Immigration - Check What Gets Stamped

Topic locked
Immigration - check what gets stamped Oct 13, 2005
Hey All,

Just a warning over something that happened to me last week and something that appears to happening alot.

If you have a residence visa, when you go through passport control, check what they're stamping in your passport, I came through last week and gave the guy at the desk my passport open on my visa page. BUT as well as stamping the normal entry stamp he also stamped the valid for 60 days from entry, which means I now have a visit visa too. Didn't realise what he'd done until I was flicking through.

I called immigration and they told me I have to go back and get the visit visa cancelled out! This has also happened to a mate of mine and they said he owe 3,000 Dhs in overstay, but they'd sort it - for a fee!

My friend said there were about 10 other people at the immigration office all with the same problem. Now either the immigration department aren't training their staff properly or it's a bit of a money making scam.

So if you have a residence visa, check what they stamp, because you know I rally can't wait for the major hassle that I'm going to be caused trying to sort it out next week - hohum.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 13, 2005
What I would recommend is if you have residency in Dubai, get an E-card, cost AED 75/year (150 for a card valid for 2 years) and no need for stamps at all. Not to mention just avoiding the gong show that is passport control and saving at least 30mins each time you are at the airport is worth it in itself.

If you have a valid residency and you get stamped with a visit visa that is just a scam in itself, what BS. The residency visa should override the stamp.

A few friends of mine and I went to Oman to go house boating once, a couple of them have diplomatic passports which don’t get a residency stamp on them. One of the guys forgot the ID card that accompanies the passport, just had his diplomatic passport and they wanted to charge him 19,000 DHS for overstaying his initial visit visa stamp. True his fault for forgetting the ID card but still what a scam.

Oh well live and learn and the male/female ratio improved so not all bad :)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Oct 14, 2005
Please explain:
What is the difference between the stamps?
I have Black stamps for "in" and blue for "out" - they are in arabic and I don't understand what is written on them.

What is an E-Card? where can I get one?

THX,
Robert
RobertS
Dubai Forum User

Oct 14, 2005
RobertS wrote:Please explain:
What is the difference between the stamps?Robert

If you look at your passport carefully you'll see TWO stamps. One is for 'in' and the other is for '60 days'. If you have a residencey permit they shouldn't give you the 'valid only for 60 days' stamp, which is Choco's unfortunate situation.

The other stamp is when you exit.

You can pick up an E-card at the back of the passport control hall (and probably other places too). When you get into the passport control hall hang a sharp left and look for the e-counter in the corner. More information at http://www.dnrd.gov.ae/dnrd/E-Services/ ... efault.htm

HTH - Stuart
Stuart
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2005
Whoa!!! Thanks for the info! You really made me look and check at our passports. Very strange for the immigration officers to do that. I am usually confident with the system here in Dubai and that is "it always works"! Will definitely be more aware on this next time.
PePPerCLIP
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 15, 2005
Well I have to say that I was very impressed with the visa guys at the airport in the departures section in the immigration office who sorted the whole thing and cancelled my visit visa in 5 minutes flat.

He said it was happening a bit, especially at busy times when there are so many more westerners coming into the country.

But it's all sort - whooorahhhh!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 16, 2005
I still would recommend the E-card .. its 150 dhs and you dont have to wait in those long lines ever again :)

just swipe your card, enter your fingerprint and off you go .. and also saves precious space on your passport for those of us who travel alot ;)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 16, 2005
... and don't forget that you get E-miles every time you use your E-card !

They don't advertise this bonus incentive much, yet - but enter the country 15 times and you earn a free airport transfer with Dubai taxi :)

OR you can use your accumulated E-points at any participating Spinneys for discounts on a range of locally-produced products.

- S
Stuart
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2005
Really? there is such a thing as e-miles? I never knew this. I'm owed a couple of airport transfer vouchers :)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Oct 17, 2005
interesting i didnt know about this either ..
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 19, 2005
Stuart wrote:
RobertS wrote:Please explain:
What is the difference between the stamps?Robert

If you look at your passport carefully you'll see TWO stamps. One is for 'in' and the other is for '60 days'. If you have a residencey permit they shouldn't give you the 'valid only for 60 days' stamp, which is Choco's unfortunate situation.

The other stamp is when you exit.

You can pick up an E-card at the back of the passport control hall (and probably other places too). When you get into the passport control hall hang a sharp left and look for the e-counter in the corner. More information at http://www.dnrd.gov.ae/dnrd/E-Services/ ... efault.htm

HTH - Stuart

Thank you,
This e-Card looks interesting - I am going to apply for one next month
On the stamp 'valid only for 60 days' is written in english? If yes - I don't have one ... yet

Robert
RobertS
Dubai Forum User

Oct 22, 2005
You don't _need_ a residency permit to get an E-card.

If they like your passport at the airport - and/or you convince them you travel enough to 'justify' an E-card early then they'll sort you out with one. Takes 10 minutes.

150 Dirhams / 2 years. Travelling once a month saves 2 (both ways) x 24 x 10 minutes = 480 minutes.

That means you're paying 5 Dirhams for 1/4 hour of your time.

Gotta be good?
Stuart
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2005
Stuart,
In october i had to wait at least 30mins in the line
that comes down to 1.5dhs/1/4 hour for me

In conclusion - longer the line - more you save - reminds me of Yossarian's grandfaher (or uncle I dont remember)
RobertS
Dubai Forum User

Oct 23, 2005
Robert;

Do you know how to get a season ticket for the golf carts that ferry you under the runways?

They always seem to charge me too much when I flag them down. Mebbe they're a branch of Dubai Taxi?

- Stuart
Stuart
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2005
Yikes, had know idea about this stamping blunder! What a pain!! Well, I use the egate card anyways, but i will let other people know to check their stamps carefully from now! :roll:
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 29, 2005
Stuart wrote:Robert;

Do you know how to get a season ticket for the golf carts that ferry you under the runways?

They always seem to charge me too much when I flag them down. Mebbe they're a branch of Dubai Taxi?

- Stuart

That will come free if you are pregnant, over 75, or phisycal disabled.
So wait some years or spend some time in the London subway, Ghaza, Jerusalem or Irak
RobertS
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat