How Do You React When Someone Asks You Abt Your Salary?

Topic locked
How do you react when someone asks you abt your salary? Jan 16, 2007
We all face this problem now and then....I mean...you go somewhere you meet old buddies or school teachers...and just coz u ok with each other the person blasts you asking you "How much do you earn"

I mean...thats kinda rude but what does he care =/

I had my school principle ask me this.....
I had my uncle ask me this....
I had some pretty interesting people who play important roles ask me this....

worst part is i cant lie.....it shows on my face...I mean..in the end....its always a positive or negative feedback from them...

You say i make alot...they start saying "aaah yess....dam bast**d"

You say im a poor guy...then they start giving you advice...

I guess the solution would be to try and avoid it....keep the answers very short and simple and try not to continue with the conversation....

My usuall reply would be 5+ (commision) so this way...they cant say you doing too good or doing too bad...

You have ideas to use as an excuse?

guest999

Jan 16, 2007
How about "Mind your own business." ?
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 16, 2007
As i said...they tend to be mostly uncles....school teachers...etc....

I really cant say that.
guest999

Jan 16, 2007
answer: "enough" for everyone or "not enough" (if your girlfriend/boyfriend or parents ask).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 16, 2007
i personnally believe in people's envy, so i tend to not say how much im getting or the benefits im getting from my company. If it was my direct family, i tell them.

i dont think that i would tell my future wife how much i get....although she might love me even more :lol: :lol: :lol: no offence intended ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 16, 2007
It depends who ask the question. Most of the time, i don't divulge how much i am earning whether to a family, friends or close friends. If they insists, i tell any amount that comes to my mind. I avoid telling my salary to my friends cos they'll tease me for treats. :shock:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 16, 2007
Rule of thumb: Never EVER tell a women how much you make...not even your mom or wife!

You will thank me after you reach the age of 40.
guest999

Jan 16, 2007
Just say its not that much even if you making a lot of money

or tell them less they not exactly going to check your wage slip are they

or try change the subject it works for me :)
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 16, 2007
Turn the tables - ask them "Why? What's yours?" then decide how you'll answer based on the reply.

P.S. your avatar is really giving me the creeps :x
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 16, 2007
It's impolite in most circles i know to ask that question, even of your boyfriend.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 16, 2007
scarlet wrote:It's impolite in most circles i know to ask that question, even of your boyfriend.

How much does your boyfriend earn?
^ian^

Jan 16, 2007
I dont love him for his money.

Besides you can tell a persons salary range by many other factors
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 16, 2007
scarlet wrote:I dont love him for his money.

8)

Absolutely.
^ian^

Jan 16, 2007
i never ask anybody's salary. But i dont mind if someone ask my salary.
Deniz
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 16, 2007
It`s unpolite to ask this question!!!!

It`s just my business!!!! 8)
Tropic23
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 16, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
scarlet wrote:

Absolutely.

not always...
Legendkiller
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 17, 2007
asc_26 wrote:It depends who ask the question. Most of the time, i don't divulge how much i am earning whether to a family, friends or close friends. If they insists, i tell any amount that comes to my mind. I avoid telling my salary to my friends cos they'll tease me for treats. :shock:

dito...i have been repeatedly bankcrupted for treats. NO MORE.

and i just tell them that "its personal, how can you ask me that?"...that usually works even with uncles.
cyrix
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 17, 2007
So? How much do you make? Just kidding. Just tell them it's a little too forward. They'll get all appologetic and embarassed and then you can make them feel better by saying, no worries. They'll never ask again.
giggsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 17, 2007
i really laugh at people coz if i see u i know how much u makin regardless of all the fake shit u might be wearing & yea if someone asks me how much i make i simply tell them the same amount of times u masturbate a month x 10 hahahahhaha

DON
ISH
ISH
Dubai chat master

Jan 17, 2007
Just tell them its personal
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 17, 2007
I would not mind answering this question, howrever I would not answer if the person who is asking me is a colleague of mine.
Shermin
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 17, 2007
Shermin wrote:I would not mind answering this question, howrever I would not answer if the person who is asking me is a colleague of mine.

There's only 3 people I would answer this question to:

1. A bank when applying for a loan.
2. A prospective employer - although I prefer to give them my preferred range.
3. A taxation department - such as the Australian Tax Office.

Everyone else can just go flap themselves.
^ian^

Jan 17, 2007
I think it's rude to ask this question - quite personal I guess.

I dont ask this question to anyone and if someone asks me, I politely ask them "Why do you want to know?" or just "Why?" and they get the hint that it's a question I dont wanna answer.
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 17, 2007
scarlet wrote:Besides you can tell a persons salary range by many other factors

In what way? Clothes and cars? Those don't say much generally.

Anyway, what's the big deal in telling our salaries?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 17, 2007
Personally i dont mind...but you have alot of people these days who just dont get it.

I truely have to say that life is not fair. But then again, it is, because you have the power to change the direction your going too...but then again...because we all have our limits of choice to which directions we can choose from to take.

There for...life is not fair. (oh...im going of topic here)

No comment on ur quote.
guest999

Jan 17, 2007
Concord wrote:answer: "enough" for everyone or "not enough" (if your girlfriend/boyfriend or parents ask).

+1 ..

one thing is that here you need a salary letter for everything .. and usually those are handled by office boys / secretaries and the confidentiality of such information is not really valued that much .. so you find that everyone in the office will find out how much you make without you even telling anyone ..
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 17, 2007
MaaaD wrote:
Concord wrote:answer: "enough" for everyone or "not enough" (if your girlfriend/boyfriend or parents ask).

+1 ..

one thing is that here you need a salary letter for everything .. and usually those are handled by office boys / secretaries and the confidentiality of such information is not really valued that much .. so you find that everyone in the office will find out how much you make without you even telling anyone ..

very true :)...at my old job...if you wanted dirt/information on ANYONE...you spoke to 'victor the tea boy'....this guy even had intel on upcomming company initiatives abroad.lol!
cyrix
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 17, 2007
Whenever I am asked this question, I just smile.

If its with friends, teasing will start.

If its with family, I dunno, family dont ask.

Of course if its bank or employment purposes, double the figure!
zam

Jan 17, 2007
cyrix wrote:
MaaaD wrote:

+1 ..

very true :)...at my old job...if you wanted dirt/information on ANYONE...you spoke to 'victor the tea boy'....this guy even had intel on upcomming company initiatives abroad.lol!

Usually happens for Non-professional company and weak HR department. Salary regardless of digits shouldn't be leaked to anyone. Payslips should be emailed directly to the person. If there's no system, print out should only be read by the payroll admin & sealed when handing over to employees.

For Executive and Top Management, it is usually transferred directly to their accounts. Rank and File Payroll Clerk should not handle this job.

Non-confidential salary informations create chaos among employees and departments.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 18, 2007
what do you say when people ask you "what do you do for a living"

when your not working at all :cry:
easternjewel

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat