Pekiti-Tirsia Kali Hype In DUBAI, UAE!

Topic locked
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali hype in DUBAI, UAE! Sep 28, 2007
Any martial arts enthusiasts in Dubai or individuals who are interested to train on a regular basis?

DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2007
good looking ninja
guest999

Sep 28, 2007
train what exactly?
thats like saying anyone into sports want to do sports sometime?
a bit vague!
i would train muay thai or wing chun, but im a bit out of practise!
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 28, 2007
Hi dave101! Sorry for being too generic.

I train in Kali, a Filipino martial art which is weapons oriented. I'm looking for someone to train with on a regular basis. I'm sure your Muay Thai and Wing Chun training will really come in handy since both are combative in nature and not just for sports.

If you're interested or have a group of friends who are also into it, just let me know and send me a PM so we could arrange a meeting! :)
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2007
DaWarrior wrote:Hi dave101! Sorry for being too generic.

I train in Kali, a Filipino martial art which is weapons oriented. I'm looking for someone to train with on a regular basis. I'm sure your Muay Thai and Wing Chun training will really come in handy since both are combative in nature and not just for sports.

If you're interested or have a group of friends who are also into it, just let me know and send me a PM so we could arrange a meeting! :)

Hi Da, hi dave.

Da, where do you train in kali? At the BB Centre, or is is a private arrangement? Is your teacher Filipino?

Dave, you used to do wing chun? If you mean here in Dubai, I'm guessing you mean with Emin Boztepe's organization...

interesting...

:wink:
burton
Dubai forums Addict
Location: meanstreets of satwa, outside your mosque, stealing your shoes...

Sep 29, 2007
burton wrote:Da, where do you train in kali? At the BB Centre, or is is a private arrangement? Is your teacher Filipino?

Hi there burton!

We're training regularly in Al Safa park at night. But since I came back from vacation, we still haven't resumed. I'm Filipino by the way.

Let me know when you're available so I can meet up with you and tell you more about it.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2007
DaWarrior wrote:
burton wrote:Da, where do you train in kali? At the BB Centre, or is is a private arrangement? Is your teacher Filipino?

Hi there burton!

We're training regularly in Al Safa park at night. But since I came back from vacation, we still haven't resumed. I'm Filipino by the way.

Let me know when you're available so I can meet up with you and tell you more about it.

Heh, so safa park is your luneta eh?
True pinoy style!

Will pm you bro...

burton
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 30, 2007
sounds interesting, u accept n00bs?
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 30, 2007
my training was all done in the uk, i havent done any in dubai because i cant find anywhere close enough and cheap enough.

even an empty room with a punchbag would be enough for my thai boxing! my gym has everything but!
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 30, 2007
studstar, yes of course! Actually newbies are more encouraged since they haven't developed bad habits yet.

dave101, that's great! Conditioning is really essential in Muay Thai. If you plan to extend your training to weapons, let me know. The more the merrier!
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2007
ninjas usually roam around here in malls etc and in black outfits usually in groups
xibit
Dubai forums Addict

Filipino martial arts in Dubai Oct 01, 2007
Hi guys,

Im about to move to Dubai (in two weeks time) and I was searching the net for places where you can train Filipino martial arts. So are you guys practicing somewhere now? Would it be possible to join? Shall I bring my sticks and training knife when I move?

Done Lameco Escrima for 1.5 years now and would like to continue with some Filipino martial art in Dubai (not Latosa). Did Wing Tsun for 3 years but that was 10 years ago now.

Any info on Filipino martial arts in Dubai would be helpful.
Oskar
Oskar
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Filipino martial arts in Dubai Oct 01, 2007
Oskar wrote:Hi guys,

Im about to move to Dubai (in two weeks time) and I was searching the net for places where you can train Filipino martial arts. So are you guys practicing somewhere now? Would it be possible to join? Shall I bring my sticks and training knife when I move?

Hi Oskar!

We have an active training group right now and we're actually looking for people to join. Where are you from originally? You can bring your sticks and training knife with you, just make sure you check those in the airport to avoid any problems. Send me a PM bro!
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 05, 2007
I am Swedish. Waiting for my VISA to go trough and will then move.

I will bring my sticks and contact you again when I am down there.

What kind of Filipino martial arts do you practise?

Look forward to come down!

regards

Oskar
Oskar
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 06, 2007
Oskar, sent you a PM.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 08, 2007
where do u practice???? i looked for a good place thats weapon oriented and i never found any
magnester
Dubai Expat Wannabe

If You Walked Away Oct 09, 2007
In times of peace, everyday people go about their daily lives by keeping themselves busy, earning a living, doing chores, living life in general. In the olden times, people who are peaceful get massacred, pillaged, ravaged and entirely devoured by barbaric tribes who wanted to get a piece of the world of comfort deprived to them by society. One only realizes this when its too late when parents, wives, brothers, and next of kin have departed them.

By training in the warrior arts, one comes to understand the realism of COMBAT. War doesn't come when you wait. It comes like a thief in the night like death who will creep from your back and give you a lethal strike when you least expect it. By immersing oneself into the exact science of superior weaponry, you will get to understand why the stick is round and the blade is flat. The pen may be mightier than the sword but the sword will cut your head off! Wars are not won by fists or shins but by weapons. By having the right mindset and attitude, a person could lessen the possibility of tragic events he will come across. But mindset alone won't save you if someone wielding a bowie or icepick has you backed up against a street corner with nowhere to go. If you walk away from your destiny, be lax and wait for things to come to you, a false sense of security is developed. Facing challenges, being physically, mentally, and spiritually prepared, the individual is equipped with a new set of armaments needed for the war that will occur.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Indigenous Fighting Art Oct 09, 2007
If you have been an avid fan of martial arts, you have probably seen or participated in the latest craze in the west which is mixed martial arts or MMA. This type of sport emerged from different sets of traditional martial arts combined with other forms of martial arts. Realizing that when someone's training is not efficient in the cage or ring, we mix up the stand-up striking, grappling, and ground fighting aspect of the sport and come up with a new breed of martial arts which is MMA. In the Filipino Martial Arts scene, it is no different. Arnis tends to mix itself with Karate-do which makes Arnisdo. Escrima mixes with Kung-fu to make it Escrimafu while Kali mixes with Jiujitsu to make it Kalijitsu. This is a very big mistake! And as my manong used to say, "A mistake is a blunder". Martial arts bastardization may be efficient to a certain extent but in the long run develops bad habits and bad habits may cost you your life.

To further illustrate, a boxing stance is entirely different from a Muay Thai stance. Wing Chun entirely different from Karate, and so on. When a bunch of hoodlums approaches you in the middle of the night and decides to get your purse or laptop, which stance do you now follow? Do you give them a spinning back kick or low kick? Do you punch them on the face or bring them down to the ground? Kiss and hug them or push them away? In the doctrine that we follow, we do away with rules. We only know what works and what works has been tested time in memorial in the laboratory of pain and battlefield of bones. Effectiveness will be measured on how quick you could obliterate your opponent and how many times you could do it over and over again with exact precision. It is senseless doing a number of repetitive moves only realizing that it only works in one aspect of fighting. It only becomes a cardiovascular activity for a narcissistic individual to engage in.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 09, 2007
DaWarrior wrote:In the olden times, people who are peaceful get massacred, pillaged, ravaged...War doesn't come when you wait. It comes like a thief in the night...The pen may be mightier than the sword but the sword will cut your head off!

DaWarrior speaks the truth! (unfortunately)

burton
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 09, 2007
burton wrote:DaWarrior speaks the truth! (unfortunately)

Hi burton! How did you find the training on footwork last night?
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 09, 2007
Hi guys

Just thought I'd give my two cents on the topic and also let everyone know what is going on:

This week marks my second week of training in Pekiti Tirsia Kali (PTK) under the instruction of DaWarrior. The group currently consists of three people, Da included. I know that Da is looking to grow the group - with the right people, in the right way. And already, of course, some people have expressed serious interest in joining. This is really good news.

However, I know that many people are still not really sure about Pekiti Tirsia Kali, or the Filipino martial arts in general. Actually, the subject of Filipino martial arts is a very complicated one. There are lots of disagreements about classification, terms, ideology, origins etc.

But essentially - and as is becoming increasingly clear in this thread - one thing differentiates the Filipino martial arts from all other fighting systems, and it is this: the unique emphasis/importance placed on the weapon. Whether we are talking about stick, knife or sword. The weapon is EVERYTHING, first and foremost - and it is from the weapon that everything else follows, including 'empty hand' techniques. Period.

In my opinion, the best thing I would say to anyone seriously interested in learning Pekiti Tirsia Kali is to take a look at these links:

1) 'Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves' - the UK show

and

2) Human Weapon - the U.S. show

Both these TV shows are excellent, really good insights into the world of martial arts. And both these episodes focus on Pekiti Tirsia Kali. Perhaps Da has a few useful websites or webpages which he could recomend too...

That's it! Hope this has been useful for anyone reading. Just to re-emphasize: We are up and running! We have a small practicing group and we are looking forward to seeing what happens. 2007 marks the entry of PTK in Dubai. And it is definitely here to stay!

burton

:)
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Footwork and Body Mechanics Oct 11, 2007
One of the characteristics that distinguishes Pekiti-Tirsia Kali over other FMAs is the importance of footwork. If you have footwork as part of your arsenal, you already have the advantage, while successfully surviving an attack makes you victorious. Evasiveness in battle is the key to keep you alive. How would you be able to apply techniques if you are still standing in harm's way? By applying correct footwork and proper body mechanics, you get out of the line of attack to put yourself in a more comfortable position for you to apply your moves. Others may see it as a dance, yes, but stagnancy in fighting would just make you an easy target. A moving target, is always a hard target and that is why footwork is essential.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Footwork and Body Mechanics Oct 11, 2007
DaWarrior wrote:A moving target, is always a hard target and that is why footwork is essential.

Sup Da!

Yep, the Kali footwork is very different to other martial arts. It takes a bit of getting used to. But, it's also a helluva lot more logical.

I can definitely see this from the knife work we've been doing - the evasive footwork patterns, the angles, are simply mind-blowing.

The simplest of movements designed to put you in that safe space, clear you from the path of that knife...and allow for your own counter!

Very, very good stuff!

p.s. yesterday's lesson was a killer!
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 11, 2007
Hi burton! I'm glad you enjoyed the lesson. :)

How are your arms? At least now you have experienced it first hand and not just read or watched it from the internet. :wink:
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2007
For more information on this art you can visit the following websites:

http://www.pt-go.com/
http://www.pekiti-tirsia.net/
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

pekiti tirsia Oct 24, 2007
Hello,

Great that there is a small kali class in dubai, have actually been looking for it but found nothing on the web!

I have been introduced to it through a friend here in Sweden, have just done a class, but i have experience from other martial arts.

Would vey much like to come and join your group if possible. I am moving to dubai this month so perhaps i can join once i have settled in.

Also hello to Oskar who seems to be a fellow swede!!

please send me an email.
swe77
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: pekiti tirsia Oct 25, 2007
swe77 wrote:Hello,

Great that there is a small kali class in dubai, have actually been looking for it but found nothing on the web!

I have been introduced to it through a friend here in Sweden, have just done a class, but i have experience from other martial arts.

Would vey much like to come and join your group if possible. I am moving to dubai this month so perhaps i can join once i have settled in.

Also hello to Oskar who seems to be a fellow swede!!

please send me an email.

Hi there swe77! I sent you an email.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Who Do You Turn To? Oct 29, 2007
Last night I heard a story about this 20 something English woman who was "harassed" in passing somewhere along the Deira area. The woman apparently was coming from the Hamarain Centre right after closing time and going towards her car. Ironically, take note that this place is a stone's throw away from the Police Station. A dark man who suddenly appeared from nowhere approached the woman from the front. Upon crossing paths, then man unalarmingly made a move to feel her chest area. In an instant, the woman's mobile phone rang and when she picked it up and held it to her ear, the man's hand mistakingly landed on her arm. The woman kinda surprised continued talking on the phone while looking back at the dark man who was now walking away from her. She opened her car door, drove away and made it home safe.

Situations like this are never far from happening in our daily lives. Assailants will appear unknowingly when you least expect it. The woman was still fortunate that her aggressor just walked away and ignored the failed attempt. Having a high social or economic status should not be treated as a safety blanket for someone to be immune to attack. Reputation or anonymity are not deterrents for bad elements of society to do their bidding. This can happen to anyone.

In similar situations when you are by your lonesome, police out of sight, light of day gone, who do you turn to?
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2007
Guys,

Thanks for yesterday. It was fun training in the park. My body is sore and hands are full with blisters... but it was ok cause I showed the blisters to all the girls at work and they felt sorry for me and wanted to take care of me so it is all good... :D

Ill try to work on my footwork a little bit every day and maybe see you guys on the weekend.
Oskar
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 31, 2007
Hi Oskar!

It was good to finally meet up. Am glad we have another escrimador in our group!

Yep, guess we'll see you at the weekend sometime...

Oh, and keep milking that sympathy!

:wink: :lol:
burton
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat