For Those That Do Liquor Runs....

Topic locked
For those that do liquor runs.... Aug 14, 2006
Be warned this is a bit dated but did happen to an acquaintance

Conmen blackmail alcohol buyers in Ajman
By Daniel Bardsley and Bassma Al Jandaly, Staff Reporters

GULF NEWS - 07/03/2006 12:00 AM (UAE)

Dubai: Blackmailers are targeting people buying alcohol in Ajman and demanding huge sums of money in return for not calling the police, expatriates have said.

The con artists have followed customers into Sharjah, flagged them down and asked for up to Dh10,000. Several people have reportedly handed over the cash to the men.

John Lawford, 33, a Briton, said his 60-year-old father was almost forced to give Dh4,000 to the men after he legally purchased alcohol at an outlet in Ajman.

Once he reached Sharjah, the men repeatedly flashed their headlights and made him stop by the roadside.

"They showed him a dent in their car and said he had done it, although my father's car didn't touch theirs. They said he had to pay them and if he didn't because he was in Sharjah carrying alcohol, he would have to go to prison," he said.

When Lawford's father protested he did not have Dh4,000 on him, the men said they would frogmarch him to an ATM to get the money.

"My father called me and asked me what to do. I called the police who said not to give them any money," he said.

The men, who Lawford said were "very calm" throughout, eventually left without money.

Lawford's father was buying alcohol for his departure party as he is leaving the UAE after nine years.

"These people are pulling a scam and my father was very upset by it all. He was shaking. He couldn't believe it was happening to him. He was worried this guy would be chasing him home," Lawford said.

After the incident, which happened on Thursday last week, Lawford said he and his father heard of four similar attempts to con people, mostly Westerners, with demands for Dh2,000, Dh4,000, Dh5,000 and Dh10,000. On at least two occasions those targeted handed over the money.

An official at Ajman Police told Gulf News that non-Muslims can buy alcohol for personal use only from outlets in Umm Al Quwain, Ajman, Dubai and Abu Dhabi if they have a liquor licence.

He added that non-Muslims who have legally bought alcohol are allowed to transport it for personal use only in their vehicles through any emirate, although they must not be under the influence of alcohol behind the wheel.

A Muslim found transporting alcohol could face police action, and the official said there were cases pending in which Muslims had been caught with alcohol.

fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Re: For those that do liquor runs.... Aug 14, 2006
fayz wrote:Be warned this is a bit dated but did happen to an acquaintance

Conmen blackmail alcohol buyers in Ajman
By Daniel Bardsley and Bassma Al Jandaly, Staff Reporters

GULF NEWS - 07/03/2006 12:00 AM (UAE)

Dubai: Blackmailers are targeting people buying alcohol in Ajman and demanding huge sums of money in return for not calling the police, expatriates have said.

The con artists have followed customers into Sharjah, flagged them down and asked for up to Dh10,000. Several people have reportedly handed over the cash to the men.

John Lawford, 33, a Briton, said his 60-year-old father was almost forced to give Dh4,000 to the men after he legally purchased alcohol at an outlet in Ajman.

Once he reached Sharjah, the men repeatedly flashed their headlights and made him stop by the roadside.

"They showed him a dent in their car and said he had done it, although my father's car didn't touch theirs. They said he had to pay them and if he didn't because he was in Sharjah carrying alcohol, he would have to go to prison," he said.

When Lawford's father protested he did not have Dh4,000 on him, the men said they would frogmarch him to an ATM to get the money.

"My father called me and asked me what to do. I called the police who said not to give them any money," he said.

The men, who Lawford said were "very calm" throughout, eventually left without money.

Lawford's father was buying alcohol for his departure party as he is leaving the UAE after nine years.

"These people are pulling a scam and my father was very upset by it all. He was shaking. He couldn't believe it was happening to him. He was worried this guy would be chasing him home," Lawford said.

After the incident, which happened on Thursday last week, Lawford said he and his father heard of four similar attempts to con people, mostly Westerners, with demands for Dh2,000, Dh4,000, Dh5,000 and Dh10,000. On at least two occasions those targeted handed over the money.

An official at Ajman Police told Gulf News that non-Muslims can buy alcohol for personal use only from outlets in Umm Al Quwain, Ajman, Dubai and Abu Dhabi if they have a liquor licence.

He added that non-Muslims who have legally bought alcohol are allowed to transport it for personal use only in their vehicles through any emirate, although they must not be under the influence of alcohol behind the wheel.

A Muslim found transporting alcohol could face police action, and the official said there were cases pending in which Muslims had been caught with alcohol.

The most ridiculous thing anyone can do is to go on these liquor runs.
In order to reach Dubai you have to come through Sharjah, if you are caught with liquor in your possesion (coming from Ajman or UaQ) in Sharjah you will be jailed and deported, it's as simple as that.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:
fayz wrote:An official at Ajman Police told Gulf News .....He added that non-Muslims who have legally bought alcohol are allowed to transport it for personal use only in their vehicles through any emirate, although they must not be under the influence of alcohol behind the wheel.

In order to reach Dubai you have to come through Sharjah, if you are caught with liquor in your possesion (coming from Ajman or UaQ) in Sharjah you will be jailed and deported, it's as simple as that.

Dude you didn't read what was written, if you are licensed you can transport alcohol through the emirate of Sharjah. (i thought it was illegal no matter what, i stood corrected)

Having said that i suspect most people that go there are not licensed and to add there are so many people that'll deliver to your home at competitive prices there are better ways to spend a Friday afternoon then trekking up to Ajman.

Mine is not to judge just offer some warning, I hate to see people get scammed.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

fayz wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
fayz wrote:An official at Ajman Police told Gulf News .....He added that non-Muslims who have legally bought alcohol are allowed to transport it for personal use only in their vehicles through any emirate, although they must not be under the influence of alcohol behind the wheel.

Dude you didn't read what was written, if you are licensed you can transport alcohol through the emirate of Sharjah. (i thought it was illegal no matter what, i stood corrected)

Having said that i suspect most people that go there are not licensed and to add there are so many people that'll deliver to your home at competitive prices there are better ways to spend a Friday afternoon then trekking up to Ajman.

Fayz
i guess the paranoia was warrented then...thanks to MAD driving skills...and i dont mean MAAD...lol....
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 14, 2006
Playing Devils Advocate, this is another good reason to give up drinking :wink:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

sage & onion wrote:The most ridiculous thing anyone can do is to go on these liquor runs.

I'm curious about that. Has that actually happened to anyone (apart from travelling wholesalers who sometimes advertise in the newspapers with black strips over their eyes)?
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

fayz wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

It is only legal to carry liquor in Sharjah if you have purchased it from a licensed liquor store such as A&E / MMI, you are carrying it straight from the store to your home and you are in receipt of a valid receipt showing that you have paid the 30% federal tax..
This is most certainly not the case in Ajman & UAQ.
I am not judging and I didn't think you were either, my point is that I hate to see people lose everything because of not knowing the law / facts.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sharewadi wrote:
sage & onion wrote:The most ridiculous thing anyone can do is to go on these liquor runs.

I'm curious about that. Has that actually happened to anyone (apart from travelling wholesalers who sometimes advertise in the newspapers with black strips over their eyes)?

Plenty of people have been deported for this reason, not just the travelling wholesalers.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 14, 2006
Hardly anyone purchasing from Barracuda has a licence. We normally just bomb up Emirates road and follow the signs for the Aqua Park, takes you straight there. You only pass through the industrial side of Sharjah, not the main town centre - less hassle.

I've never seen police pulling over westerners, they're more concerned about catching the people who buy to sell on afterwards or muslims buying alcohol.

CID are normally sat in the carpark of the Barracuda anyway watching who's going in and out, I see them there all the time, never had an issue.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 14, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Hardly anyone purchasing from Barracuda has a licence. We normally just bomb up Emirates road and follow the signs for the Aqua Park, takes you straight there. You only pass through the industrial side of Sharjah, not the main town centre - less hassle.

I've never seen police pulling over westerners, they're more concerned about catching the people who buy to sell on afterwards or muslims buying alcohol.

CID are normally sat in the carpark of the Barracuda anyway watching who's going in and out, I see them there all the time, never had an issue.

You know Chocs,

Nothing ever happens until it happens.

You travel back through Sharjah on the Emirates Road, the 2nd most dangerous road in the UAE, you have an accident, even minor, you have to stop and wait for the Police, Bingo, they find liquor, away you go.
I have two points here.
First, many people do not even know that this is illegal.
Second, is it really worth it?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:Plenty of people have been deported for this reason, not just the travelling wholesalers.

How many is plenty? I've not heard of even one. Ah sorry, I have heard of one. But they were deported for reasons to do with husbands and wives getting themselves mixed up, and alcohol consumption rather than transportation.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 14, 2006
Not everyone that is prosecuted and deported is reported in the local press, over the past 10 years I know of several people this has happened to.
In any case the point is, why take these kind of chances?.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 14, 2006
I also have to admit I've never heard of anyone being deported for having alcohol. Only those who're buying to sell on. Normally they just confiscate it and give you a fine or can insist on a short prison term. Again it's one of those things that's based on nationality, cirumstance etc etc.

Anyway you can buy alcohol when you come in through Sharjah airport, so the whole thing makes no sense whatsoever.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

sage & onion wrote:I am not judging and I didn't think you were either, my point is that I hate to see people lose everything because of not knowing the law / facts.

Agreed and in a place where rules to change daily it has hard to keep up, good advice Sage.

Oh and in honour of Ian's thread jacking thread, did you know it is no longer a "straight to jail" if you bounce a check? the law was changed.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Aug 14, 2006
sage & onion wrote:Not everyone that is prosecuted and deported is reported in the local press, over the past 10 years I know of several people this has happened to.
In any case the point is, why take these kind of chances?.

I realise that and ok, fair enough if you know several people. I don't.

As for why take the chance? I would imagine most residents break one law or another almost every day here. The point is you have to decide which ones you'll ignore and which ones you won't. To make that decision you need to know the likelihood of getting caught and the consequences if you are.

sage & onion wrote:you have an accident, even minor, you have to stop and wait for the Police, Bingo, they find liquor, away you go.

Yes, that's what I'd expect would happen. I've not heard of it happening though, and I've never had my car searched at a police checkpoint, or when stopped by police, or after an accident (in Sharjah).
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 14, 2006
Well you take your chance with anything I guess. But lucky for me, one of my work buddies works for Sharjah police :D
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 14, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Well you take your chance with anything I guess. But lucky for me, one of my work buddies works for Sharjah police :D

Thats great for you Chocs
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sharewadi wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Plenty of people have been deported for this reason, not just the travelling wholesalers.

How many is plenty? I've not heard of even one. Ah sorry, I have heard of one. But they were deported for reasons to do with husbands and wives getting themselves mixed up, and alcohol consumption rather than transportation.

ohhhhhhhh SW, please tell us more

:wink: :wink: :wink:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 14, 2006
I really dont see what the issue is here. My Liquor Licence cost 125 Dhs, and there are 6 outlets for me to buy in DXB.

For the sake of 125Dhs, why would anyone want to travel a fair way and with some risk to get something i can get to in 10 mins ??

:? :? :?
arniegang

Aug 14, 2006
arniegang wrote:I really dont see what the issue is here. My Liquor Licence cost 125 Dhs, and there are 6 outlets for me to buy in DXB.

For the sake of 125Dhs, why would anyone want to travel a fair way and with some risk to get something i can get to in 10 mins ??

arnie
bottle of vodka in UAQ = 20 AED,
bottle of wine (good) 50-100
lots of things are way cheaper than the MMIs in dubai
plus the range is mind boggling in barracuda...for instance the biggest bottle of HYPNOTQ i've seen in a long time...
thier wine range is really good too...
lot more choices...less taxes (30% less)...and i guess lack of better (sense) sometimes...
constantine

Aug 14, 2006
arniegang wrote:I really dont see what the issue is here. My Liquor Licence cost 125 Dhs, and there are 6 outlets for me to buy in DXB.

Because not all companies will allow their employees to get a licence. Mine won't.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 14, 2006
cons

last month i seen a case of voddy ( 12 bottles) in MMI for 250 Dhs. Case Whiskey 300 dhs. THe MMI in Karama is huge also mate

My point is really Cons, regarding the run, surely its better to do it if you want with a liquor licence than without.
arniegang

Aug 14, 2006
Then it's pointless having the outlets. The reason they're there is so thoe who cannot hold a licence can get booze.

In 3 years I've never had an issue, neither have any of my mates.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 14, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:

Because not all companies will allow their employees to get a licence. Mine won't.

good point Chocs, but if i may a caveat to this.

I am exempt because i have an "investors residence visa", but the application @ MMI only asks for details of Residency, you are not required to produce your work details or permit.

You only have to give salary amounts and the amount requested to purchase. There is no place on the form that involves the employer.
arniegang

Aug 14, 2006
arniegang wrote:cons

last month i seen a case of voddy ( 12 bottles) in MMI for 250 Dhs. Case Whiskey 300 dhs. THe MMI in Karama is huge also mate

My point is really Cons, regarding the run, surely its better to do it if you want with a liquor licence than without.

fair point...actually you know what...i know the bloke at MMI in bur dubai...and could get anything i wanted with of course a "tip" being handy...and i could and will get a liquor licence...as my side its easy peasy...but i guess if you buy a copious amount of alcohol in one go...Baracuda ends up being much more reasonable...having said that we did have a dubious looking car follow us...so this thread has been an eye opener...right!...alcohol licence here i come!...
constantine

Aug 14, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Then it's pointless having the outlets. The reason they're there is so thoe who cannot hold a licence can get booze.

In 3 years I've never had an issue, neither have any of my mates.

Chocs,

I am not disagreeing with you, but your statement is akin to saying "ohhh me and my mates drink and drive and we have never got caught."

I have to agree with SGO here really. Everything is always OK until someone gets caught, then the tears follow.

Saying i've been doing it for 3 years would be no defense.
arniegang

Aug 14, 2006
Well it's just one of those things isn't it that we just say 'only in dubai'.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 14, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Well it's just one of those things isn't it that we just say 'only in dubai'.

It really is "one of those things" in Dubai, because in most other non muslim countries we do not have the same restictions about buying and transporting booze. We have no associated risks that you have in the UAE.
arniegang

Aug 14, 2006
Well who decided to make Sharjah 'dry' anyway? It's their fault! :wink:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 14, 2006
For those of you who want to save a few dirhams per bottle of alcohol why not save money on the petrol you use to drive all the way to Ajman etc., and stop buying cigarettes. This means your alcohol bought legally in Dubai will not hurt your pocketbook :P

:wink: :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat