Requesting - Best Practice In Dealing With EMARATI CITIZENS

Topic locked
Requesting - Best practice in dealing with EMARATI CITIZENS Nov 28, 2010
First of all this is not a racist question, clearly people from different cultures require different modes of communication, right ?

Anywho getting back to the subject at hand. My profession is going to involve lots of negotiations with emarati businessmen/women (industry specific). Hence I would like to kindly request the EMARATI MEN for any tips (not general ones) , on having good negotiation skills with the respected locals. I mean what are the cardinal rules ? that might make it go sour real fast , note ethnically I am INDIAN, so I anticipate lots of resistance to even get them to listen to me, Those of you who have to deal with daily negotiations , your advise would be invaluable.

Also I would like to request the emarati women IF they are present here, In best practices in having meetings with them. I mean strong eye contact and confident manners is an indispensable negotiation tactic, But since they are MUSLIM, what should be properly done ? Can I shake hands with them at the start of the meeting ? What about jokes ? What about giving gifts before starting the meetings or when a meeting is sealed (not to be confused with a bribe, im talking as a good will gesture instead purely for professional purposes)

If I am not clear, please do not hesitate to request a clarification

zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Requesting - Best Practice In Dealing With EMARATI CITIZ Nov 28, 2010
There are a few local guys who visit DF, but not frequently. UAEKid shows up the most, and it's only now and then. I believe DK (Dubai Knight) does quite a bit of business with locals and can probably give you info.

As for the women, you do not shake hands with them unless they extend their hand to you. Everyone likes a joke, but there is a time and place for them and obviously keep it clean. Gifts are not necessary. Remember, it is business, and local women take pride in the advancements they have made and want to be treated as equals, although there are a few who were "gifted" with certain positions. If you are faced with such a person and they talk as if they know what they are talking about (but not completely) be diplomatic in getting your point across without "insulting" them about their lack of knowledge. Opening conversation is generally light (if you are new to Dubai or Ajman as I see from your location) you can tell them how you are enjoying Dubai/Ajman and all the wonderful things about it, blah, blah, blah, and then you move into the matter of business.

As for you being Indian :) Emiratis deal with ALL nationalities and have been dealing with Indians for the longest time. At the end of the day its about business.

Good luck to you.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Requesting - Best practice in dealing with EMARATI CITIZ Nov 28, 2010
In your dealings with Emirati's, know that you will be alone, in case of conflicts no one will help you, no friends, no consulate, no lawyers (those just want your money) and expect the local justice system to work against you.
Contracts are not worth the paper they printed on, laws changes every 2 weeks, with retro active effect.
The main criteria for Emirati's business deals is for them to make money with your money.
3 years ago, Sheikh Mohammed said in his 60 minutes interview: "Dubai does not need investors, investors need Dubai" how do you think it sounds today?
They feel they are entitled. If you can make some money it s fine, but it will be after they served themselves.
You say to be an Indian and that you don't want to be racist, don't worry they will do it for you, ten folds....
You never give any gifts to an Emirati, the ones who would be happy with your gifts cannot help you and the ones who could help could not care less of whatever you can give them because they already have everything you can imagine. I saw it first hand, you have no idea how many times I saw laptops, gold fountain pens going to the buttlers or the drivers.
Read the news, if HSBC, CityBank, thousands of investors and other major banks got screwed up, what makes you think you won't be.
You do not shake the hand of an Emirati woman, go easy on the eye contact, you do not give her a gift, you don't joke either. I think joking is bad business practice anyways and anywhere, not just with Emirati women.
Let me paint a picture for you: The Emirati is like the nice and smiling neighbor, he invites you to his house, offers you sweets and tea, jokes around, compliments you, but the next thing you know is that your are working on his house with materials you bought.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

It all depends how high you are up the Indian national food chain to be honest.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Ok Herve may have a slightly biased viewpoint, but does make some valid observations.

Business generally in the UAE is often carried out not on the basis of sound professional skill sets, but on relationships. The more comfortable a local feels with you, the better the chances of you actually moving forward to the money making bit.

Be prepared, however, for the fact that everything (and I mean EVERYTHING!) will need to be laid out in clear, concise language and with masses of documentation to back it up. Don't worry, there is little or no chance of them actually ever reading it, but the weight of a document will hold more credence than the content! When it comes to presenting, they will seem to be distant and not focused with a very short attention span, therefore the key is to get directly to the point, illustrate it as much as possible with pretty pictures and diagrams and never, ever, present any financials! These should be kept back in an separate document and presented when, or if, you get to the point of discussing money. Be assured, even if the final figure is zero, it will be too much and you HAVE to negotiate.

A UAE and his/her money are hard to separate. The chances of finding one who will lay out at the first meeting or on a whim are very few and you will be made to jump through every hoop possible. It is to do with 'face'. Any venture must be a safe investment as, if it were to fail, the loss of face is more damaging than the loss of money.

When dealing with local ladies, there is a degree of protocol involved. Many of them are highly educated and savvy, often more so than their male counterparts. Never hold out your hand to shake. If she holds out hers, then this is permitted. When seated, always keep your feet flat on the floor, never cross your legs or show the sole of your foot. It is a very small thing, but is still taken as an insult by some ladies. My advice would be to start off the conversation by finding something around you that is an example of 'taste' and mention this before anything else. "I do like the colour you have chosen for the walls", "That is a very striking watch, is it Patek Phillipe?", "May I say that the design of your sheyla is stunning, who made it for you? Is it your own design?" Anything that gives the local lady the chance to talk about her colour sense, style, fashion sense or independence of choice are good and be prepared to allow her to talk on as this is flattering to her. This should last at least 10 minutes and then it is up to you to steer the conversation back to the points you really want to make. Don't talk about cars!

Be sure about your facts, local ladies are much more astute about many things than the men and you may find yourself closely cross examined. Beware also the local lady that hands over a comprehensive document and then asks you to implement or advise her on the contents. This has been written by a previous person trying to sell her the same product and is a device designed to either get you to provide the same or better service at a lower price, or a bear trap to see if you know your subject...because she certainly doesn't.

In summary, all dealings should be professional and business-like, yet with a touch of humanity. Don't bother sending emails to confirm points, they are rarely read and would never be admissable when it all goes wrong. A fax with a signature and company stamp holds more weight than anything. Remember, anyone working below this lady will be of limited ability and is only there because of it.

I could write a book about dealing with local business, but sadly I am too busy turning locals upside down and shaking them to see how much dosh falls from their dish dash!

Best of luck!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Requesting - Best Practice In Dealing With EMARATI CITIZ Nov 28, 2010
Bora Bora - Much Obliged Ma'am, I am not currently in ajman, but will be soon, Hence getting the "411" on DUBAYY :)

Herve - Thank you very much for your critical analysis of their behaviors, I will keep every point in mind before I jump into anything. Personally I have had little exposure to living in the middle east and am aware of their um.. laws.. , But with all the information floating around the internet, I am a bit more apprehensive to say the least.

drewpeacock - Not that high up, But i dont have a chain of command to follow

Dubai Knight - I am extremely grateful for your carefully thought out and detailed replies. Elaborate Business Plan Check, Engage in witty banter with businesswomen -Check ( Wow I did not realize I have to be this careful with them, actually what you have said is quite intimidating, although I appreciate your candid reply on the subject manner) , Yes and I will make a concerted effort to pay extra attention to every sigh and shifting of their gazes when I engage in any business conversation - Thank you really for this info. Well glad to know that their not big on email , now i dont have to get a BB service psheww. And good luck to you in your venture. Actually I have been really researching anything I could find about business behaviors in your country, however there is no good source that even remotely touches on this subject. Hey if you ever think of writing that book on "Emarati Business Behavior Psychology", I can guarantee you will have readers from all over the world :). Shukran.
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

For starters try 'Don't they know its Friday?' by Jeremy Williams.

Mostly aimed at business in Saudi, but a few useful pointers about the Gulf in general.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat