Seaguls In The UAE

Topic locked
Seaguls in the UAE Mar 17, 2007
Since I feel everyone is in the mood for caring for animals, I wondered how many of you know about the government's poisening of the seagulls?

Specially in Sharjah, you can often see dizzy seaguls walking drunkly on the ground then falling down then getting up and walking again.

The first one I saw was on the beach at Al-Qasba canal. There was a seagul on the shore, soaked in sea water and just sitting there. Openning it's peak and closing it in a rythm. I thought it's legs were broken, but when I held it his body had nothing wrong in it, but as if he was drugged. I had to leave it behind because everyone who was with me at the time was screaming "PUT IT DOWN! IT HAS BIRD FLUE!!!111"

Days after I saw the dizzy ones, then one day someone told me that the government is poisening thier food cause they're scared of bird flue and want them dead.

Anyone else aware of this? And is it "seagul" or "seagull" ?

PARANOID
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 17, 2007
Seagull
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 17, 2007
Maybe they were en route from UAQ.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 18, 2007
Sounds like they were drunk, and I thought Sharjah was dry!!!!
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 18, 2007
sage & onion wrote:Sounds like they were drunk, and I thought Sharjah was dry!!!!

I think so too. Many birds get drunk from eating fruit from trees.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 18, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Sounds like they were drunk, and I thought Sharjah was dry!!!!

Wow I didn't know that.

But I'm also sure the one I found at the beach was dying. I had a lot of pets die, before they do they do that mouth-opening-and-closing movement.
PARANOID
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 18, 2007
PARANOID wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

Wow I didn't know that.

But I'm also sure the one I found at the beach was dying. I had a lot of pets die, before they do they do that mouth-opening-and-closing movement.

Odd because I do that when drunk too.
^ian^

Mar 18, 2007
Cool, I'd love to watch.
PARANOID
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 18, 2007
So some mouth to mouth might be in order for Karaoke night. Jeeeeeeeeevvvvvaaaaaaaaan? :lol:
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 19, 2007
Sadly PARANOID, this IS true! The authorities have been poisoning them, it was in the press a few months ago. It's pretty ridiculous and incredibly cruel and not much of a solution to bird flu. What are they going to poison all the birds? Migrating and local ones.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 19, 2007
Chocoholic wrote:Sadly PARANOID, this IS true! The authorities have been poisoning them, it was in the press a few months ago. It's pretty ridiculous and incredibly cruel and not much of a solution to bird flu. What are they going to poison all the birds? Migrating and local ones.

I figured…Since there used to be lots of seagulls on the fences on Khaled lake which I used to enjoy throwing food for and for the crows too, now you can hardly see any.
PARANOID
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 19, 2007
PARANOID wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Sadly PARANOID, this IS true! The authorities have been poisoning them, it was in the press a few months ago. It's pretty ridiculous and incredibly cruel and not much of a solution to bird flu. What are they going to poison all the birds? Migrating and local ones.

I figured…Since there used to be lots of seagulls on the fences on Khaled lake which I used to enjoy throwing food for and for the crows too, now you can hardly see any.

Source? Not just hearsay.
^ian^

Mar 19, 2007
I believe I read it in 7 Days.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 19, 2007
If they are boozing, do they need a liqour licence?
nathooarif
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat