Floating Mosque

Topic locked
Floating mosque Jul 20, 2010
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Floating Mosque Jul 20, 2010
Wow its cool, where is it located?? can people pray in it?
thelast
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Floating mosque Jul 20, 2010
The site says it will be realized in 2011. A logical location would near be a palm. Its a mosque, so I am pretty sure you can also pray it.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Floating Mosque Jul 20, 2010
I just hope it wont sink :D
thelast
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Where do you leave your sandals?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dubai Knight wrote:Where do you leave your sandals?

Knight

yaaa??
thelast
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Floating mosque Jul 21, 2010
Dubai Knight wrote:Where do you leave your sandals?

Knight

Not sandals Knight, fins
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Floating Mosque Jul 21, 2010
Pretty cool stuff.

Sandals - perhaps they'll have those radio controlled toy boats ... ? ;)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

And just where are they going to build the grocery store, laundry and Balquees cafeteria?

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Floating Mosque Jul 21, 2010
Perhaps the Abra's will be adapted to something like:

:)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Will there be blacked out 4x4 boats that will pull up and beep their horns for chai and shwarma service?

Knight
Dubai Knight

Would have to be anchored very well to ensure alignment with Mecca.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Floating mosque Jul 22, 2010
Its amazing .
Good Thinking but I am sure there would be place inside to leave sandals DK.

I am happy its not a floating Mall!!!

Enough of Malls .
CHEF
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Floating mosque Jul 24, 2010
When I used to fly from Frankfurt to Riyadh on Saudia Airlines, I had noticed that all their planes had a dedicated prayers area in the back of the plane (albeit small), with a monitor showing an arrow pointing to the Qibla. The arrow keeps changing direction with the movement of the plane. The guys praying in that enclosure keep turning with the arrow in front of them as the plane turns!!!!

Interesting!!! Huh????

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Floating Mosque Jul 24, 2010
So how to we get there? is there a underwater tunnel connected to it?? if yes, that WOULD BE AWESOME!!
thelast
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Tom Jones wrote:When I used to fly from Frankfurt to Riyadh on Saudia Airlines, I had noticed that all their planes had a dedicated prayers area in the back of the plane (albeit small), with a monitor showing an arrow pointing to the Qibla. The arrow keeps changing direction with the movement of the plane. The guys praying in that enclosure keep turning with the arrow in front of them as the plane turns!!!!

Interesting!!! Huh????

8) 8)

Does anyone sell rotating prayer mats?

I see a niche in the market! Prayer mat with built in compass and rotating mechanism that guarantees accurate Qibbla no matter where you are!

I shall patent it immediately!

Eat your heart out Herve.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Floating Mosque Jul 24, 2010
^Good thinking batman - let me know if you need any venture capital! ;)

TJ - I wonder how that would work when they have space tourism - with a plane in orbit, you'd need to have turntable to constantly face Mecca! Although once we've got inter-planetary travel, we'd just need to face earth.

:)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Tom Jones wrote:When I used to fly from Frankfurt to Riyadh on Saudia Airlines, I had noticed that all their planes had a dedicated prayers area in the back of the plane (albeit small), with a monitor showing an arrow pointing to the Qibla. The arrow keeps changing direction with the movement of the plane. The guys praying in that enclosure keep turning with the arrow in front of them as the plane turns!!!!

Interesting!!! Huh????

8) 8)

Yes, I can imagine the gym in the toilet, Muslims can't take a shit facing or turning their ass to the Qibla, and the toilet can't rotate like the arrow in the praying area.
capsicum
BANNED

Re: Floating mosque Jul 25, 2010
Indeed Shafique, I can see why space travel would pose a big challenge for Muslims!!!:

- Being suspended and floating in zero gravity, you cannot remain stationary facing Mecca during prayers.

- In such a state, how do you also make the rukko'o (bowing) and the sujood (prostrating)???

- How do you make your ablution with scarcity of water and reduced bodily coordination??

- How do you determine prayer times?

- How do you determine fasting times in Ramadan?

-Etc....

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Tom Jones wrote:Indeed Shafique, I can see why space travel would pose a big challenge for Muslims!!!:

- Being suspended and floating in zero gravity, you cannot remain stationary facing Mecca during prayers.

- In such a state, how do you also make the rukko'o (bowing) and the sujood (prostrating)???

- How do you make your ablution with scarcity of water and reduced bodily coordination??

- How do you determine prayer times?

- How do you determine fasting times in Ramadan?

-Etc....

8) 8)

Gotta be crap if you are in orbit around the moon during Ramadan...you would NEVER eat!

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Floating Mosque Jul 25, 2010
Good questions TJ - interestingly there have already been a number of Muslims in space already, the first was a Saudi Prince back in 85, the latest a Malaysian just a few years ago.

Fasting times - not an issue, you go by the rules that apply in areas where the sun doesn't rise or set completely (arctic and antarctic circles during the heights of winter and summer) - in those areas you just go by a set time, not by the rising and setting of the sun.

Abulution, also not a problem - if water is unavailable or scarce, we can ritually perform abulution by using dust (in practice you just place your palms on some dusty surface and wipe face, arms etc)

Prayer times - again you'd have to go by a clock and perhaps go by the timings of a place on earth.

Postures in prayers - you can pray sitting down, or even lying down, if one can't stand - so this takes care of that if it is impossible to do the postures in zero gravity.

At the end of the day though - the prayers are meditations, food for the soul. So indeed whilst the logistics of being in space pose interesting questions, they aren't that insurmountable as intentions are what really matter (according to Islamic theology).

But still very interesting questions. I'm not sure what the Muslim astronauts did in regards to the above.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Velcro on their knees?

Of course they can get around the fasting thing as they are 'travelling' (at 17,000 mph!) however I wonder if the space food in the squeezy tubes was halal?

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:

I see a niche in the market! Prayer mat with built in compass and rotating mechanism that guarantees accurate Qibbla no matter where you are!

Knight

What do you mean eat my heart out Knight, what do prayer mats have anything to do with me?
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

herve wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight

What do you mean eat my heart out Knight, what do prayer mats have anything to do with me?

Because I will make a million and be out of here!
(does Dr. Evil little finger thing and laughs evilly...)

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat