Renew Your Registration Or Face Confiscation!!!!!

Topic locked
Renew Your Registration or Face Confiscation!!!!! Apr 02, 2010
Many people avoid renewing because they have a lot of accumulated, unpaid fines. I know of two myself.

TJ

Renew registration or face confiscation

Shafaat Ahmed

2 April 2010, 10:19 PM

The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) is revving up its campaign to make motorists aware of the hazards of not registering their vehicles in time.

The authority has offered several new incentives as well as convenient processes to make re-registration hassle-free for motorists.

With around 80,000 unregistered vehicles plying on Dubai roads — most of whom do not register to avoid paying accumulated fines — the RTA is willing to make some concessions to bring them back to the legal fold.

According to the RTA, individuals who have accumulated fines of Dh5,000 or more can pay them in equal instalments whereas for companies, the accumulated amount should be Dh30,000 or more to be eligible for the instalment scheme.

The vehicle owners have a month’s grace period from the expiry date of previous registration and exceeding the grace period would attract penalties.

The Licensing Agency at the RTA has also come up with several tech-oriented measures to remind the motorists and make the registration process attractive. “The agency has put in place a mechanism whereby the owner of each vehicle is reminded to renew registration of his or her vehicle two weeks before the expiry and one month after the expiry date,” said Abdul Kareem Nimat, Director of the Vehicle Licensing Department.
“The RTA in association with ENOC’s Tasjeel at Al Barsha has also rolled out a service of ‘Renew your vehicle while driving’ to facilitate things further for customers,” added Nimat.

Through ‘Renew your vehicle while driving’ initiative, a vehicle (three years old or less) can be registered in five minutes. These vehicles are exempt from the tests and the drivers are not even required to get off their vehicles. With a valid ID and renewed insurance policy, one can finish the process within no time.

The recent launch of online insurance system has made the process even easier. Following its successful launch of online vehicle and licence registration portal, the RTA recently introduced online insurance process as well, linking almost all insurance providers to its portal. The two e-initiatives combined will smoothen the registration process while saving motorists’ time.

“By launching these two services online, the agency is seeking to save the time and effort for clients, and enable them to process the renewal of vehicle registration from any location, without bothering to attend to any business site, which might involve lengthy waiting time to have such transactions processed,” said Ahmed Hashim Bahrozyan, CEO of the Licensing Agency.

Since the launch of the online registration process last June, the portal has witnessed considerable traffic with over 1,500 transactions processed by the end of last year. Now, with addition of e-insurance, the RTA is expecting over 30 per cent of registration work to be done online by the yearend.

Other measures adopted by the RTA to make life easier for motorists include the extension of the working hours at some licensing centres and offering licensing and registration services all over Dubai such as Tomooh Centre which works 24 hours a day and ENOC Al Qusais which continues the service up to midnight.

According to the statistics provided by the RTA, Dubai witnessed a 2.5 per cent rise in the number of registered vehicles in 2009 — from 996,997 in 2008 to 1,021,880. However, the number of new vehicles registered in the first half of last year dropped considerably compared to the same period in 2008. A total of 85,066 new vehicles were registered in the first six months of 2009 whereas the number of new vehicles registered over the same period in 2008 stood at 147,033.
shafaat@khaleejtimes.com

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArti ... ion=theuae

8) 8)

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Renew Your Registration or Face Confiscation!!!!! Apr 03, 2010
It's not necessarily fines, I know of a few people who are unregistered because the finiky testing centres keep failing their vehicles for the stupidest reasons - er like a small dent in the wing, which does not affect the car in the slightest, yet it would cost quite a bit to fix, so these people just can't be bothered.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I just had to renew 2 registrations and the process can still be long winded and complicated. I can only register my bike at Barsha Tasjeel because the insurance company is based there. The latest addition is that you must carry a warning triangle in the back of your car or it will fail. No-one announced it or advertised it, they just introduced it. Incidentally, they can be bought at the garage and are supplied by...the RTA!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Its a cat and mouse game at best and I've been playing it for ages. A few months back I knew I would have issues renewing my Discovery. Being lifted an extra 2" for offroad use. Fenders trimmed to fit larger tyres. steel bull bar in front and plenty of leaks all round :D ( its a LR after all ! ) etc etc.

So 1st I went and gave the car a good wash from underneath, removed my 2 mtr antenna and went to X center on Aweer road. After a lot of inspection. Car failed, Steel Bull Bar not allowed, Steering box leak !

No worries went a little further down just before entering Y test center got unde the car with a rag and wiped off some of the oil spot the wash dude missed and put my car in...after a lot of waiting. Car passed.

Drove for another 20 days trying to squeeze out that extra one month to the max. Then went to barsha tasjeel got my papers typed out. Saw the triangle being sold at counters. Asked If I needed one and he was shocked your car passed without one. I said yeah so I didn't bother and decided to wing it.

Took my number to wait, turn came up, dude saw my papers all in order, in a few minutes new Mulkiya in hand B)

Always a new challenge every year 8)

I know people with jeeps fail because of steel bumpers ( which came factory fitted ) Nissan patrol due to Xenon lights as the tester refused to believe they came that way out of the box. 1st dude just fitted plastic endcaps on the Jeep and it passed. Second dude wasn't so smart and went to the dealers and got a letter saying yes it left the factory with those Xenons !
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat