* Random Thought :- Air Flight Between Dubai & Sharjah

Topic locked
* Random Thought :- Air flight Between Dubai & sharjah Nov 01, 2008
Source : Dubai UnderGround

Every one of us knows that Dubai-Sharjah Traffic is BULLSHIT ! 2 1/2 hour for a 17 km distance , I don't see it justified in any way .

I came across this random Idea when I was rotting ideal in one corner of the globe . How about a Sharjah - Dubai Air Flight ?

We could always have a new air strip in some " Not-So-Far-From-Town " region of Sharjah and land it on the dubai airport . Small planes may be 20-25 passengers. The plane takes off only when the plane is full .

Affordable ticket .Minimum baggage checking or scanning to reduce the voyage time . Voila sharjah - Dubai trip can be only 15 minutes .

what do you think ? will this work ?

dude91x
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: * Random Thought :- Air flight Between Dubai & sharj Nov 02, 2008
dude91x wrote:Source : Dubai UnderGround

Every one of us knows that Dubai-Sharjah Traffic is BULLSHIT ! 2 1/2 hour for a 17 km distance , I don't see it justified in any way .

I came across this random Idea when I was rotting ideal in one corner of the globe . How about a Sharjah - Dubai Air Flight ?

We could always have a new air strip in some " Not-So-Far-From-Town " region of Sharjah and land it on the dubai airport . Small planes may be 20-25 passengers. The plane takes off only when the plane is full .

Affordable ticket .Minimum baggage checking or scanning to reduce the voyage time . Voila sharjah - Dubai trip can be only 15 minutes .

what do you think ? will this work ?

The airspace here is congested enough without slinging little commuter planes into the mix. Do you have any idea of the operating costs of a small plane like this?
In order to be profitable, the seat price would be around 300Dhs one way. You can fly to Muscat for the same with Air Arabia.
The vast majority of commuters from Sharjah could not afford that.
Then consider that you still have to drive to and from the airport.
Hence the reason there is no service yet.
There was talk of a water taxi from Khan Lagoon to The Creek...then Nakheel announced Palm Deira and that did not become feasible.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 02, 2008
U could be rite , !

But i still think this can work !( Optimism )

Let me research on the fuel and operating cost a bit and i ll post my findings on this thread !
dude91x
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 02, 2008
then when the plane lands on deirah airport...

say hello to the traffic outside...
xymo
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 02, 2008
dude91x wrote:U could be rite , !

But i still think this can work !( Optimism )

Let me research on the fuel and operating cost a bit and i ll post my findings on this thread !

I can give you those.

A 12 seater (non turbine) costs $1000 per operating hour without landing fees, hangarage, standing fees or duties.

A 22 seater (turbine) costs approximately $3000 - $5000 per hour, depending on the make and model. Plus the usuals as above.

The most expensive item on the list is the AOC (Air Operators Certificate) and your public liability insurance.

Just getting a license to operate would be nigh-on impossible. The sea planes that you see giving tours over Dubai used to operate from the creek and the guy had the bright idea to run a shuttle service to and from Abu Dhabi. He charged 350Dhs. per passenger and the plan was to be there in 40 minutes.

He did not do his research well enough before he bought the aircraft as there are a lot of restricted flight zones between the 2 cities and the actual transit time became 1.5 hours. You can drive there in 1 hour and it costs about 30Dhs. in petrol!

He went bust.

:? :? :?

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 02, 2008
Have they even talked about making a train rout to Sharjah?
I think its unlikely given the history of contention between the two.
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 02, 2008
It wouldn't be worth it the plane would literally take off, then land again, the distance is too short.

They need to extend the metro to Sharjah and do better bus services.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 02, 2008
Or they can put up other more creative modes of transpo to be in line also with Dubai's tourism business, like toboggan rides or gliders lauched from very high towers. 8)
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Nov 02, 2008
Zeppelins could be profitable and affordable. Quite some research is done in other major urban areas concerning operating zeppelins with positive results...however since the Hindenberg, nobody dares to go in one anymore...
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 02, 2008
Flying Dutchman wrote:Zeppelins could be profitable and affordable. Quite some research is done in other major urban areas concerning operating zeppelins with positive results...however since the Hindenberg, nobody dares to go in one anymore...

They could be powered by flying pigs
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 02, 2008
Pigs cannot stay out in the sun very long, they get sun-burned and will probably acquire skin cancer. Besides, they're haram!
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Nov 02, 2008
I love pigs, they're awsome animals, and very intelligent.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 02, 2008
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 02, 2008
Flying Dutchman wrote:Zeppelins could be profitable and affordable. Quite some research is done in other major urban areas concerning operating zeppelins with positive results...however since the Hindenberg, nobody dares to go in one anymore...

Now we are talking my area of expertise!

The Hindenburg, and all other Lighter than Air flying machines at that time, apart from those operated by the US Navy...used hydrogen as a lifting gas. Its cheap and easy to produce, but has a nasty side effect of blowing up if mixed with air and catching a spark.

The US had, and still has, the monopoly on helium. This is inert and does not react with anything. The problem is, its hideously expensive to produce. They used it to lift their airships, but faced other technical problems with gas expansion and condensation inside the hulls. They were successful for the time and one, The Akron. even had a squadron of small fighter aircraft housed inside that were launched and recovered using a swing out trapeze under the ship.

The old rigid airships used a light duralmin skeleton to contain the gas bags and a aluminium dust doped canvas outer skin to make them streamlined. In order to carry sufficient load and fuel as well as engines, they were absolutely huge. To give you an idea, you could park a Boeing 747 Jumbo under the tail fin of the Hindenburg and it would not get wet if it rained! It required 7 MILLION cubic feet of hydrogen to lift itself and cargo.

Unfortunately, to build a ship of this type today would be prohibitively expensive. Modern airships are much smaller. the largest only carries 12 passengers and they use a non rigid bladder filled with helium and a cabin slung underneath to hold the now much lighter engines.

A 12 seater airship will set you back US$450,000 per month on a lease complete with a sizeable number of crew. The hardest thing to find...are pilots. There are actually more qualified astronauts in the world today than airship pilots.

There have been rumours of an airship visiting Dubai for years, but no-one will pick up the tab. Despite their operational abilities they have an achilles heel: weather. If it is too windy, it is impossible to launch and land them and they require very expensive custom built hangarage in severe conditions. Nature has been the single thing that has caused more airship accidents than warfare or human error.

Nice idea, but operationally and economically unfeasible.

8) 8) 8)

Knight of the Air
Dubai Knight

Nov 02, 2008
Well, you know what they say.

BLIMPIN AIN'T EASY
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 02, 2008
so., flights to avoid traffic., your imagination is ok to write on your blog as
well as here., but look at the distance the passenger aircraft to cover...
it's hardly 18km.....a lot of people would go in early morning and making
a line to pass the check-ins and maybe domestic airways need not require
our passports handy if we had them .... and hordes of people at the airport, maybe a seperate dubai-sharjah to and fro airport., this project would cost them a lot..and when are they going to finish?....will they be making profit outta this?.... they could first extend the metro to cover all the emirates instead of having it only for dubai....this also has to be economical.,

its just UNITED arab emirates and not the rules are all universal.,
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Nov 02, 2008
We have to consider that the government simply WANTS to make it hard to travel between Sharjah and Dubai. If it was easy; no-one would live in Dubai because its so much cheaper to live in Sharjah.

They are doing it to make sure there are still people here to line the old dish dash pockets with outrageous rents!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 04, 2008
Dont Blast me People , It was just a random Thought :| cuz I spend 5 hours of my day in traffic .

Spare the Kid !
dude91x
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 04, 2008
dude91x wrote:Dont Blast me People , It was just a random Thought :| cuz I spend 5 hours of my day in traffic .

Spare the Kid !

Get one of those little Lambretta scooters, you would save at least 4 hours a day!

:D :D :D

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 04, 2008
dude91x wrote:Dont Blast me People , It was just a random Thought :| cuz I spend 5 hours of my day in traffic .

Spare the Kid !

your random thought wasnt bad.., 8)
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Nov 04, 2008
Will it work if I learn to drive and start using a motorcycle, will it take less time? :?
Simonee
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 04, 2008
Simonee wrote:Will it work if I learn to drive and start using a motorcycle, will it take less time? :?

Much, much less time.

You have to be brave and face the chance that you are then officially a target and will undoubtedly have to kick the doors of more than a few blacked out 4x4's as they try to run you off the road.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 07, 2008
maximusprime wrote:Have they even talked about making a train rout to Sharjah?

There are plans for a UAE train system. Maybe by 2020 there'll be something ... and 10 years later Sharjah will connect to it.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 08, 2008
10 years :( , that means i have to spend half ma life in traffic till then ?
dude91x
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat