in a SMALL nation like even the UAE.....let alone DUBAI...were going to be in a minority ! LOGIC!!
According to the stuff I see on www.visit-dubai.co.uk which I found at the top when I put the search Visit Dubai into Google UK, there is enough being built in the UAE to house 5 MILLION PEOPLE!!
That is between Abu Dhabi , Sharjah, Ajman,Umm al Quwain and Dubai...TOTAL! Look at the web-site and try and tot them up. Besides add up your skyscrapers etc and work it out. Read the projected plans on the web-site.

So UAEkid, if you are an Emirati, you had better get used to the idea ! When the European engineers , builders, architects etc have LEFT........it is going to need OTHER EUROPEANS to live and work in what is built!!
Otherwise it was a waste of time building it!!

SO STOP BICKERING AND LEARN TO LIVE TOGETHER IN PEACE!!
That is the important thing. If Sheikh Mo wants 15 million tourists.................THEN YOU AIN'T SEEN NUTHIN YET , UAEKID!!
Westerners must INCREASE 10 FOLD!!

An INTERNATIONAL CITY has been built in the desert, and another one is being built in Abu Dhabi!!

If the WESTERNERS DON'T COME............DUBAI GOES BUST!!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 29, 2009
kanelli wrote:There are a lot of good points here made by many. bushra, it is true that people shouldn't stereotype that locals are lazy, because there are many who work very hard. I agree with smoggie that paying by nationality has to stop, because it isn't your nationality that tells your knowledge, skills and quality of work. It is your educational background and work history that should speak, not your passport. There is always resentment when some are paid more for the same job just because of a difference in nationality, and rightly so.

Just as locals don't like hearing that they are lazy, the "guest workers" are sick of hearing how replaceable they are and how they haven't contributed anything to the UAE. Just something for some people to think about.

who said anything about replacing or they haven't contributed to UAE ? but this applies on you since you and the rest of the sheep's are setting all day posting in DF LOOOL

they are part of our culture , I said that before!

not everything applies one everyone and like I said before there are ppl who are productive and the ones who think they are productive.

to tell you the truth kanelli you kind of reminded me of the west when they use to concur the Asian countries and assign themselves as the GOV and military leaders and the ones who get to be paid more than the locals whom they slave in their own countries, is this what you want here ? no thanks, we'll be the boss this time honey,, live with it or leave where ever you wish to get paid for posting threads all day long. get lost
uaekid

Jan 29, 2009
wishmaster wrote:Whole Dubai Forum vs uaekid
not fair

Never heard of a discussion? :wink:

Its common in this world for people to join eachother in groups and say whats on their mind. Majorities have great influence in our world. UAE kid has to show he got the bullocks to stand against it.
So far, he's enjoying his comfortable lifestyle probably and typing keyboards with his we finger in his big beach signature villa.

It depends on his age (UAE kid), whether Sheik Mo will be able to support him if this world recession will hold on too long. With any good education he might find work at one point. But with this non working attitude he keeps ranting all day on DF about/against Westerners with his foreign 'brother' Muslimbangladeshi.

I have to admit...sabbatical is nice... :lol:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 29, 2009
bushra21 wrote:This is where I disagree with you UAEkid; there is no shame in work. If the individual is not qualified to be a CEO of a company, he should by no means be in that position, regardless of his nationality.

Work is work, everyone has to do it to survive.

Respect
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 29, 2009
So many sides to the points made in these posts.

In the early days Emiratis were treated like third class citizens in their own country. I read an excerpt from the autobiography of Essa Al Gurg. He was a clerk in a bank and the head of the bank repeatedly would hit him in the head with a ledger. Mr Al Gurg became the UAE Ambassador to the UK.

Locals may receive larger salaries hired for the same position as an expat but that takes into consideration that the locals are not on a package. If expats added up the plus plus to their salary they would probably come out ahead.

I have also witnessed where employed Emiratis received no direction or mentorship from the expats, and they really wanted to learn. Not lazy, came in on time every day, but were put in a corner and left on their own. No incentive was given to them.

Going back several years ago the expats (sorry to say, the majority were Brits) were on a paid holiday. There was no competition and they employed Indians who were ever so grateful to have a job. An Indian was considered employable before an Emirati.

About 10 years ago I worked in a law firm and a local came in (dressed in western clothes) to pass his CV for a job. He was a qualified lawyer and he was going door to door looking for a job. This broke my heart because I felt that he should not have had to take that route to find a job but he was determined I will always remember him.

It seems that both expats and locals have this sense of entitlement. It is unfortunate that the second and third generation locals have no knowledge as to how it was for locals 25 years ago. This country has been turned up side down to accommodate expats and in the process local culture was diluted.

Bushra21 you make a valid point about qualifications for employment. I would meet young locals - 23, 24 years old - and when asked what did they do - I could have fallen out of my heels when they would say "I'm a CEO at ......". All I could think was that no one was doing them any favors but sending them to the top with absolutely no experience. With the expats leaving, I don't there there will be enough qualified locals to step in and this is only going to hurt companies further.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jan 29, 2009
Good post Bora Bora
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 29, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
wishmaster wrote:Whole Dubai Forum vs uaekid
not fair

Never heard of a discussion? :wink:

Its common in this world for people to join eachother in groups and say whats on their mind. Majorities have great influence in our world. UAE kid has to show he got the bullocks to stand against it.
So far, he's enjoying his comfortable lifestyle probably and typing keyboards with his we finger in his big beach signature villa.

It depends on his age (UAE kid), whether Sheik Mo will be able to support him if this world recession will hold on too long. With any good education he might find work at one point. But with this non working attitude he keeps ranting all day on DF about/against Westerners with his foreign 'brother' Muslimbangladeshi.

I have to admit...sabbatical is nice... :lol:

just having fun with you guys , nothing personal, as a matter of fact I was showing one friend of mine , a specialist in psychology , DF interesting threads that I fight in, and what he told me made me feel sorry for you really. He said ( let those ppl be, the are ppl who couldn't make anywhere else and that’s why they are here, those ppl talk more than they do and that’s why they wont progress in life and only experts in complaining a lot.

The reason I mentioned he is (western) a psychologists is because he did analyses your behavior and it was a sad one that I don't want to mention it other wise everyone will go into psychology discussion and go off track but the main point is that he said let them be, they are not harming you or your country neither any one is Listening
to them so what is all the fuzz about.
uaekid

Jan 29, 2009
UAEKid, has your friend told you that it is very possible that you could be a certified narcissist? Or did he get his degree off the back of a box of cereal?

Are you here for our entertainment because I find you very amusing.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jan 29, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:UAEKid, has your friend told you that it is very possible that you could be a certified narcissist? Or did he get his degree off the back of a box of cereal?

Are you here for our entertainment because I find you very amusing.

:lol: awesome :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 29, 2009
uaekid, I don't live in Dubai. 8)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat