Grace Range For Over Speeding In Dubai Reduced!

Topic locked
Grace Range for Over Speeding in Dubai Reduced! Oct 19, 2009
Will it make a difference?

I doubt it...........!!!!!!!!!

Increasing the number of speed cameras didn't do much, I doubt this will have much impact!!!!

8) 8) 8)

Dubai Police Crack Down on Speeding

From November 1, trucks, buses and light vehicles such as pick-up trucks, minibuses and taxis will face severe punishment if they exceed the speed limit by 10km per hour. Other motorists have been given a grace of 20km per hour.

Dubai: The police's traffic department will come down harder on certain categories of motorists, giving them little margin to exceed the speed limit, a senior official said.

From November 1, trucks, buses and light vehicles such as pick-up trucks, minibuses and taxis will face severe punishment if they exceed the speed limit by 10km per hour, said Major General Mohammad Saif Al Zafein, Director of the Dubai Police Traffic Department.

Other motorists have been given a grace of 20km per hour.

Maj Gen Al Zafein said he had proposed a grace limit of 5km/h for trucks and taxis. However, Lieutenant-General Dahi Khalfan Tamim, Chief of Dubai Police, approved a grace limit of 10 km/h.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/traff ... g-1.516451

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 20, 2009
Every little helps.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 20, 2009
erm an how is a speed camera going to tell the difference between a truck, taxi, minibus or a regular car? Just wondering!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 20, 2009
Every number plate is associated with a vehicle type in their system so maybe thats how they are going to do it.
coolpista
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 20, 2009
but it means the camera need to flash every time (at +10kph, regardless of the car type) and then they will check the plate number & the type of car, right? well at least this will make them a bit busy.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 20, 2009
Well if they confined the trucks, minivans, buses etc to the two righthand two lanes that would solve alot of problems too.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 20, 2009
I can imagine the number of cars who will still be charged for going at 111 kph....

unofficial taxes and what not...
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 20, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:erm an how is a speed camera going to tell the difference between a truck, taxi, minibus or a regular car? Just wondering!

lol come on chocs no camera can tell the difference between a truck and a regular car. What they will do is when the person goes for the renewal of his registration at that time they will see how many fines they have and what vehicle they drive etc etc.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 20, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:erm an how is a speed camera going to tell the difference between a truck, taxi, minibus or a regular car? Just wondering!

lol come on chocs no camera can tell the difference between a truck and a regular car. What they will do is when the person goes for the renewal of his registration at that time they will see how many fines they have and what vehicle they drive etc etc.

I heard that the system is designed to read the licence plate thru a chip embedded in the license plate. If so, then it can be easily programmed to identify the vehicle type from the vehicle number registration.

Doing it manually is clearly out of the question, with the thousands of cars passing by the numerous speed cameras all over Dubai roads, every minute of the day!!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 21, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:I heard that the system is designed to read the licence plate thru a chip embedded in the license plate. If so, then it can be easily programmed to identify the vehicle type from the vehicle number registration.

Doing it manually is clearly out of the question, with the thousands of cars passing by the numerous speed cameras all over Dubai roads, every minute of the day!!!!
8) 8)

that gives an idea that maybe future radar will use RFID like salik. in fact no need to add more chip again, just use salik tag. that chip has a lot of info (or at least linked to a database) about car type, plate number, name, phone, etc in (almost) real time. that will work.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 21, 2009
xty wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:I heard that the system is designed to read the licence plate thru a chip embedded in the license plate. If so, then it can be easily programmed to identify the vehicle type from the vehicle number registration.

8) 8)

that gives an idea that maybe future radar will use RFID like salik. in fact no need to add more chip again, just use salik tag. that chip has a lot of info (or at least linked to a database) about car type, plate number, name, phone, etc in (almost) real time. that will work.

Using the Salik tag to catch and fine speeders sounds like a good idea. But they seem to be doing OK with the current system, i.e., detecting and fining all the speed limit violators (who pass by the cameras). Plus, using the Salik tag for that purpose could unnecessarily entail costly software and hardware modifications to the speed camera system.

Another problem. Not all vehicles in the UAE have Salik tags. Only those who use SZR and 2 creek bridges in Dubai!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 21, 2009
And yet again Dubai Police show their astounding lack of awareness when it comes to road safety.

This latest 'initiative' (and I use that word in it's loosest possible sense) is like putting a band-aid on a gun shot wound.

Yes, speeding is dangerous and contributes to accidents on the road. BUT, the biggest killer on Dubai's roads are the huge number of under-educated or untrained drivers.

Drivers who don't understand that keeping a minimum safe distance is important, or who don't understand that they need to indicate when they change lane. That's not even counting those drivers who daily put other people's lives at risk through sheer selfishness and some totally unwarranted sense of self importance (we all know who I mean).

Trying flashing someone to get past in South London, you'll probably get stabbed, and you'll deserve it.

Only this morning, I was driving to work when I passed a Police car, which wilfully failed to notice 5 or 6 cars driving at over 140 kmph. So seriously, this is all about reducing speeders? I really don't think so baby.
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 22, 2009
Dr Strangeglove wrote:And yet again Dubai Police show their astounding lack of awareness when it comes to road safety.

This latest 'initiative' (and I use that word in it's loosest possible sense) is like putting a band-aid on a gun shot wound.

Yes, speeding is dangerous and contributes to accidents on the road. BUT, the biggest killer on Dubai's roads are the huge number of under-educated or untrained drivers.

Drivers who don't understand that keeping a minimum safe distance is important, or who don't understand that they need to indicate when they change lane. That's not even counting those drivers who daily put other people's lives at risk through sheer selfishness and some totally unwarranted sense of self importance (we all know who I mean).

Trying flashing someone to get past in South London, you'll probably get stabbed, and you'll deserve it.

Only this morning, I was driving to work when I passed a Police car, which wilfully failed to notice 5 or 6 cars driving at over 140 kmph. So seriously, this is all about reducing speeders? I really don't think so baby.

You're right on the money, Doc!!!

Out of the many thousands of violations committed on Dubai roads everyday (and most of which are serious), I can only think of two that usually get fined: speeding and illegal parking!!!! I would like to think that's perhaps due to the insufficient number of Police patrol cars, covering the large roads network of Dubai. :?

Years ago, the Police used to chase the speeders, pull them over and fine them on the spot. But now, the Police seems to ignore the speeders, possibly relying on the speed cameras to do their work for them.

However, for some reason, speeding looks as if it’s the favorite thing to do by most drivers in Dubai, not just the egotistical few that you alluded to.

Most people here have no patience, and can’t wait to kick you out of their way, by close tailgating, by flashing or by honking. They are obsessed with wanting to be first, and ahead of the car that’s in front of them!

It’s really an amazing and sickening phenomenon -- one that I have never seen anywhere else in the world. And I have been to loads of different countries, more than I wish to remember!!!!!! :)

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 22, 2009
Classic example was the idiot who lost control on Shk Zayed road last night! Flipped over the central barrier into the path of oncoming vehicles, killed one South African, put two more and a bunch of indians in hospital all with either critical or serious injuries!

I saw the carnage and it was horrific - the vehicles were unrecognisable.

And as per usual the wanker - because I have no other words, who caused it all is the one least hurt! These people honestly make me sick - they are stupid, brainless, inconsiderate morons, who should be shot!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 22, 2009
Having interacted with such drivers, most of the issues are psychological and based on a extremely status based mindset....

Many of these people think, "I wont let a lowly Indian/expat go ahead of me or put one over me". Of course if they other driver is higher on the social ladder than him, he will back down. But their mentality is driven by their fake sense of status.

Others think "its my country's road, so I can do what I want"

Others (common with taxi/minibus drivers): We come from a fearless race, we are not afraid of roads or driving

And one very common with petrolheads and driving enthusiasts: Its ok to speed as long as one is in control, and I have been driving for X no. of years without an accident, so its ok to drive recklessly as I am a good driver.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 22, 2009
How could I forget another big cause; abuse of religious principles, mostly by followers of my religion.....

they speed,refuse to wear seatbelts and then claim "Accidents are predestined" or "Seatbelts dont protect you, God does", so its ok not to weat seatbelts
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 22, 2009
How ironic BR, because my 'religion', evolution, will slowly but surely remove these people from the gene pool (most probably via the windshield!).
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 22, 2009
Well that's a great point! As with any part of evolution it'll be survival of the fittest or in this case the smartest, with the stupid people literally wiping themselves out. Sadly in the process they'll take innocent others with them.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 22, 2009
Dr Strangeglove wrote:How ironic BR, because my 'religion', evolution, will slowly but surely remove these people from the gene pool (most probably via the windshield!).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !

I know! The topic is not really funny, to come think of it!!! But I couldn't help the laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 22, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Well that's a great point! As with any part of evolution it'll be survival of the fittest or in this case the smartest, with the stupid people literally wiping themselves out. Sadly in the process they'll take innocent others with them.

:lol: :lol: (Ditto for the note above reg. the humor!!)

I'm afraid more stupid people will keep replacing the disappearing lot, esp. in those cultures where close family inter-marrying is prevalent!!!!

:) :)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 23, 2009
If they were really worried about it they would install road speed governors. They have been on big rigs in North America for years. If they started with personal vehicles people would freak right out. It would be really easy to do since all new vehicles are computerized.
canuckbid
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 23, 2009
Well they should at least instal speed inhibitors on heavy vehicles and minibuses.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 23, 2009
canuckbid wrote:If they were really worried about it they would install road speed governors. They have been on big rigs in North America for years. If they started with personal vehicles people would freak right out. It would be really easy to do since all new vehicles are computerized.

Chocoholic wrote:Well they should at least instal speed inhibitors on heavy vehicles and minibuses.

Putting speed governors on personal cars would never become a realty here in Dubai, nor perhaps anywhere else in the world for that matter. Just imagine trying to sell a wealthy dude a Porsche or a Ferrari that can only go up to 120 km/hr!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As to commercial vehicles, it is not a bad idea, but it is not really practical here in Dubai for these reasons:

1- The speed governors would have to be set to the maximum allowable speed limit on the UAE highways, which is 120 km/hr. However, all major inter-city roads in Dubai, where most accidents occur, have speed limits of 60, 70, 80 and 100 Km/hr – thus still allowing the truck or bus driver to speed up to 120 in a 60 km/hr zone.

As such, you can see that won’t solve the problem on the Dubai arterial roads.

2- Retrofitting the existing older vehicles with speed governor chips, that are tamper-proof , would be too costly and would be met with a lot of resistance. Even asking manufacturers and dealers of new commercial vehicles to install the chip on all vehicles sold in Dubai, would also be met with a lot of resistance … because such a device would add to the cost of the new vehicle.

3- In America, putting the speed governors on long haul semi trailer trucks made sense because these vehicles are massive in size and usually haul expensive freight. In addition, these trucks are also mostly driven on long stretches of interstate freeways and highways. But here in Dubai, the situation is a lot different.

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 26, 2009
Another way of money making, has nothing to do with solving the problem IMHO

Most of the people on the road have zero awareness of the basic rules and regulations and unfortunately the police is not that into the subject as well (I have seen myself a policeman issuing a fine on a guy who bumped into a car in front that was performing a turn where no such was allowed ).

And with all this they are discussing to cut legal driving age to 16....
nuitgal
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 27, 2009
The school kids drive without a licence anyway so its better they get training, licence and insurance...
coolpista
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 27, 2009
And now the RTA is u-turning on their propsal to increase the age of driving to 21, to reducing it to 16 or 17 - are these people mad?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 27, 2009
Where did you read this? 21 is absurd... I think they are going in a direction where they want people to use public transport..... increase taxes, tolls, price of oil and vehicles...
coolpista
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 27, 2009
It was report a few weeks ago, I started a thread on it then. But seriously they have to do something about the young, wreckless drivers on the roads. Limit the cc and size of their vehicle for a probationary period for 1 year after passing their test and things like that.

You put a 17 year old behind the whell of a 2 tonne Land Cruiser or Lambo and you're asking for trouble.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 27, 2009
You can see these kiddos in Abu Hail outside the gaming shops with two and three digit plates and fancy cars... they burn rubber and dont turn off the engines while they chat on the streets for hours.
coolpista
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 27, 2009
Yeah, but like I said before, I've got no issues with them going and maiming and killing each other on the roads, it's the innocent people they take with them because they lack any kind of common sense or the necessary skills to control such vehicles. Sadly it's mostly down to mentality.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat