Minimum Taxi Charge - AED10

Topic locked
Minimum taxi charge - AED10 Apr 03, 2009
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Traffic_ ... 00817.html

So the good news is that if the meter is OVER 10AED, the 10AED minimum does apply. LOL.

I have to wonder if it were the taxi drivers who complained, or the owners of the taxi companies.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 03, 2009
Hmm!!.......... I don't know ... BUT.. I'm the One who payed ... 30 AED!...... evry day from Home to work!..... Don't tell me I'm sleeping!!!..................
Sharp
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 04, 2009
As of April you don't come under the 10 AED minimum because after your meter registers over 10 AED it doesn't apply. The minimum 10AED charge is then a moot point. Can't help laughing at that one.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 05, 2009
I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, it forces people to be more conservative when using taxi's and to not abuse the privledge. (ie, taking a taxi to the corner store)..

On the other hand... that's ridiculous to have a 10 minimum. I love how they say the meter starts at 4 AED... It now starts at 10!!
dresden
Dubai chat master

Apr 05, 2009
Terrible and shocking news. It seems that authority only want to fill the driver's pockets. Where are the customers??? Well nice strategy to make successful the METRO....
Anosh
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 05, 2009
Well no actually this means that taxi drivers will be discouraged from refusing to pick people up for short journeys only.

They've just introduced a minimum charge from Dubai to Sharjah of 20 Dhs for the same reason.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 05, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Well no actually this means that taxi drivers will be discouraged from refusing to pick people up for short journeys only.

They've just introduced a minimum charge from Dubai to Sharjah of 20 Dhs for the same reason.

Isn't it 20 AED on top of what is on the meter?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 05, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Well no actually this means that taxi drivers will be discouraged from refusing to pick people up for short journeys only.

yes you are correct Bora Bora... the meter starts with 20 AED plus the travel charge...
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Apr 05, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:

yes you are correct Bora Bora... the meter starts with 20 AED plus the travel charge...
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Apr 05, 2009
Well you know that of the 20 AED surcharge and the different between the meter and the 10AED minimum charge very little, if any, will go in the drivers' pocket.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 05, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:They've just introduced a minimum charge from Dubai to Sharjah of 20 Dhs for the same reason.

Sharjah to Dubai 20 dhs minimum introduced in 2008.
Dubai to Sharjah 20 dhs minimum not yet, starting in a couple of weeks no?
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 05, 2009
bonk wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:They've just introduced a minimum charge from Dubai to Sharjah of 20 Dhs for the same reason.

Sharjah to Dubai 20 dhs minimum introduced in 2008.
Dubai to Sharjah 20 dhs minimum not yet, starting in a couple of weeks no?

It's not a minimum, its a surcharge - it AED20 plus what is on the meter, e.g. 7.00 meter charge, which would make the total fare 27.00AED.

Dubai to Sharjah is to start soon.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 05, 2009
How much does it take in case of the trip from Dubai airport to Sharjah: surcharge on surcharge?
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 05, 2009
That's what I meant. Basically if you go to Sharjah then the meter starts at 20Dhs and goes up from there.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat