Investigating A Business In Dubai

Topic locked
Investigating a business in Dubai Nov 18, 2007
I have had an opportunity to work with a small dubai based LLC company as a trading partner. Before I begin this relationship I wanted to get information on the business like you can do in the west. E.g: # of owners, financial records etc. Is there a way to do this ? I was provided limitied information by one of the owners and I now have reason to believe that he was not completely forthcoming. It is a very good opportunity so I do not want to let it go without a through investigation. Any suggestions?

Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 19, 2007
Who has control in this business relationship? Of course the local partner here will control the actual business, but who controls the other end? I assume you do.

Don't ever give anyone the chance to f you over or they will. Its not like business relationships in the west where trust is automatic. The concept of trust (at least in asia), is where you can trust each other because its in your best interests financially at the time.

Sorry I can't answer your question though, but who needs who for this kind of business? Can you choose another business partner for this business? If you can let them know that you will be doing so unless they disclose the information you want. If not....well, I'd say it sounds very risky.
Al Jon
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 19, 2007
Why dont you start a business in one of the Free Zones?

There you have full control
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 19, 2007
i agree 100% with the post above - unless you have worked in the region for a few years, you need to have eyes in the back of your head.

i'd start off by asking for audited company records - just to see if they have been audited. if they can provide them, then have them gone over by an auditor who you appoint - there is nothing wrong with this request, even in the west due dilligence is practiced.

ask them for copies of the current company registration certificate, copy of the current the trade license, copy of the current property lease if they lease office space, you can also ask them for a copy of the sponsors passport... if they are up to no good asking for a copy of thier passports normally winds them up a bit - but it is a reasonable business request so they should not deny it!

if the company you are going to join is an existing partnership, also ask for a copy of the incorporation documents - this way you can see who legally owns what, and who is responsible for what.

is this an exisiting company and you are simply investing in it, or is this the establishment of a new venture all together - if so are you aware of the financial implications of starting a new business?

i'd also suggest that if you are serious about the idea, then start looking around for local attorney who can give things the "once over" before you sign anything. get an arabic speaking one, as all legal documentation is in arabic ... including all the documents i mentioned above that you should ask for copies of. you will need someone to translate them for you!

have a look at a post i did on tips for finding work ("professionals" section of this forum), in it is some info you can use to search for existing companies in dubai as well as a link for the department of economic development - you could contact them for assistance as well.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Nov 19, 2007
sorry, forgot,

i think the best advice is trust your instincts, if it looks to good to be true it probably is... if it doesn't feel "right" rather let it pass by
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Nov 19, 2007
Thanks for the advise. I was wondering if there are any private investigators in Dubai and if this is allowed under the law.
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 19, 2007
hi there, i know this query came up before, but i don't think it provided a definite answer. i've never seen the services of one advertised and seriously doubt that any would legally be allowed to operate in the country. although, if you have to go the legal route, i'm certain a good lawyer would know of a "source" which he could use to find out bits and pieces.

i'd first try the Department of Economic Development, after all you are a legitimate business person wanting to make some discreet enquiries in to a business which you would like to invest - this is part of what of the service they are supposed to provide potential investors in Dubai.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat