Rememberance Sunday

Topic locked
Rememberance Sunday Nov 12, 2007
I know its a day late but i wanted to post this and ask you all to take a minute to remember all those who lost their lives in the 2 great wars.

Please spare a thought today for all those Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians, Americans, British, Polish, French, Russians, Belgians and all the other Allies that gave their lives for us all.

Thanks

arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 12, 2007
And those innocent victims of the war on both sides.. the generations who suffered the aftermath, the innocent civilians and those who didnt have a choice but to join the army n fight and those many un told stories of un heard heroes..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 12, 2007
I actually attended last year's remembrance service in Dubai with my Nan!
It was held at the anglican church, the one near St. Mary's...

It really was quite strange, not in a bad way at all, but just, well...strange. For one of the first times ever, we sat down and talked about some of her experiences, growing up during WWII. And I could see her reminiscing all of a sudden, really re-living the memories. Some of the stories were just incredible...

You know, the scene can be very cliched, almost like out of the movies. I mean that kind of generational bonding - young guy or girl sitting with some pensioner and realizing that the emotions we feel are all universal - regardless of aga, color, religion etc....But that's what it was like..
burton
Dubai forums Addict
Location: meanstreets of satwa, outside your mosque, stealing your shoes...

Re: Rememberance Sunday Nov 12, 2007
arniegang wrote:I know its a day late but i wanted to post this and ask you all to take a minute to remember all those who lost their lives in the 2 great wars.

Please spare a thought today for all those Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians, Americans, British, Polish, French, Russians, Belgians and all the other Allies that gave their lives for us all.

Thanks

which war r u talking about? anyone from Dubai forum died in that war or what?

who gave life for all of us? I dont believe a French can give life for a British
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Rememberance Sunday Nov 12, 2007
HP wrote:
arniegang wrote:I know its a day late but i wanted to post this and ask you all to take a minute to remember all those who lost their lives in the 2 great wars.

Thanks

which war r u talking about? anyone from Dubai forum died in that war or what?

who gave life for all of us? I dont believe a French can give life for a British

HP, try reading a history book or something, the two great wars are the 1914 - 1918 (WW1) & 1939 - 1945 (WW2)
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 12, 2007
Have you participated in that war? :roll:

How old were ya at that time :P
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 12, 2007
HP

please please try to have a bit of respect on this occasion. Many of your fellow countrymen also died in 1939-45 and i apologise for omiting India.
arniegang

Nov 12, 2007
arniegang wrote:HP

please please try to have a bit of respect on this occasion. Many of your fellow countrymen also died in 1939-45 and i apologise for omiting India.

Except HP is from Pakistan (well, allegedly anyway).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 12, 2007
Concord wrote:
arniegang wrote:HP

Except HP is from Pakistan (well, allegedly anyway).

Both are not wrong... we were one country then..

But Arnie.. I think it should be worth noting that history is always written for/by the winners.. not for the absoulte truth .. so if HP doesnt like being a part of it or find it not worth a great lot of respect.. I'd still respect his feelings.. and leave it at that..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 13, 2007
Thanks for pointing out that Pakistan was India then St. L.

Mate, Rememberance Sunday isn't about celebrating who won, its about remembering those who gave and lost their lives from all the countries that formed part of the Allies. We remember everyones contribution, no matter how small.

It is not a political celebration, far from it.

Re HP maybe a moment of reflection to remember the 22,000 brave Indians who lost their lives, and over 80,000 that were taken prisoner coinsidentally involving campaigns in the middle east and North Africa.

Here is something i have copied from a site - in fact i was totally amazed at the huge contribution by the then Indian nation.

The Indian subcontinent (present-day India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka - henceforth referred to, for convenience, as ‘India’) contributed the largest volunteer army in history to the Allied cause during the Second World War. Out of a population of some 384 million, over 2.5 million servicemen and women, every one of them a participant by his or her own choice, gave their services.

Most of this mighty number served in the Indian Army - 700,000 of them in the 14th Army in Burma, representing nearly three-quarters of its strength. Indians served in the North African campaign against the Germans, in Eritrea and Abyssinia against the Italians; in the Middle East, Iran and Iraq; in the Far East; in Italy, where they took part in some of the bloodiest fighting at the siege of Monte Cassino and elsewhere.

Many Indians took to the seas - 30,000 joined the Royal Indian Navy, and many thousands served as merchant seamen.

The air service attracted a large number of Indians. 55,000 joined the Royal Indian Air Force as flyers or ground staff, while several enterprising airmen came to Britain to serve with the RAF.

Indian women took part in their hundreds of thousands, either as WRINS (Women’s Royal Indian Naval Service) or WACS (Women’s Auxiliary Corps: Indian), or as nurses, munitions workers and many other forms of service.

In addition, it is estimated that some 14 million Indians took part in other forms of war work.
arniegang

Nov 13, 2007
the history of my ppl is full of death, lost battles, "bad" choices, etc, yet i will say the same thing i can say for the second, 1st WW or any other war that happened/happening/will happen in the history of human kind, loss of lives, no matter how painfull, unfair it seems, useless it seems, etc. do happen for a reason and all part of a circle that we all contribute to and in the same time none of is really responsible for.
yes they are tragic, but the world is round and perfect in a twisted way because of them(too).
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 13, 2007
My Great uncle was a Luftwaffe pilot during the blitz of lOndon, he erased hundreds of bRitish civilians

RIP
valkyrie
Dubai chat master

Nov 13, 2007
arniegang wrote:
Re HP maybe a moment of reflection to remember the 22,000 brave Indians who lost their lives, and over 80,000 that were taken prisoner coinsidentally involving campaigns in the middle east and North Africa.

Here is something i have copied from a site - in fact i was totally amazed at the huge contribution by the then Indian nation.

British army , who had occupied on United India forced the indian people to fight for them . Pushing those people in the black-hole and then firing 24 guns slute doesnt mean someone "great contributor".

Indians were slave , a slave doesnt care if the owner change, the only thing matters if someone set him free.

Let assume if Indian had contributed for great cause then what Royal British had done for them? leaving them to fight for endless
dispute -Kashmir?

PS" if we have to remember all those people who suffered because of Royal British , i am sure we have to keep silence for entire life".
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Rememberance Sunday Nov 13, 2007
arniegang wrote:Please spare a thought today for all those Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians, Americans, British, Polish, French, Russians, Belgians and all the other Allies that gave their lives for us all.

Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_ ... K%C3%A9bir

Even when then the victims are killed by their backstabbing allies.

valkyrie
Dubai chat master

Nov 13, 2007
"rememberance sunday"

i cant even rmenbmer yesterday :roll:
MAC
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat