Rip Off Britain.

Topic locked
Rip Off Britain. Nov 22, 2011
Well I'm not sure if it is Rip Off Britain or just Rip Off Motorists actually!

I made a call to an insurance company to get a quote for my new(ish) little car. The dealer recommended that I take their offer of 7 days free insurance whilst letting them give me a yearly quote until I could shop around and compare prices.
I was quite impressed with their service and their quote, which was £308 for the year. This was based on the fact that my no claims discount is held against my main car. Not bad, me thinks!

'While you're on' says BM to the nice salesperson, 'can you give me a quote with my daughter as a named driver too'

'Certainly madam!'

We went through the details where I pretended Beth was 17. She isn't till next year but I thought it would give me an idea and it wouldn't be too much of a shock next year when I came to adding her.

'Ok Madam! here's the quote, with your daughter as a named driver for fully comprehensive insurance for one year for a Mini One.... £6153.00.'

'Pardon?' says me when I picked myself up from the floor 'how much?'

'£6153.00' says the salesperson. 'Should we go ahead and add your daughter to the policy?'

'No thank you' says me.

I am just thankful I never gave Beth a little brother or sister. How do parents afford these prices to get their kids on the road?
I asked my little friend at work how much his insurance costs, he has a ten year old Fiesta and he is 19. The car is worth about £350 and he pays £1000pa insurance.

I have absolutely no idea what car insurance costs in the UAE. Is it about the same as rip off Britain?

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Rip Off Britain. Nov 22, 2011
At that price BM they just don't want the business do they? You can go online here to get a quote from Axa-Gulf for a comparrison to Dubai prices;

https://online.axa-gulf.com/car-insurance/NewBusiness/getaquote.aspx

A couple of friends of mine in the UK have managed to get reduced premiums for family members by including them on fleet policies, their ages still increase the premiums but certainly not to the tune of over £6,000! you can always look at the likes of gocompare.com when the time comes to renew any policies.
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Rip Off Britain. Nov 23, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:'Ok Madam! here's the quote, with your daughter as a named driver for fully comprehensive insurance for one year for a Mini One.... £6153.00.'

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Looks like it would be cheaper to give her a "Taxi allowance" for the next couple of years.

That quote is simply outrageous.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I haven't tried yet but I'm sure I'll get something cheaper! Beth is hoping too as I've told her she will be driving a tractor to school if I can't bring it in under £2000.

A girl I work with lives out in the sticks, her mother never learnt to drive a car and always took her to school in a tractor :D She still takes the tractor to do her weekly shop, they have no central heating and have never owned a washing machine. That's progress :P
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat