How Much Social Networking Do You Do?

Topic locked
Re: How Much Social Networking Do You Do? May 23, 2011
I only recently got a FB account, only because my school was having a reunion and it was the best way to get in touch with everyone.
I thought that it would be the beginning of my FB addiction, but it never really eventuated.

benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: How much social networking do you do? May 23, 2011
No, I think people are moving away from FB a bit now to be honest.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: How Much Social Networking Do You Do? May 24, 2011
I love FB! Twitter I just can't be bothered with.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

I can't imagine doing facebook for very long, let alone sitting on twitter all day sending and reading twits.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

The beauty of FB is that you don't have to check it every day. It is just a resource for keeping in touch with people. You can use it how you like.

I think that Twitter is more time consuming. People feel compelled to Twitter about something, anything! several times a day to be interesting to their followers. I can see how Twitter can be useful in the cases of major world events, spreading the word around quickly etc., so it does have some value.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: How much social networking do you do? May 24, 2011
Bora Bora wrote:
It's funny that you mention handwritten letters. For a couple of days I thought about how much do we actually "write" - pen to paper. For the most part, the majority of the world the extent of "hand writing" is signing credit card purchases. It's those that are in school up to uni that still "hand write". Even very little is written in the work place as everyone communicates or works through a computer.

As for my networking, it's not as if the family are a few hours away. The US is a long haul!!! And friends are scattered around in the US, but it's nice to know what they are up to and to send wishes for birthdays, holidays, etc, seeing photos of occasions that I can't attend. Sending anything by post from Dubai is so unreliable and express mail is so expensive.

I know what you mean by loving privacy and quiet time. I'm not a "crowd" person. A crowd to me is more than 6 people. :lol: :lol: I had a friend today invite me to a breakfast on Thursday. Small party of 20!!! She knows how I am but invited me anyway. She respects my feelings and we agreed to meet up, just the 2 of us.

In a way I think the "social" networking is making people less social...by that I mean that there is less of an opportunity or need for face-to-face catching up since you would already know exactly what is going on in their life thru FB and their ilk..and seen the photos, etc. I prefer the meeting 'catching up' part.

I rarely, if ever, take vacation pictures and I've been to many, many, places...It is sad to see people on vacation who are e-mailing or updating their FB page with pictures of their vacation- more and more of them these days..They are not enjoying the view or scenery but just seeing it thru their cameras!

But it works for some...just not for me.
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Ambassador, have you been to a concert or anything lately where there are kids?

I've taken Beth to a few lately, and the ones where she allows me in, are filled with kids taking pictures on their mobiles or filming it. They don't seem to watch the actual cancert. It seems more like a competition to see who can update their FB status first with pictures of the event.

-- Tue May 24, 2011 9:38 am --

When I was at work yesterday I was going through my sent emails. I was looking for something I'd sent to a software comapany back in March so I had to sort them into name order. The two people I'd sent the most emails to both sit within 8 feet of me. My boss and my little mate. 1% of them would have been work orientated, 40% about sport and the rest about our work colleagues. :shock:
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Does anyone still use MySpace? Never got into that to be honest, but it seems to still be popular with bands and arty types.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat