For Dubai Drivers In The Rain - Public Service Announcement

Topic locked
For Dubai drivers in the rain - public service announcement Dec 12, 2006
OK, coming from a country in which it pours it down most of the time it's been a shock to me as to just how bad driving in the rain is here. I know it's normally sunny 364 days of the year, but it's still no excuse for the utterely pathetic driving I've seen when it rains here. Having watched some moron crash his car on a perfectly straight piece of road with nobody around him this morning (he saw a puddle about 2cm deep, slammed his brakes on, jarred the steering wheel to the left and went straight in to a wall - luckily nothing was coming the other way) I feel obliged to at least give you some tips.

Water is natural and perfectly harmless unless it's over 10cm deep. Do not react to every small puddle as if it's hiding some 3m-deep hole underneath it - you drive the road every day so you know it's not there. Slow down (judge this, if it's a small puddle then you do not need to go through it at 5km/h as people seem to do here, you can safely do so at 40km/h in a straight line), keep your wheels straight, if need be LIGHTLY touch the brake pedal and simply drive through it. Try to follow the tracks of another car if they've just gone through it. Whatever you do, DO NOT swerve in to oncoming traffic to avoid it and do not slam the brakes on. Simple, yet baffling how many people choose the latter course of action here.

If you do find yourself skidding, steer in the direction you want the car to go and if you need to, lightly touch the brake pedal. When you feel the car grip the road again, drive normally.

There ends your driving theory test for today. Drive safely.

scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 12, 2006
Welcome to driving in Dubai. Hazard lights are the best, but, I ranted about this a while ago when we had fog, however, after looking at the FAQ's on Abu Dhabi police website, they actually tell you to put your hazard lights on! WTF.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 12, 2006
This is hilarious: taken from Abu Dhabi Police website FAQ.

Q: What is the duty of the traffic warden at the accident site?

A: The duties of the traffic warden are summarized in the following:-

- Direct the traffic flow at the accident site.

- Transport and rush the injured people to the nearest clinic or hospital.

- The instant reporting of the accident to the concerned authorities.

- Keeping the money of people and carrying out a detection prosecution and delivering it to the planner when he shows up.

- Keeping drivers and witnesses if there are any.

- Preserving the accident site and the marks left by the machineries.

Q: What dos the straight line drawn on the street men?

A: Absolutely no overtaking allowed

Q: If you chance to encounter a traffic accident and an injured person… what do you do?

A:I aid the injured person and quickly inform the traffic police.

Q: What is the first step upon crossing a road?

A: Choosing the suitable place to cross.

Q: What are the situations in which it is not permitted to use the horn, mention some of them?

A: - After midnight until the early morning.
- Places with erected signs prohibiting the use of the horn.

- At hospitals, schools, institutes, sanctuaries, or residential areas.

Q: What do the white and black colors on the sides of sidewalks denote?

A: That it is allowed to stop to pick up and drop off passengers.

Q: How do you react if you find a passer-by crossing from a pedestrian crossing zone on the main street?

A: I stop and signal to the vehicles behind me using the double signal sign.

Q: When do you keep to the right side of the roads while driving?

A: When view is unclear because of fog, soil or rain.

Q: Pedestrians have the priority to cross from a pedestrian crossing in al cases, except one, what is it?

A: Upon seeing or hearing sirens of emergency vehicles (ambulances – fire engines – police cars).

Q: During fog what conditions are to be present while driving?
A: Reducing speed and switching on both signals.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 12, 2006
yorky500 wrote:Welcome to driving in Dubai. Hazard lights are the best, but, I ranted about this a while ago when we had fog, however, after looking at the FAQ's on Abu Dhabi police website, they actually tell you to put your hazard lights on! WTF.

Yes, that was the other part of genius this morning, people driving at 100+km/h with their hazard lights on as it was a light rain!

To be fair, they're right. They're giving me a clear indication that they're a hazard on the road as they have no clue how to drive so best give them a wide berth.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 12, 2006
i still dont know why people put on the hazard lights when they are driving? gives out the wrong information
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 12, 2006
Q: If you chance to encounter a traffic accident and an injured person… what do you do?

A:I aid the injured person and quickly inform the traffic police.

WHAT !!!!
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 12, 2006
scot1870 wrote:
yorky500 wrote:Welcome to driving in Dubai. Hazard lights are the best, but, I ranted about this a while ago when we had fog, however, after looking at the FAQ's on Abu Dhabi police website, they actually tell you to put your hazard lights on! WTF.

Yes, that was the other part of genius this morning, people driving at 100+km/h with their hazard lights on as it was a light rain!

To be fair, they're right. They're giving me a clear indication that they're a hazard on the road as they have no clue how to drive so best give them a wide berth.

I think you are right scott. :roll:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 12, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
scot1870 wrote:

I think you are right scott. :roll:

Good Point. :roll:
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 12, 2006
Also a good tip would be - KEEP YOUR DISTANCE!

People are jackasses in the rain here, they absolutely have no clue, so many accidents this morning.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 12, 2006
I went thru puddles today at 140 kph. Of course, I am driving a rental right now...
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 12, 2006
gtmash wrote:I went thru puddles today at 140 kph. Of course, I am driving a rental right now...

Wow, that must have been great fun :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 12, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
gtmash wrote:I went thru puddles today at 140 kph. Of course, I am driving a rental right now...

yep
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 12, 2006
gtmash wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

yep

Now where did I leave that bag of nails...?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 13, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:
gtmash wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

yep

Now where did I leave that bag of nails...?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight

It's only a matter of knowing your limits. Anyway, I wasn't pointing out that I was driving fast in the rain. I was pointing out that a car won't get damaged by driving it thru water, which is what the original topic is. The only was to get damaged is if water enters the engine in a flood, either through the intake or through the exhaust, neither of which happens until we have a foot of rain or live in 2005-era Emaar areas.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 13, 2006
the best thing in the world is to find a deserted road and do donuts with your car, its easier to drive in the desert also when the sand is wet

good old days ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 13, 2006
Actually the original topic is how to drive safely in wet weather, something which you're not doing at all. If you're driving at 140kph on wet roads, if for some reason you have to brake suddenly, it will be like driving on ice and you'll be all over the place. People should not be speeding in perfect driving conditions, let alone when conditions are hazardous.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 13, 2006
Yes Maam :oops: :o
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 13, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Actually the original topic is how to drive safely in wet weather, something which you're not doing at all. If you're driving at 140kph on wet roads, if for some reason you have to brake suddenly, it will be like driving on ice and you'll be all over the place. People should not be speeding in perfect driving conditions, let alone when conditions are hazardous.

I am glad you know your limits. Everyone should drive within their limits. It is the best way to not have accidents.

The topic was still about people driving through puddles at 5 kph though. Would anyone like me to get into the details of hydroplaning, hydrolock, effects of different tyre widths in rain, FWD vs RWD, and defensive driving concepts?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 13, 2006
yorky500 wrote:

- Keeping the money of people and carrying out a detection prosecution and delivering it to the planner when he shows up.

I love this bit!!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 13, 2006
the_zooter wrote:
yorky500 wrote:

I love this bit!!

Question, who is the Traffic Warden?.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat