Help!

Topic locked
help! Apr 03, 2008
with the meager salary of 3T AED/month... hard to stretch the budget...every last week of the month is very critical.. and to top it all...SALARY IS ALWAYS DELAYED!!!

can i use this as 1 ground to terminate my contract?

mommy41
Dubai Forum User

Re: help! Apr 03, 2008
mommy41 wrote:with the meager salary of 3T AED/month... hard to stretch the budget...every last week of the month is very critical.. and to top it all...SALARY IS ALWAYS DELAYED!!!

can i use this as 1 ground to terminate my contract?

yep

get er done

you have a residence visa from them??
nismo
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 03, 2008
I have an opening for administration for 5k in Sheikh Zayed Road.
guest999

Apr 03, 2008
That's a crap salary too.
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 03, 2008
The major problems I face are…i’m new here…..literally new in Dubai… knew no one when I came here three months ago except my employer. I have an open ended contract. I gathered from this forum that I cannot transfer work because of the contract. I will have to pay my exit fee and my own airfare and be banned for 6 months or 1 year or even for life if I try to terminate my contract.

Yeah salary is bad itself…. one of my biggest mistakes …. I can make it work though…. the DELAY… I cannot!
Hard to reverse the fate right now…..
mommy41
Dubai Forum User

Apr 03, 2008
mommy41 wrote:The major problems I face are…i’m new here…..literally new in Dubai… knew no one when I came here three months ago except my employer. I have an open ended contract. I gathered from this forum that I cannot transfer work because of the contract. I will have to pay my exit fee and my own airfare and be banned for 6 months or 1 year or even for life if I try to terminate my contract.

Yeah salary is bad itself…. one of my biggest mistakes …. I can make it work though…. the DELAY… I cannot!
Hard to reverse the fate right now…..

Believe it or not, the fact that payment is late is the "good' thing about your situation. Here is why, the Employer's breach of the fundamental obligation timely pay you (in accordance with your employment contract) might give you grounds to terminate the contract without a ban. However, you would still have to give the proper notice (30 days or whatever the contract says). It would also help if you have proof of previous late payments (proof means copies of checks dated long after they were due -whathever the payment date was). The practical point is that the Employer will threaten you with a ban and will actually impose a ban on you which you will have to challenge by demonstrating that you properly terminated the employement agreement. All of this requires, time, effort and money (and that is why the Employers do it because they figure someone making 3K will not go through all the trouble).

I suggest you ask around (seeking legal counsel is probably out of the question based on your salary - expensive). You might want to simply write to the "Law Dude" on gulfnews and see what he says (probably what I've written above...). Or just do a search of "past editions" of the "ask the law" column on www.gulfnews.com (spend the time there rather than posting here...)

Good luck.

p.s. That sure is crap salary.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

mommy41 wrote:with the meager salary of 3T AED/month

I have to ask the question... if it is meagre, not good enough, and below what you call suitable... why did you take the job?
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

^ian^ wrote:

I have to ask the question... if it is meagre, not good enough, and below what you call suitable... why did you take the job?

I'll answer for her: The Employer said "Plenty to have a very comfortable life and save some money". There is a fool born every minute...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Concord wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

I'll answer for her: The Employer said "Plenty to have a very comfortable life and save some money". There is a fool born every minute...

Hopefully some of the proceeds of what we do can go to programs that prevent this kind of exploitation.
^ian^

Apr 03, 2008
didn't i say... "one of my biggest mistakes"?..... ok...need to re-iterate, stupid of me... big mistake! unlucky to be counted as one of those fools born in every minute.

at the time of offer, dollar wasn't that low.. so 3k aed…. is not at all bad when converted to our local money….. even so…what i didn't know… again, stupid of me! salary wouldn't measure-up to the food, clothing and rent here in Dubai. what’s funny though is… it does not even measure-up to the workload! too much! more than 8 hours with only 30-minute lunch break, no overtime pay!

need i say more
mommy41
Dubai Forum User

Apr 03, 2008
mommy41 wrote:didn't i say... "one of my biggest mistakes"?..... ok...need to re-iterate, stupid of me... big mistake! unlucky to be counted as one of those fools born in every minute.

at the time of offer, dollar wasn't that low.. so 3k aed…. is not at all bad when converted to our local money….. even so…what i didn't know… again, stupid of me! salary wouldn't measure-up to the food, clothing and rent here in Dubai. what’s funny though is… it does not even measure-up to the workload! too much! more than 8 hours with only 30-minute lunch break, no overtime pay!

need i say more

what the name of your employer , should hire him to recruit people for my company , one smart guy

bte whats your nationality? you a hindi or what?
nismo
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 03, 2008
no disrespect but you ignored the advice given to you last year by this forums most knowledgable advisor on employment contracts/issues( dxbsoul). He posted this :

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:32 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i agree with the above; there are sales assistants who get paid more!
look at a salary of between 4,500 and 5,500 + accomodation.
the visa issue, i'd be suspect if they asked you if it was okay for you to travel on a visit visa ... irrespective of what assurances they give.

try and check the company out on the internet and see how legitimate they are

From the details you posted DXBSOUL picked up that your then prosective employer and job as an "executive secretary" was open to question. He even told you that a shop assistant was paying more money!!

Having ignored that advice you still took the job, now you are complaining. When oh when will people learn.
arniegang

Apr 03, 2008
well... in that case... just help me pray for the redemption of my employer's soul.... one smart user alec! or should i say pray for my sanity!

hard lesson learned... whew! 14 hours a day and on call 24/7... sorry guys, i never meant for you to bear the brunt of all these work issues i have right now, but i just need to express myself somehwere.

hmmmm....i think such experience would pass as invaluable skill?

thank you all for listening..... and thank you too for the spanking!
mommy41
Dubai Forum User

Apr 03, 2008
dump off on here all you like. People will be sympathetic and try to offer advice. But the point of my post was that "you never listened or heeded that advice" in the first place.

To resolve your problem concord has given the best advice so far, he is DF's No2 employment advisor in the absense of Dxbsoul.

I hope it all works out for you for the better.
arniegang

Apr 06, 2008
I've got some real estate in Qld that you might be interested in....
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 06, 2008
qld... queensland, australia? job in the real estate? tell me
mommy41
Dubai Forum User

Apr 08, 2008
mommy41 wrote:qld... queensland, australia? job in the real estate? tell me

Man!?! You just can't wait to jump out of that cooking pot and jump straight into the fire...
admog
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 08, 2008
admog wrote:

Man!?! You just can't wait to jump out of that cooking pot and jump straight into the fire...

you think so...?
mommy41
Dubai Forum User

Apr 08, 2008
mommy41 wrote:
admog wrote:

you think so...?

Your answer says it all.
admog
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 08, 2008
Man!?! You just can't wait to jump out of that cooking pot and jump straight into the fire...[/quote]

you think so...?[/quote]

Your answer says it all.[/quote]

yeah, desperate move........
mommy41
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat