Influence On Behavior And Thinking

Topic locked
Influence on behavior and thinking Apr 24, 2011
I had a conversation with a friend of mine yesterday, who has lived in the region for about 35 years (British) and I was telling her about something I saw last week while out with BM and we got to discussing how our behavior and thinking has changed as a result of being in Dubai and what is considered "right" and "wrong", "acceptable" and "unacceptable".

While BM and I were departing a cafe I pointed out to her a young boy and the way he was dressed, or wasn't. He was about 15 or 16, a tall skinny boy, walking with his family along JBR without a teeshirt. This kid was as white as rice - definitely western, but no telling where from. I think he was carrying his teeshirt or had it stuffed in his back pocket. Anyway, looking further, his pants were pulled up just below his arse!!! All you could see were his cheap knockoff CK briefs that were a bit shear to the point of of almost seeing the crack in his arse!!! His family was heading into a restaurant. BM and I did an eyeroll and proceeded on. But my thought was: it wouldn't have to be a local to complain about him to the police, it could have been anyone, from the looks that he got. The people he was with, I'm assuming parents, were totally oblivious.

Now, anywhere in the world, in most restaurants/cafes you are not allowed in with no shirt, unless, of course its a cafe situated on the beach at a beach resort. I would imagine that this boy would be told to put his shirt on before entering. I would also hope that he would be told to pull up his pants!!! Now in the US I would think: what a silly boy and have a tinge of offense. I thought the same here, but also found his appearance quite offensive. The difference being a little and considerable offense.

So my friend and I had other discussions about our different reactions to the same situations in Dubai and when outside of Dubai and how the difference in the thinking seems so natural.

Do you have two different mindsets to the same situation Dubai vs. XXXXX?

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Influence on behavior and thinking Apr 24, 2011
I must say, Bora, that when i'm in Dubai I am more concious of how people around me are dressed. I am offended by women walking around scantily clad even at JBR when they have come off the beach. At home I wouldn't give them a second glance. We don't get that much good weather in the UK and I've come to accept that the good weather exposes flesh that should be kept covered, mainly because its purple and there's too much of it :shock:
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Influence on behavior and thinking Apr 25, 2011
People who dress like that are offensive to me no matter where I happen to see them.

It is really the fault of the boy’s parents to let him go out with them looking like that.

He sounds to me like them Wal-Mart shoppers!!! :D :D

:lol:
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Tom Jones wrote:People who dress like that are offensive to me no matter where I happen to see them.

It is really the fault of the boy’s parents to let him go out with them looking like that.

He sounds to me like them Wal-Mart shoppers!!! :D :D

:lol:

Sounds to me like Eastern Blockers!

Sounds to me that no matter where I am in the world, I would avoid the sweat stained seat that remain after they have left.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

You should have seen the two Dutch guys I saw in Spinneys this morning, one was wearing really short shorts - and PINK! With a vest top and his mate had boarding on with another stringy vest thing. The woman who was with them had a bikini on with a strappy sundress over the top - which really didn't cover much.

I wish I had gone and said something, but most people were staring.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Influence on behavior and thinking Apr 26, 2011
I do not think different in Dubai, I do behave different though. More adjusted to local customs with regards to clothing, alcohol consumption etc. To certain people I act more harsh in Dubai, otherwise you get nothing done.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat