New Fines And Confiscation For Using Mobiles

Topic locked
New fines and confiscation for using mobiles Mar 24, 2009
The RTA has announced that anyone caught using their mobile phone whilst driving - without a headset - will get a 5,000 Dhs fine and their car confiscated for 15 days!

Ouch!

Get those headsets on!

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 24, 2009
They'll never enforce it, just like the hundreds of other traffic violations that occur every day and are ignored by police who drive right by.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 24, 2009
kanelli wrote:They'll never enforce it, just like the hundreds of other traffic violations that occur every day and are ignored by police who drive right by.

i dont think so, especialy this week is the truffic week so be carefull
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 24, 2009
Oh yes they will! I already know 3 people who've been pulled for it! One was given a 10,000 Dhs on the spot fine!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 24, 2009
Its a great thing to do, as long as it is for ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
If you know what I mean
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 24, 2009
Couple of classic stories, one nutter was driving like a fool, weaving and cutting people up - of course he's on the phone - my friend pulls up close to him at the straffic lights, taps on his passenger window and says 'Mate, if you can afford a Merc, you can afford a mobile headset!'.

Another friend sees this guys weaving around all over the place, he very nearly bumps into her, so she beeps at him and makes it obvious she's angry, he winds down his window and says 'Can't you see I'm on the phone?!'

What the hell do you come back that with?

Idiots!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 24, 2009
lol how will they check if you have tints??
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
Good thing. Now those mindful and careful drivers who use their mobile while driving and slow down to 40 on SZR and 25 on the streets can speed it up. Oh, and use their turn signals too.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: New fines and confiscation for using mobiles Mar 24, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:The RTA has announced that anyone caught using their mobile phone whilst driving - without a headset - will get a 5,000 Dhs fine and their car confiscated for 15 days!

Ouch!

Get those headsets on!

Where did you hear this, woman!?!
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

gtmash wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:The RTA has announced that anyone caught using their mobile phone whilst driving - without a headset - will get a 5,000 Dhs fine and their car confiscated for 15 days!

Ouch!

Get those headsets on!

Where did you hear this, woman!?!

Plus 2 black points on your license!

It is true. I guess most people will find out when they get the fine, points and car confiscated.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 24, 2009
sorry but i dont think this will work out. there are millions of cars on the road. are there millions of police cars to go around? nope.

well you can beat the system go around it :D. and hey if a person sees a police car they will hang up and start talking again once they gone past the squad car.

there is 1 in a million possibility of someone being caught.

unless you happen to be chocholics friend, they are always in the wrong place at the wrong time :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
rudeboy wrote:sorry but i dont think this will work out. there are millions of cars on the road. are there millions of police cars to go around? nope.

well you can beat the system go around it :D. and hey if a person sees a police car they will hang up and start talking again once they gone past the squad car.

unless you happen to be chocholics friend, they are always in the wrong place at the wrong time :D

Let us know when you get your fine.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 24, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
rudeboy wrote:sorry but i dont think this will work out. there are millions of cars on the road. are there millions of police cars to go around? nope.

Let us know when you get your fine.

i wont i m not one of chocs friends :(

anyways got a bluetooth system fitted in my car so everyone thinks i m a mad man waving his hands around and talking to himself :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009

Actually I disagree with you, people years ago basically refused to wear seat belts until it became mandatory with a hfty fine attached. 90% of drivers given the choice will not wear them, it is the risk of getting the fine that ensures they do.
As for me I have always worn a seat belt for myself and for any occupant of the vehicle I drive. Because I believe in its use.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 24, 2009
They will fine for a while and then back off, coasting on the fear generated. I remember when they cracked down on tints... hmmm, what do we see on the roads still?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 24, 2009
kanelli wrote:They will fine for a while and then back off, coasting on the fear generated. I remember when they cracked down on tints... hmmm, what do we see on the roads still?

But certain people seem to have avoided this crackdown, if you get my drift.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 24, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

Actually I disagree with you, people years ago basically refused to wear seat belts until it became mandatory with a hfty fine attached. 90% of drivers given the choice will not wear them, it is the risk of getting the fine that ensures they do.
As for me I have always worn a seat belt for myself and for any occupant of the vehicle I drive. Because I believe in its use.

i am not disagreeing with this new law regarind phones. all i m saying is that there are flaws in this law. yeh its easy to come up with a law but how exactly do you effectively immplement it? there are so many roads in UAE, there are so many cars in UAE and the no of police cars is less. so how exactly will you catch all of these drivers using phones whilst driving?

ppl are not dumb. do you actually think that ppl will continue talking on the phone whilst they pass right infront of the policeman and smile to the policeman while he does so :D. duh i mean if hes a indian yeh probably :D lol but seriously no1 will. they will just hang up and get back on the phone.

what about those who drive dangerously and are on the phone at the same time? do you see 100s of police cars checking up on every single car that passes them? nope.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

i am not disagreeing with this new law regarind phones. all i m saying is that there are flaws in this law. yeh its easy to come up with a law but how exactly do you effectively immplement it? there are so many roads in UAE, there are so many cars in UAE and the no of police cars is less. so how exactly will you catch all of these drivers using phones whilst driving?

ppl are not dumb. do you actually think that ppl will continue talking on the phone whilst they pass right infront of the policeman and smile to the policeman while he does so :D. duh i mean if hes a indian yeh probably :D lol but seriously no1 will. they will just hang up and get back on the phone.

what about those who drive dangerously and are on the phone at the same time? do you see 100s of police cars checking up on every single car that passes them? nope.

To be honest I see many people doing exactly what you describe, with the Police not taking any action.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 24, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

To be honest I see many people doing exactly what you describe, with the Police not taking any action.

they cant because there arent that many police cars. ok cameras and radars are good and they have put a huge numbers of them but you need more police cars and probably more CCTVs on every inch of the road.

there was a law about strict clamp down on ppl who drive on the hard shoulder. but still ppl do it. and how exactly do you catch them? by having more police cars? by having loads of cctv cameras on every single road?

fact is ppl in dxb are rich filthy. 10,000dhs is what? nothing to someone who can drive a cruiser, patrol, bmw or a merc, lexus. and hey they will consficate your car :S WOWEEEEE thats great but hmmmm what if in your house there are 4 cars :D

lol
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

they cant because there arent that many police cars. ok cameras and radars are good and they have put a huge numbers of them but you need more police cars and probably more CCTVs on every inch of the road.

there was a law about strict clamp down on ppl who drive on the hard shoulder. but still ppl do it. and how exactly do you catch them? by having more police cars? by having loads of cctv cameras on every single road?

fact is ppl in dxb are rich filthy. 10,000dhs is what? nothing to someone who can drive a cruiser, patrol, bmw or a merc, lexus. and hey they will consficate your car :S WOWEEEEE thats great but hmmmm what if in your house there are 4 cars :D

lol

"ppl in dxb are rich filthy"? Exactly who are you referring to? As for hard shoulder driving - look at the plates of those who do it. This practice is rare and has for the most part stopped. I'm an expat, not filthy rich, don't drive one of the above cars mentioned, and certainly would look to avoid getting a 10,000 Dh. fine.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 24, 2009
well i am not referring to anyone specifically on this forum. ppl are rich in dubai you know it and i know it. if you dont know it. go to dubai marina, go to jlt, etc.

do you drive a company car?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
rudeboy wrote:well i am not referring to anyone specifically on this forum. ppl are rich in dubai you know it and i know it. if you dont know it. go to dubai marina, go to jlt, etc.

I didn't think you were referring to anyone specifically on the forum. I know that you are generalizing On the level of one's financial work, where to you stand?

FYI: I drive my own car which is 7 years old.

And living in the Marina doesn't make you filthy rich. Most of those apartments were bought off plan years ago. Many of the residents have two incomes which made it possible to purchase a flat. Keep in mind that many of the flats in the marina are either rentals or sitting vacant, as well as in JBR.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 24, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
rudeboy wrote:well i am not referring to anyone specifically on this forum. ppl are rich in dubai you know it and i know it. if you dont know it. go to dubai marina, go to jlt, etc.

I didn't think you were referring to anyone specifically on the forum. I know that you are generalizing On the level of one's financial work, where to you stand?

And living in the Marina doesn't make you filthy rich. Most of those apartments were bought off plan years ago. Many of the residents have two incomes which made it possible to purchase a flat. Keep in mind that many of the flats in the marina are either rentals or sitting vacant, as well as in JBR.

are u a westerner?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

are u a westerner?

What does that have to do with anything?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 24, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

are u a westerner?

westerners get a pretty salary. so are you? yes or no?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

are u a westerner?

Before you ask the question, tell us what you are?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 24, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

are u a westerner?

Before you ask the question, tell us what you are?

british :D ;) :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Ouch!

Get those headsets on!

Show me some official communication on this and I will believe you. Until then its all bullsh!t.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 24, 2009
even if you wear headphones you are not likely to concentrate on driving.

so i guess its a qucik way of making money heheh :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2009
Using the phone whilst driving has always been illegal without a headset!

And are you blind? Or have you not seen those great big flashing warning messages from the RTA on the highways saying - 'Do not use your phone, call when you arrive!'
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat