One Of The World Smallest Airports

Topic locked
one of the world smallest airports Sep 11, 2009
Lukla Airport

Lukla Airport (IATA: LUA, ICAO: VNLK) is a small airport in the Town of Lukla in Khumbu, eastern Nepal. In January 2008, the government of Nepal announced that the airport would be renamed in honor of Sir Edmund Hillary[1]and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay, the first persons to reach the summit of Mount Everest. Sir Edmund Hillary died on January 11, 2008. Tenzing Norgay died in 1986. The airport is now officially named Tenzing-Hillary Airport (LUA|VNLK)[2]

Runway characteristics include 527m of bitumen runway. The width is 20m and the runway incline is a staggering 12%. The apron has 4 stands and there is one heli-pad located 150m below the TWR (air traffic control tower). No landing aids are available and Air Traffic Service is limited to AFIS (Aerodrome Flight Information Service) only.

The airport is quite popular as Lukla is the place where most people start their trek to climb Mount Everest.

the landing..

uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 11, 2009
I thought the smallest airport was in your head, just room for a short landing strip, nothing much else in there ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 12, 2009
LOL my head is anything but short,but sure looks like a run way being bald LOL
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 12, 2009
LOL....paint a dotted line down it in marker pen and flies can use it to land :D

How was the vacation. I don't think you gave us a report unless I missed it?
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 21, 2009
Hi There !!

Thanks for the information, on the smallest airport. Keep posting such informations :)

Thanks & Regards
Annete Duffel
annete.duffel
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 27, 2009
am I the only one who sees this airport as an accident waiting to happen?
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat