Russian's In Dubai

Topic locked
Russian's in Dubai May 29, 2009
I write this knowing some very unoriginal replies may follow but I guess it comes with the stereotype of the subject I raise (unfortunately). I have been teaching myself Russian using CD's and phrasebooks for 6 months and now I feel I'm at the stage where I want to converse as it's one thing learning the odd word but entirely different when understanding conversations.

Someone who is fluent in Russian and good English who has a few spare hours a week and who would like to earn some money or indeed a tutor is the kind of person this is aimed at. I work for an airline in Dubai and my flying schedule means a college course isn't feasible. Although I meet many Russian crew on flights our opposing rosters mean the opportunities to meet up aren't regular enough.

Any helpful contacts are appreciated in advance ... Cue the comedians :roll:

Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

May 29, 2009
Well you could always try the... aw, you take all the fun out of it.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 29, 2009
I can show you how to make borscht but otherwise sorry. I need to learn it too since I often get mistaken for one.
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

May 29, 2009
You mean the ...Crowne Plaza??? I'm all for the fun of it but I've noticed these kinda threads get more lost in the sideshow of amateur stand up than the substance so apologies for trying to stop the fire before the flames are fanned and the smoke hides the original post.
I learned 'Skol' ka' a long time ago ...when buying souveniers in Red Square of course!
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

May 29, 2009
puppypup wrote:I can show you how to make borscht but otherwise sorry. I need to learn it too since I often get mistaken for one.

So PP do you take advantage of your various tantalizing looks?
I'm sure loads of gullible men and women? must be eating outta ur hand!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 29, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:
puppypup wrote:I can show you how to make borscht but otherwise sorry. I need to learn it too since I often get mistaken for one.

So PP do you take advantage of your various tantalizing looks?
I'm sure loads of gullible men and women? must be eating outta ur hand!

No they like me because of my cooking.
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

May 29, 2009
To contribute a little:

Dubai Eye radio station has a Russian night.

To fan the flames:

Puppypup there are no Filipinos in Russia ok?
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 29, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:Puppypup there are no Filipinos in Russia ok?

How do you know the OP is Filipino? I can only cook him Russian food since I have the Lithuanian roots (sorry OP, I don't speak Lithuanian either). I can't cook Filipino dishes except chicken adobo.

@OP If you don't find a Russian speaker here, may I suggest eating at Russian or Russian owned restaurants or other Russian owned businesses so you can practice? Or just strike up a conversation with any Russian you meet on the streets.

I talk to random French and Turkish speakers when I want to practice the languages.
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

May 29, 2009
puppypup wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:Puppypup there are no Filipinos in Russia ok?

How do you know the OP is Filipino? I can only cook him Russian food since I have the Lithuanian roots (sorry OP, I don't speak Lithuanian either). I can't cook Filipino dishes except chicken adobo.

I was talking about you babae.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 29, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:
I was talking about you babae.

Oh you think I look like CHER!!!! She was cute. Thanks
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

May 29, 2009
I'm yet to try the delightfully sounding borscht but with beetroot figuring pretty heavily I'm not so sure but thanks for the offer of cullinary tutoring and hospitality. Do you have any friends who also look Russian and speak the Motherlands native tongue? Even as I write this I just can just imagine the replies ...
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

May 29, 2009
Ruggedblond wrote:I'm yet to try the delightfully sounding borscht but with beetroot figuring pretty heavily I'm not so sure but thanks for the offer of cullinary tutoring and hospitality. Do you have any friends who also look Russian and speak the Motherlands native tongue? Even as I write this I just can just imagine the replies ...

Do you secretly want the replies. What native tongue do you speak of? Ilya is a 70ish year old man who may have time. He only speaks Russian.
puppypup
Dubai Expat Helper

May 29, 2009
To be serious for a second, I'm pretty sure an ad in Dubizzle would get you a ton of replies.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 29, 2009
I'm Russian but I won't be coming to Dubai until a few more months.
Ruskie
Dubai Forums Member

May 31, 2009
puppypup wrote:
Ruggedblond wrote:I'm yet to try the delightfully sounding borscht but with beetroot figuring pretty heavily I'm not so sure but thanks for the offer of cullinary tutoring and hospitality. Do you have any friends who also look Russian and speak the Motherlands native tongue? Even as I write this I just can just imagine the replies ...

Do you secretly want the replies. What native tongue do you speak of? Ilya is a 70ish year old man who may have time. He only speaks Russian.

Sounds great so long as he speak's English too!

I'm surprised there aren't more Russian's on here. I think Dubizzle might be a good idea to find a tutor.
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

May 31, 2009
Dubbizle would definitely be a good idea. Hang in there though, the Russians on DF normally surface post the weekend festivities!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 31, 2009
Is there a Russian Society in Dubai? Google that question.

Go onto a Russian web forum and ask in English about contacts in Dubai.
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 31, 2009
By the way ! How does anyone learn a difficult language like Russian........whilst thinking that "Russian's " is the plural of Russian ?

There are no apostrophes in plural words!!

The web thread title is WRONG!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 31, 2009
RedKite wrote:By the way ! How does anyone learn a difficult language like Russian........whilst thinking that "Russian's " is the plural of Russian ?

There are no apostrophes in plural words!!

The web thread title is WRONG!!

If I can't even master my own language then what chance do I have of learning Russian. Well done and major kudos for your important input into the thread ...the hours of time I would have wasted learning a second language when the extent of my ability was right here all along. Thank you so much ...
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

May 31, 2009
I could help but I speak only Russian fluently and "English as a Second Language".

The forum of Russian speaking community is www.russianhome.com but a registatration fee is 100 DHS there.

Another very useful resource is www.visit-russia.co.uk - great service, a lot of business opportunities and free of charge. If you use google.co.uk with words "learn Russian language" it will be 17th result. (just joking)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

May 31, 2009
The first site was all in Russian (which I have a problem understanding) and the second was linked to buying the domain name.

Thanks for the thought but I'm looking at something more one to one tutoring or meeting Russian's here who might want to learn their grasp of English by meeting friends who speak languages they're interested in.
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

May 31, 2009
Unfortunately it's the main language that the members of Russian community speak. :D I definitely didn't see any forum where Russians speak in English.

There is one Russian University in Dubai where you can find some tutor. I could ask if you want.

I don't what to insult but why do you think that you can learn Russian language speaking 2 hours per week with some native speakers?

Any standard English course for foreigners requires 3 years and 6 hours per week.

If you want to do it quicker you should go for 3 month to Russia, Ukrain or at least Kazakhstan where you can't do any single step without some knowledge in Russian. :)

Better option is a Russian partner (sometimes I think about Chinese girl-friend) but I think it's difficult to have the one for language only. :)

P.S. I don't think that cassetes (learning via second language: English for example) is a good idea. I had such an experience in studing Mandarin. Then the native-speaker told me that the sentences in the cassetes were grammatically right but nobody speak like these in the real life. At the other hand something is lost in translation but if you translate from Russian to English and then to your native language you can lose everything.

Two years ago my Chinese friend asked me in Russian - I want "sweetheart". After an hour I understood that he really wanted "honey" with tea. :)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

May 31, 2009
The Russian University in Jebel-Ali at the Knowledge Village offers language courses.

http://www.rudubai.ru/en/shorttermcourses/
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 01, 2009
Red Chief wrote:Unfortunately it's the main language that the members of Russian community speak. :D I definitely didn't see any forum where Russians speak in English.

There is one Russian University in Dubai where you can find some tutor. I could ask if you want.

I don't what to insult but why do you think that you can learn Russian language speaking 2 hours per week with some native speakers?

Any standard English course for foreigners requires 3 years and 6 hours per week.

If you want to do it quicker you should go for 3 month to Russia, Ukrain or at least Kazakhstan where you can't do any single step without some knowledge in Russian. :)

Better option is a Russian partner (sometimes I think about Chinese girl-friend) but I think it's difficult to have the one for language only. :)

P.S. I don't think that cassetes (learning via second language: English for example) is a good idea. I had such an experience in studing Mandarin. Then the native-speaker told me that the sentences in the cassetes were grammatically right but nobody speak like these in the real life. At the other hand something is lost in translation but if you translate from Russian to English and then to your native language you can lose everything.

Two years ago my Chinese friend asked me in Russian - I want "sweetheart". After an hour I understood that he really wanted "honey" with tea. :)

Yeah when it comes to conversing that's where I need to meet Russian's or a tutor for regular practice. Phrasebooks and CD's are still helpful as they teach the basics like transliterating words.

I'd be interested in any contacts from tutors to language exchange with Russians here in Dubai.
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 01, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:The Russian University in Jebel-Ali at the Knowledge Village offers language courses.

Thanks, I'll look into this along with input from others who have been helpful on here regarding contacting tutors.
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 01, 2009
Red Chief wrote:Unfortunately it's the main language that the members of Russian community speak. :D I definitely didn't see any forum where Russians speak in English.

Gods grace, what happened with you Chief? :lol:

I actually had a laugh from your contributions for the first time. What happened? ;)

Keep it up mate
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 01, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Gods grace, what happened with you Chief? :lol:

I actually had a laugh from your contributions for the first time. What happened? ;)

Keep it up mate

Actually the second time at least. The first one was about Vodkabreath guy. :D Anyway thanks.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 01, 2009
I'm not a Russian but I learned that language in school for 6 years, if you find me suitable, send a message.
GEM
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jun 01, 2009
GEM wrote:I'm not a Russian but I learned that language in school for 6 years, if you find me suitable, send a message.

Thanks GEM. I clicked on your details but a pop up said I had to post 10 topics to send PM's??? Maybe the mod's can assist with this please?! If not then I'm at
d a m i e n s @ e m a i l . c o m
you'll also notice I can't even put links to my email until I have put a certain amount of posts on here?!
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 02, 2009
Hi RuggedBlond,

I think this is what you are looking for... :) hope this helps... cheers !!! :wink:

I hope it's alright to post this here though ... :) :?:

Date: Friday, May 22, 2009

Category: Lessons Offered

Region: Dubai

Description: Russian Business Tuition (private classes or small groups) Fully adapted lessons to personal needs of each student. First level of 35 hours is designed to respond the essential needs when dealing with Russian market or traveling to Russia. All classes are speaking focused and will help you to build up the confidence and knowledge from the very beginning and bring you up to real life situations. Materials are provided at the first class. The fee is 100 AED per academic hour.
Organization of Russian classes for companies is also possible. The fee is 150 AED per academic hour (small groups).

Please contact for more details:
Regina LAMOUR (Russian is mother tongue) (Diploma in Applied foreign langiages, Aix en Provence, France)

Mob: 0506562534
mail: reginalamour(at)emirates(dot)net(dot)ae
web site: www.reginalamour. com
rahulwitty
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat