Helpless

Topic locked
Helpless Dec 02, 2006
Today in Gulf News: One man fined Dhs. 2000 for plying his car as illegal taxi by RTA. He was taking his friend to drop him somewhere in his way to work. He showed the officials all evidences but failed to convince them. He was reffered to police but no one helped him. He then walked into RTA office and showed his one year old picture showing both the friends at some picnic spot with families but he was shown his way out by the security people and officials told him to go to court.

This is one of lot of stories of expats living in Dubai. They dont have any option if they are fined whether they are right or wrong. They have to pay it.

Cops and officials are final authority here. If they say it is day it is day dont worry even if they are claiming it in the night. You have to say yes.

abdalrasheed
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 02, 2006
Maybe you are also doing the carlift thingy? Aren't you? :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 02, 2006
asc_26 wrote:Maybe you are also doing the carlift thingy? Aren't you? :wink:

So many people are doing this, so it's difficult to seperate the honest from the dishonest. :roll:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 02, 2006
I have to admit car lift is cheaper compared to taxis and i feel safer to hire car lift because i already know the driver and somehow I am helping (I believe) the hired car lift driver augment his income.

Taxis that are not based in Dubai are very expensive. From Ajman, it will cost me Dhs.50 to Dubai airport or deira while carlift is only dhs.35/-.

But what to do, this is RTA and traffic rules. :(

I heard from a friend if caught while doing the car lift thingy, the DL will be revoked or pay the fines and pinpoint at least 10 people who are private car owners doing the car lift thingy. Really risky. Despite the risks still so many are doing the same thing especially on weekends as they don't have work to do. You can call it their part time job and extra income.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 02, 2006
well , u cant blame anyone who is doing it since life is expensive here .
Protoss
Dubai Forum User

Dec 02, 2006
I walk a bit, which is odd, because I own a car. Nevertheless, I quite often get beeped at private cars wanting to know if I want a lift. These people should be stopped.

People who are giving friends lifts to work should receive discounts on fuel and registration, not jail time and fines. They are reducing the number of cars on the road and sharing costs. This is a good thing.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 02, 2006
^ian^ wrote:People who are giving friends lifts to work should receive discounts on fuel and registration, not jail time and fines. They are reducing the number of cars on the road and sharing costs. This is a good thing.

Excellent point. If only the authorities can understand this, then we might face less traffic problems.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 02, 2006
Car pooling is the answer, a campaign should be started for everyone to enter into a car pool agreement.
The traffic problem would be seriously reduced by this.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Helpless Dec 02, 2006
abdalrasheed wrote:Today in Gulf News: One man fined Dhs. 2000 for plying his car as illegal taxi by RTA. He was taking his friend to drop him somewhere in his way to work. He showed the officials all evidences but failed to convince them. He was reffered to police but no one helped him. He then walked into RTA office and showed his one year old picture showing both the friends at some picnic spot with families but he was shown his way out by the security people and officials told him to go to court.

This is one of lot of stories of expats living in Dubai. They dont have any option if they are fined whether they are right or wrong. They have to pay it.

Cops and officials are final authority here. If they say it is day it is day dont worry even if they are claiming it in the night. You have to say yes.

This is a load of bull. The guy probably just wanted to fill his quota for the month and caught this poor guy. I mean how ridiculous is this??? I would fight it in court.

Next they'll be saying its illegal to drop your family off anywhere since it is a violation :roll:
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 02, 2006
It takes time & money as well if you'll fight this in court. :( It really depends on the person, some would really bring the matter to the court regardless of the price.

Good thing if you win the case and have it publish in the paper, at least the authorities will come to know that their system is really full of bull. Unfortunately, it does happen to people who have only enough to survive the daily hassle and the so called standard of living in dubai.

It is really unfair and guy (who got the fined) is trying to reach the officers concern but doors were shut and even challenges him to bring the matter to the court.

Civilized society settled things outside the court. In this case, me thinks NO! :(

:shock: :shock: :shock:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 06, 2006
You know what the sad reality is, I bet you'll get a better response if you report your story to one of the newspapers as opposed to going to court, Public opinion weighs very high here. Tell your buddy to try that.

If he has a picture from a year ago of them all together, this is total BS.

I'm also with Ian a little carpooling would not be a bad idea, most of the people I work with carpool.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Dec 08, 2006
Every thing is very expansive here. Going to court you have to hire a Lawer and I know lots of lawers here and their fees. In most of the cases Lawers only represent the petitioner, listens to the court verdit and convey it to the petitioner. You know here in Dubai it appears that all the Govt Deptt are trying to create situations where in more and more revenue can be generated. Trafic related Fines may have been one of top revenue generating sectors of Dubai Govt. Courts most of the times give disputed verdicts so as the complainent have to go to higher courts and contribute more to the revenue.
abdalrasheed
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 08, 2006
abdalrasheed wrote:Every thing is very expansive here. Going to court you have to hire a Lawer and I know lots of lawers here and their fees. In most of the cases Lawers only represent the petitioner, listens to the court verdit and convey it to the petitioner. You know here in Dubai it appears that all the Govt Deptt are trying to create situations where in more and more revenue can be generated. Trafic related Fines may have been one of top revenue generating sectors of Dubai Govt. Courts most of the times give disputed verdicts so as the complainent have to go to higher courts and contribute more to the revenue.

complainent?

Just like anywhere else in the world, you will find good lawyers and corrupt lawyers. The lawyers I worked for in Dubai were quite good to be honest. They would make exceptions for individuals if they did not have enough money to cover the fees, and were very good representatives. Money wasn't their main objective. But that doesnt mean all are like that unfortunately.

Your last statement was very iteresting though...any proof for the claim being made?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 08, 2006
When I came to Dubai 3 years back I was using a private Taxi coz I did not have D/License at that time and my work involved travelling all the day. So fortunately I got a private taxi. I used to pay him Dhs. 100/- plus fuel. I used that taxi for only 3 months. I met that person one month back. He was struggling to survive due to these strict rules. He tried to get a job but he can have job of Dhs. 1,200/- and in this amount he is unable to feed his family, pay school fees etc. so he left the job and again started private taxi. But due to the fear of heavy fines he is doing this very rarely so the earning is not good. Befre this private taxi business He was driving Taxi in Sharjah with the legaaly allotted taxi number for the last 27 years. But after these taxis were banned his taxi status snatched by the Govt and he was left with no option and started private taxi. this is What happened to expats here.
abdalrasheed
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 08, 2006
bushra21 wrote:
abdalrasheed wrote:Every thing is very expansive here. Going to court you have to hire a Lawer and I know lots of lawers here and their fees. In most of the cases Lawers only represent the petitioner, listens to the court verdit and convey it to the petitioner. You know here in Dubai it appears that all the Govt Deptt are trying to create situations where in more and more revenue can be generated. Trafic related Fines may have been one of top revenue generating sectors of Dubai Govt. Courts most of the times give disputed verdicts so as the complainent have to go to higher courts and contribute more to the revenue.

complainent?

Just like anywhere else in the world, you will find good lawyers and corrupt lawyers. The lawyers I worked for in Dubai were quite good to be honest. They would make exceptions for individuals if they did not have enough money to cover the fees, and were very good representatives. Money wasn't their main objective. But that doesnt mean all are like that unfortunately.

Your last statement was very iteresting though...any proof for the claim being made?

Proof? Am I in your court? yes I can provide If I have to in any court of Justice. You are right that Good Lawers are also there but they are few and not in range or contact of every person.
abdalrasheed
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 08, 2006
abdalrasheed wrote:
bushra21 wrote:

complainent?

Proof? Am I in your court? yes I can provide If I have to in any court of Justice. You are right that Good Lawers are also there but they are few and not in range or contact of every person.

I just dont like it when people make claims without substantiating them...
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 09, 2006
Every body has got his/her own opinion.

No one can convince when some one is not willing to be convinced.

You have only worked with one lawer but ..........

One should not be stick to his / her own experience.

Anyways Good Luck
abdalrasheed
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 09, 2006
abdalrasheed wrote:Every body has got his/her own opinion.

No one can convince when some one is not willing to be convinced.

You have only worked with one lawer but ..........

One should not be stick to his / her own experience.

Anyways Good Luck

I didnt say that I worked with one lawyer, it was an entire law firm...one of the biggest here in Dubai. I also know many lawyers personally- which is why I said you can find both good and bad.

I am willing to see things from your perspective if you would only substantiate your claims. Because as of now, that is all they are - claims. Once I see proof stating otherwise I will change my opinion.

Next time, do not tell me I am closed - minded. Because that is what you just did.

Someone who is not willing to prove what they said when asked is either hiding something or doesn't know what they are talking about, or is lying. Quite simple.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 09, 2006
Dubai Airport Police stoped a visitor with some 4-5 pills. These pills were homeopathic and without prescription. He was put behind bars. He was on transit on way to USA. He has green card. His Brother in law came from America and hired a Lawer Mr. Abdul Karim Bin Eid at Dhs. 20,000. He provided the lawer with all required dox like prescription duly verified by relevant ministry and attested by foreign office etc. After elapse of one week the file was not arrived at Public Prosecution. and the lawer was unable to do anything in this regard. then his Brother in Law approached the Police Office who intercepted the visitor. He said the Urine test and pills tests are awaited and if US$ 2000 are paid to him and also hire his recommended lawer then he will get all these tests very soon. The same is done. Now Mr. Rashed Bin Arab was hired and paid Dhs. 80,000. Lawer did not bothered even to the meet with the person who was in jail. He promised that he will finish the case in Public Prosecution as everything is clear and documents are in his favor. Test resuilts only reach the public prosecution in 3 months time. The lawer could not do anything in Public Prosecution as he promised. in the 4 months total period only one hearing. The person was awarded forgiveness by the ruler. In all this period if some one call lawer to do something he get angry that why you people are waisting my time it is the procedure and will take time. If we have to wait for the procedure and depend on luck then why to hire an expansive lawer. If one is paying Dhs.80000 he has no right to call him even. And yes when he changed the lawer and informed the first one about change you know what he said that no you can not do that if you want to do this you have to pay my full payment and it was done. This is my experience and what I said was based on this.
abdalrasheed
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Dec 09, 2006
Anyways Bushy I forward my apologies for hurting your feelings
abdalrasheed
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat