Kiwis In Dubai

Topic locked
Kiwis in Dubai Jan 11, 2006
Hi,
I'm a reporter at the Herald on Sunday in New Zealand, and I'm doing a story on New Zealanders who live and work in far-flung places around the world.
I am keen to talk to any Kiwis who are living in Dubai about what it's like -things like why they came to Dubai, the lifestyle, the money, things like education and health, whether they wil come back home, and all those culture-shock anecdotes that arise when people make a major change in their location. It doesn't matter how long you've been there (although more than a month would be good) or why you are there. Someone new-ish and someone who has been there for a few years and knows a bit about the expat community there would be great.
If anyone is keen to have a chat to me about this kind of thing, flick me an email - amanda.spratt@heraldonsunday.co.nz - and let me know when wold be a good time to call. My deadline is the end of this week - a bit tight I know - but I am happy to come in over the wee small hours to do the interview.
Thanks, and looking forward to hearing from you.

Newsbie
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jan 11, 2006
I've got a kiwi mate who's married to a kiwi, that run Shiekh Mo's horse breeding operation in Dubai. They've been there around 6 years and started a family in Dubai. I'll email you his number. He'd be right up for talking to you.
barastisundowner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2006
barastisundowner wrote:I've got a kiwi mate who's married to a kiwi, that run Shiekh Mo's horse breeding operation in Dubai. They've been there around 6 years and started a family in Dubai. I'll email you his number. He'd be right up for talking to you.

which breed of horse?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 12, 2006
Thoroughbred racehorses
barastisundowner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2006
barastisundowner wrote:Thoroughbred racehorses

So what are u doing in UK after leaving Dubai? Any regrets of leaving Dubai?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 12, 2006
Quantity Surveyor, based in Cambridge, commute mainly to London but also other various UK cities.
I miss Dubai every day, it is my Paradise and I can say that after living or visiting numerous countries on every continent.
barastisundowner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2006
Do you know, you are just about the first person I've seen on here writing about Dubai with what I would call real warmth and affection. Even those who say they life the lifestyle and enjoy the city usually have something disparaging to add like they hate the traffic or that it is in some way "fake" or "artificial" with plenty of people to match but it's OK to earn some bucks in the sunshine for a time.

You sound like you could quite easily settle in Dubai permanently and truly call it home.
GoodBai
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 12, 2006
barastisundowner wrote:Quantity Surveyor, based in Cambridge, commute mainly to London but also other various UK cities.
I miss Dubai every day, it is my Paradise and I can say that after living or visiting numerous countries on every continent.

So, another QS. Nice one! It's strange to hear of QS's leaving Dubai rather than coming to Dubai!
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 13, 2006
[quote="GoodBai"]Do you know, you are just about the first person I've seen on here writing about Dubai with what I would call real warmth and affection. Even those who say they life the lifestyle and enjoy the city usually have something disparaging to add like they hate the traffic or that it is in some way "fake" or "artificial" with plenty of people to match but it's OK to earn some bucks in the sunshine for a time.

You sound like you could quite easily settle in Dubai permanently and truly call it home.[/quote]

INSHALLAH!
barastisundowner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2006
barastisundowner wrote:
GoodBai wrote:Do you know, you are just about the first person I've seen on here writing about Dubai with what I would call real warmth and affection. Even those who say they life the lifestyle and enjoy the city usually have something disparaging to add like they hate the traffic or that it is in some way "fake" or "artificial" with plenty of people to match but it's OK to earn some bucks in the sunshine for a time.

You sound like you could quite easily settle in Dubai permanently and truly call it home.

INSHALLAH!

:D
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat