How Do They Measure This - Really !!!

Topic locked
How do they measure this - really !!! Aug 31, 2010
The following is part of a story in Gulf News today about a Brit who was sentenced to 3 months in jail in Dubai form cursing and punching somebody.

The article goes on to state that "Prosecutors accused the Briton of causing a one per cent permanent disability to the Swede's lip and cursing him in public while he was under the influence of alcohol."

How did they measure a 1% percent disability on the victims lips??? It has to be a typo me thinks.

Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: How do they measure this - really !!! Aug 31, 2010
Well it’s unusual for the prosecutors to curse anyone! let alone a drunken Ex-Pat, but never mind, he probably won’t remember much, if anything, about it in the morning. :lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dillon wrote:Well it’s unusual for the prosecutors to curse anyone! let alone a drunken Ex-Pat, but never mind, he probably won’t remember much, if anything, about it in the morning. :lol:

uh? say that again. S - l - o - w - l - y - - t - h - i - s - - t - i - m - e
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

lol looks like dillion had a vodka himself :D

they probably measured the area of the disability with a masking tape and than measured the whole face area. so disability divided by whole "swedes" face x 100 = percentage value! there you go simple as that! 8)

they dont need to have lab results or anything!!! crickey
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Ambassador wrote:
Dillon wrote:Well it’s unusual for the prosecutors to curse anyone! let alone a drunken Ex-Pat, but never mind, he probably won’t remember much, if anything, about it in the morning. :lol:

uh? say that again. S - l - o - w - l - y - - t - h - i - s - - t - i - m - e

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Grammatical humour? My word!

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

If it was the 6'2" gobby Swede often found in Barasti's parading around in his tennis club attire then it would be calculated easily. He's already 99% braindead.

Scratcher
Scratcher
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: How do they measure this - really !!! Sep 01, 2010

Don't bother explaining it Dillon, it's over their heads.

-- Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:08 am --

Ambassador wrote:The following is part of a story in Gulf News today about a Brit who was sentenced to 3 months in jail in Dubai form cursing and punching somebody.

The article goes on to state that "Prosecutors accused the Briton of causing a one per cent permanent disability to the Swede's lip and cursing him in public while he was under the influence of alcohol."

How did they measure a 1% percent disability on the victims lips??? It has to be a typo me thinks.

This is especially for you Rudeboy. The way the piece is written suggests that the prosecutors cursed the Brit in public while he was under the influence of alcohol.
I did laugh when Bora didn't get it, but she is American and English isn't her first language, either
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:
Ambassador wrote:The following is part of a story in Gulf News today about a Brit who was sentenced to 3 months in jail in Dubai form cursing and punching somebody.

The way the piece is written suggests that the prosecutors cursed the Brit in public while he was under the influence of alcohol.
I did laugh when Bora didn't get it, but she is American and English isn't her first language, either

:shock: Over the top don't you think? There is nothing wrong with the sentence as written.
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Ambassador wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:

The way the piece is written suggests that the prosecutors cursed the Brit in public while he was under the influence of alcohol.

:shock: Over the top don't you think? There is nothing wrong with the sentence as written.

I agree, I didn't read it that way at all, it's obvious the way it's written that it was about the Brit assaulting the Swede, not sure how anyone could read it any other way. Maybe others were at the Stollie too.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Ambassador wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:

Sense of humour failure?
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:[Sense of humour failure?

No, not that. Especially when someone else's English proficiency is being question.

I'm sure they'll be plenty of opportunities for humor. I'm having a barrel of laughs already :lol: (could not find a barrel "smilie").
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

OK the technical bit;
He, Pronoun, used to refer to a male previously mentioned …

Him, Pronoun, used as the object of a verb or preposition to refer to a male previously mentioned …

Statement; “and cursing him in public while he was under the influence of alcohol.” Reads him and he, are referring to the same person?

Result; Ambiguous, Adjective, open to more than one interpretation; not having one obvious meaning.

Now, the funny bit,

This was an attempt at a humorous interpretation of the OP statement. Sadly it would appear that BM was the ONLY one who saw the funny side of my comment, I shall however not be deterred by this minor setback and persevere with my efforts to bring a little humorous diversion to the odd post every now and then. And just for the record, you'll note the 'smiley' in my original comment and I don’t like Vodka! :lol:
Dillon

You can't take it out of context like that, as it really doesn't make sense. The only other way that statment could be read, is that the Brit cursed at the Swede, whilst the Swede was under the influence. But obviously it actually means the Brit cursed, while the Brit was under the influence.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aah, I see BM was right after all, :lol:
Dillon

Dillon wrote:Aah, I see BM was right after all, :lol:

Actually no, because in no way can you read it to mean the the prosecutors cursed at the accused. Go back and re-read my post!

It's badly written though to be honest, I'd have shot whoever proof read that and approved it. But coming from Gulf News it doesn't surprise me - bunch of monkeys over there.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Morning Dillon :bounce:
Bethsmum

Chocoholic wrote:

Actually no, because in no way can you read it to mean the the prosecutors cursed at the accused. Go back and re-read my post!

It's badly written though to be honest, I'd have shot whoever proof read that and approved it. But coming from Gulf News it doesn't surprise me - bunch of monkeys over there.

whoever or whomever? 8)
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Ambassador wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

whoever or whomever? 8)

Don't split hairs lol - I've never seen 'Whomever' used.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Whomever, pronoun, formal, used instead of ‘whoever’ as the object of a verb. :lol:
Dillon

Re: How Do They Measure This - Really !!! Sep 01, 2010
Where is spellchecker girl when needed.

I will PM her about this forum, she will come in handy.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Now that the proper well spoken individuals have explained it to each other.............says alot. :)

Drew, you really need to move on. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Proper well spoken individuals? Bora, which school did you go to?

-- Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:38 pm --

drewpeacock wrote:Where is spellchecker girl when needed.

I will PM her about this forum, she will come in handy.

Yes Drew, good idea, I've always found her particularly helpful.
Bethsmum

Damn it, woman leave BB alone - I am partial to the American colonies and the natives
(oh, apart from American lawyers who by and large are total tossers, yes you know who you are ...)

Go pick on someone your own size, or do what everyone else does - lurk around and wait for UAEkid to put his hand down his nappy and start smearing cack all over himself !!! :D
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Gulf News once printed a retraction for an article about UAEKid:

"We wish to apologise to UAE Kid for the misprint in the article about him published yesterday, the sentence in question should have read 'Some people think I am a count!'."

Knight
Dubai Knight

viking-warrior wrote:Damn it, woman leave BB alone - I am partial to the American colonies and the natives
(oh, apart from American lawyers who by and large are total tossers, yes you know who you are ...)

Go pick on someone your own size, or do what everyone else does - lurk around and wait for UAEkid to put his hand down his nappy and start smearing cack all over himself !!! :D

Well there's no accounting for taste. Pick on some one my own size? I think if you read back posts twas she who started the torrent of abuse, it's just a shock for her that she's met someone who dares to stand up to the cr&p she chooses to dish out. Well me, Dillon, Drew and Choco that is. A very large chip on the shoulder of the girl from the nation who the Brits are supposed to have a special relationship with. She's special ok.
Bethsmum

viking-warrior wrote:Damn it, woman leave BB alone - I am partial to the American colonies and the natives

I need the forum upgrade app as I cant gauge the posters size by the sh!t Im currently working with.

This is unfair!

Forumers really need to know the size of fellow forumers in particular when there are Americans involved.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Exactly Drew, and I can confirm that my ar8se is not the size of two small counties.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:

Well there's no accounting for taste. Pick on some one my own size? I think if you read back posts twas she who started the torrent of abuse, it's just a shock for her that she's met someone who dares to stand up to the cr&p she chooses to dish out. Well me, Dillon, Drew and Choco that is. A very large chip on the shoulder of the girl from the nation who the Brits are supposed to have a special relationship with. She's special ok.

:lol: :lol:
Trust me Bethsmommy, this is not the first time some little one dared to pick up on her, and FYI she never lost in a fight! :lol: :lol: Chocs is well informed of this! :wink:
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Well there's always a first.
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat