Larger Dirham Coin.

Topic locked
Larger Dirham coin. Oct 21, 2007
Yesterday I got 2 coins as change. One was the regular size 1 dirham coin and the other a larger coin (1 dirham). They were identical but one larger (25% larger). The larger coin was not new but doesn't have a date on it.

I never saw the larger coins before. I guess they changed the size of the coins at one point. Anybody know?

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 21, 2007
:) Even I got one a week back.. Its the old coin isnt it? I remember having it in my coin collection years back.. Purrrrfect for coin tossing and to practise sleight of hand magic tricks..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 21, 2007
Yeah I quite often get them in change from Choithrams.

Try the 200 Dirham note on for size... if you get one of those. Half the people you show it to think it is fake.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 21, 2007
^ian^ wrote:Yeah I quite often get them in change from Choithrams.

Try the 200 Dirham note on for size... if you get one of those. Half the people you show it to think it is fake.

I think I have one of those. Funny thing is that it is old and taped together in the middle so it really looks fake.

I also have a couple of 10 fil coins. Small "copper" coins.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 21, 2007
Concord wrote:
I think I have one of those. Funny thing is that it is old and taped together in the middle so it really looks fake.

You must be rich :lol: :lol:
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 21, 2007
scarlet wrote:
Concord wrote:

You must be rich :lol: :lol:

That's why I said "I think I have one of those". I don't now what I did with it. If I knew, I would spend it and be left with the 2 10 fils coins to rub together.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Larger Dirham coin. Oct 21, 2007
Concord wrote:I never saw the larger coins before. I guess they changed the size of the coins at one point. Anybody know?

hmm, 3000+ posts since Dec 05 is like 4+ post per day; not seen that coin?.. maybe u should get out more often.. : P
anxiousape
Dubai Forums Member

anxiousape wrote:
Concord wrote:I never saw the larger coins before. I guess they changed the size of the coins at one point. Anybody know?

hmm, 3000+ posts since Dec 05 is like 4+ post per day; not seen that coin?.. maybe u should get out more often.. : P

Actually, I had a bet with him for 200 dirhams that he couldn't do 2000 posts in one day....

I lost :oops: so I gave him this dodgy 200 dirham note I got in Sharjah.
Dr.D
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 21, 2007
LOlllllll
anxiousape
Dubai Forums Member

anxiousape wrote:

Actually there isn't much of a need for coins except for parking meters. And I supppose the larger coins also work on the meters (although I would not be surprised if they don't).

Since Amarat won't take plastic I now pay for a full tank of gas in coins!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Concord wrote:Since Amarat won't take plastic I now pay for a full tank of gas in coins!

That's an awesome idea. I have about 100 dirhams sitting in a bowl on my bench. I use it to tip delivery guys, but your new idea is great.

I might go to Emirates Bank later and stock up on them.
^ian^

^ian wrote: I have about 100 dirhams sitting in a bowl on my bench.

You living in the park now :shock:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Concord wrote:
^ian wrote: I have about 100 dirhams sitting in a bowl on my bench.

You living in the park now :shock:

I sold everything I had and cashed it into Euros...
^ian^

Oct 21, 2007
Concord wrote:I also have a couple of 10 fil coins. Small "copper" coins.

If you think you'd throw them away someday, I'd be happy to get them as I collect coins (not hardcore collector, just coins/notes from the countries I ever lived in). Let me know.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 21, 2007
xty wrote:
Concord wrote:I also have a couple of 10 fil coins. Small "copper" coins.

If you think you'd throw them away someday, I'd be happy to get them as I collect coins (not hardcore collector, just coins/notes from the countries I ever lived in). Let me know.

I'll look for them and you can have them. I'll keep one as a souvenier. I think I had 2 or maybe 3.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 21, 2007
Hehe, newbies. I used to play with 5 fils and 10 fils coins as a kid. I also remember the gradual changeover from large Dh1 to small Dh1. Confusion at vending machines.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 21, 2007
gtmash wrote:Hehe, newbies. I used to play with 5 fils and 10 fils coins as a kid. I also remember the gradual changeover from large Dh1 to small Dh1. Confusion at vending machines.

So what man, that just makes you old :P
^ian^

Oct 22, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
gtmash wrote:Hehe, newbies. I used to play with 5 fils and 10 fils coins as a kid. I also remember the gradual changeover from large Dh1 to small Dh1. Confusion at vending machines.

So what man, that just makes you old :P

Actually, you guys are the old farts. I just got out of college. :wink:
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat