Police Case Against Me

Topic locked
police case against me Oct 04, 2009
I left Dubai a month ago after wrapping up all my work there. My employer still owes me a lot of money. I emailed him and asked him to pay up and he informed me that he is filing a case with the police against me for theft/embezzlement of approx. 700 USD.

This is totally bogus but I am out of the country. I need to know what to do. Will the police contact me or will they just sentence me in my absence. Obviously, I do not want a criminal conviction against me.

I cannot afford to hire a lawyer sitting overseas and want to make this matter go away (talking to the employer seems to be out of the questions). Can someone please tell me what to

dunebasher1
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: police case against me Oct 04, 2009
dunebasher1 wrote:I left Dubai a month ago after wrapping up all my work there. My employer still owes me a lot of money. I emailed him and asked him to pay up and he informed me that he is filing a case with the police against me for theft/embezzlement of approx. 700 USD.

This is totally bogus but I am out of the country. I need to know what to do. Will the police contact me or will they just sentence me in my absence. Obviously, I do not want a criminal conviction against me.

I cannot afford to hire a lawyer sitting overseas and want to make this matter go away (talking to the employer seems to be out of the questions). Can someone please tell me what to

Call the police. Tell them that your Employer (name the company) is threatening or told you that they have filed a case. The police will probably say they don't have a case or give detials. However, if they say they don't have a case call again. At least 3 times. If no case, then you call the police and tell them that your company owes you money and is not paying but threatening you with a case. The lying by the Employer, if indeed you owe them no money, may itself be a crime punishable by some jail time.

You have to be sure that there is no grounds to any case. It would seem your Employer knows you are out of the country and wants to take advantage, etc. Specially if you would need a visa to re enter the UAE (together with all the expenses) and the amount owed is small so that all expenses including airfare and accomodation will not make it worth your while - precisely why they do it and get away with it.

If the UAE were a real country I would say come back and fight your case and ask the court to make the Employer pay for your expenses. But this is not a real country.

Else tell us who the Employer is so we can stay clear of them.

Cheers
Ballbraker
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 04, 2009
This is happening all too often. WEas talking to somebody the other day that had to endure a court case. The accusations did not stand up in court and the judge threw it out. Blatant lies by a local guy could have landed him in prison. It is a tricky situation and I for one would not like to advise you on this point because innocence is sometimes irrelevant.

Good luck.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 04, 2009
let me guess dunebasher1, you are not Western!
Ballbraker
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 04, 2009
The police can't do anything until the judgment from the court. Call the court if you have really a case against you.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 04, 2009
xty wrote:The police can't do anything until the judgment from the court. Call the court if you have really a case against you.

The purpose of calling is to see whether they filed a case. Then he can tell the court (if he goes that route) that the Employer was threatening him and he called the police and there was no case etc. The court will not look favorably on that for the Employer.
Ballbraker
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 04, 2009
The person I was talking to was American.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 04, 2009
Ballbraker wrote:
xty wrote:The police can't do anything until the judgment from the court. Call the court if you have really a case against you.

The purpose of calling is to see whether they filed a case. Then he can tell the court (if he goes that route) that the Employer was threatening him and he called the police and there was no case etc. The court will not look favorably on that for the Employer.

You can't open a case at court without any reference letter either from ministry of labour (+FZA if it's an FZCO) for labour case, family guidance section of court for family case (divorce/custody), or police for criminal case.

If the employer indeed had opened a case against him (through all the processes), then the person can call and check the court for the case number and hearing dates. If there's no such, then it's up to the person if he intends to file against the company or not (on the base of threatening, etc). But I doubt the person could do that if he's not resident anymore, unless there's already & still valid power of attorney here.

I'm not sure calling the police will help as they probably won't tell you even if they have centralized database. The same thing when one asks immigration whether he's blacklisted or had a travel ban against him, normally they wouldn't tell.

The person should act only when there's a court order (normally the court will call directly the person, or put an ads on newspaper). But again if the person is not UAE resident anymore, it's quite complex. Involving Interpol over $700 claims? I don't think so.

So if the person is not claiming whatever the company owes him, just relax. Unless you intend to open a case anyway.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 04, 2009
xty wrote:
Ballbraker wrote:

You can't open a case at court without any reference letter either from ministry of labour (+FZA if it's an FZCO) for labour case, family guidance section of court for family case (divorce/custody), or police for criminal case.

If the employer indeed had opened a case against him (through all the processes), then the person can call and check the court for the case number and hearing dates. If there's no such, then it's up to the person if he intends to file against the company or not (on the base of threatening, etc). But I doubt the person could do that if he's not resident anymore, unless there's already & still valid power of attorney here.

I'm not sure calling the police will help as they probably won't tell you even if they have centralized database. The same thing when one asks immigration whether he's blacklisted or had a travel ban against him, normally they wouldn't tell.

The person should act only when there's a court order (normally the court will call directly the person, or put an ads on newspaper). But again if the person is not UAE resident anymore, it's quite complex. Involving Interpol over $700 claims? I don't think so.

So if the person is not claiming whatever the company owes him, just relax. Unless you intend to open a case anyway.

Chill a bit. The OP said the employer told him they went to the police. So he should call the police to find out.

Obviously the OP is not going to go to court. The amount they owed him must be small otherwise the employer would claim embezzlement of much more.
Ballbraker
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

dunebasher1 wrote:I left Dubai a month ago after wrapping up all my work there. My employer still owes me a lot of money. I emailed him and asked him to pay up and he informed me that he is filing a case with the police against me for theft/embezzlement of approx. 700 USD.

Dont waste your time and money calling, the police won't tell you anything. If there is a case against you, you need to know the case no, then only an attorney can access to it. Without showing up, you will be convicted by default, in absentia. If you go back to the UAE you will be arrested, but you can appeal the conviction in absentia.
My advise, pay or dont bother to return. they wont refer your case to interpol for 700bucks!
capsicum
BANNED

capsicum wrote:

Dont waste your time and money calling, the police won't tell you anything. If there is a case against you, you need to know the case no, then only an attorney can access to it. Without showing up, you will be convicted by default, in absentia. If you go back to the UAE you will be arrested, but you can appeal the conviction in absentia.
My advise, pay or dont bother to return. they wont refer your case to interpol for 700bucks!

This is actually good advice.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

capsicum wrote:If there is a case against you, you need to know the case no, then only an attorney can access to it.

Correction, if one doesn't appoint an attorney (it's an optional, not mandatory), one can ask at court some information directly (at reception desk or by calling) such as case number, hearing date, etc.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

capsicum wrote:
dunebasher1 wrote:Dont waste your time and money calling, the police won't tell you anything. If there is a case against you, you need to know the case no, then only an attorney can access to it. Without showing up, you will be convicted by default, in absentia. If you go back to the UAE you will be arrested, but you can appeal the conviction in absentia.

Thanks for the advise. What do you mean by pay? Do you mean the 700 bucks? Does this make my case/conviction go away?
dunebasher1
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: police case against me Oct 05, 2009
dunebasher1 wrote:Thanks for the advise. What do you mean by pay? Do you mean the 700 bucks? Does this make my case/conviction go away?

How do you know if the employer indeed had opened a case against you?
How do you know if their accusation/demand is only $700 and no other damages?

The only thing you can really know is from the accusation document they submitted when they open the case, and you could get it from the first hearing.

Alternatively, it is common where parties in disputes settle it outside the court. Some kind of agreement. That would be much better. You don't waste time and money.

But the question is that do you REALLY "owe" them $700?
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: police case against me Oct 05, 2009
dunebasher1 wrote:
capsicum wrote:
dunebasher1 wrote:Dont waste your time and money calling, the police won't tell you anything. If there is a case against you, you need to know the case no, then only an attorney can access to it. Without showing up, you will be convicted by default, in absentia. If you go back to the UAE you will be arrested, but you can appeal the conviction in absentia.

Thanks for the advise. What do you mean by pay? Do you mean the 700 bucks? Does this make my case/conviction go away?

Kind of too late now anyways, the problem is not if you owe your employer $700 or not, in the UAE that is irrelevant, it is in the filing of the complain or not. you wont be the first one to pay something you did not owe.
Anyone can file anything against you already with 90% chances to win, but if you are not even there to dispute it, you are 100% doomed.
today the $700 probably grew bigger, with damages and interests, for mental trauma and what not. ask your employer how much he wants, if you pay him, keep records, letter, proof of payment, notorized receipt, likely if the case was filed it might stay in the records, and you will be picked up at the airport, for a 6 hours detention of explaining. it s a lot of trouble for $700. you should have paid, otherwise forget it and never return.
capsicum
BANNED

Re: police case against me Oct 06, 2009
Ballbraker wrote:

Call the police. Tell them that your Employer (name the company) is threatening or told you that they have filed a case. The police will probably say they don't have a case or give detials. However, if they say they don't have a case call again. At least 3 times. If no case, then you call the police and tell them that your company owes you money and is not paying but threatening you with a case. The lying by the Employer, if indeed you owe them no money, may itself be a crime punishable by some jail time.

You have to be sure that there is no grounds to any case. It would seem your Employer knows you are out of the country and wants to take advantage, etc. Specially if you would need a visa to re enter the UAE (together with all the expenses) and the amount owed is small so that all expenses including airfare and accomodation will not make it worth your while - precisely why they do it and get away with it.

If the UAE were a real country I would say come back and fight your case and ask the court to make the Employer pay for your expenses. But this is not a real country.

Else tell us who the Employer is so we can stay clear of them.

Cheers

finally I got a new customer to attend too LOOL
stupid with the Fdo you mean by that ? it's paying for you dirty as* to finally know what it feels like to use a clean toilet paper
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: police case against me Oct 07, 2009
uaekid wrote:finally I got a new customer to attend too LOOL
stupid with the Fdo you mean by that ? it's paying for you dirty as* to finally know what it feels like to use a clean toilet paper

WHAT ?
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat