First Day Under Salik Road Toll.....

Topic locked
First Day Under Salik Road Toll..... Jul 01, 2007
so who are the lucky ones ,.... plz share your experience, i really really wanna know what happend (besides being ripped off of 4 dirhams :wink: )
did it really help in smooth flow of traffic? :roll: .. anywayz its vacation time for many so there wont b much traffic :!:

nadiadubai
Dubai Forum User

Jul 01, 2007
Its still 3:27am

You'll hear all about soon

Cheers,

D
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Jul 01, 2007
lol :lol: smartd i know just posting b4 i fall a sleep..... cauz i got no work :wink:
nadiadubai
Dubai Forum User

Jul 01, 2007
lucky or unlucky you depending on how you look at it

Cheers,

D
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Jul 01, 2007
I am not affected by Salik as i travel form rigga to Bur Dubai. Was expecting the maktoum bridge to be blocked but it was empty :) had left a bit early to cope with the traffic.The exit leading to SZR was like a friday afternoon :shock: . A collegue coming from sharjah said the Dubai Sharjah road was never so smooth to travel, he left at 6 35 from king faizal and reached Bur dubai at 7 10.

Guess its the combination of vacations, and people leaving early to avoid traffic, leading to this. The real test will be in the evening when returning to rigga at around 8 pm. will report about the same tomorrow.

Cheers

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 01, 2007
I just drove thru the toll gate without a tag. The rental company did not get the tag to me on time so its their problem. I will continue driving thru it until they get me the tag. I warned them this could happened so they'll be stuck with all the fines - at least two per day! Traffic slowed down on the exit before and at the gate but only slightly (7 am).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 01, 2007
I am a new member in this forum. I would like to say hi to everyone.

With regards to Salik Toll System, I went through Garhoud bridge for the first time today with the Salik sticker on my windshield. Apparently, I haven't recieved any SMS. I went to a Emarat petrol station where I purchased my Salik from and they told me you will recieve an SMS once you got around 30 Dhs in the account. My question is how am I supposed to know if my 4 dhs has been deducted when I went on Garhoud bridge today or Will I recieve the SMS the same time when I crossed Gargoud bridge.
joydude630
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 01, 2007
Concord wrote:I just drove thru the toll gate without a tag. The rental company did not get the tag to me on time so its their problem. I will continue driving thru it until they get me the tag. I warned them this could happened so they'll be stuck with all the fines - at least two per day! Traffic slowed down on the exit before and at the gate but only slightly (7 am).

I havent got mine from the rental company as well. My initial thought was to avoid the SZR if I can but now that I know what you are doing, I will follow suit. Well .. I have been asking my rental company since 2 weeks ago.
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Jul 01, 2007
I have yet to buy a tag. Not that I need it desperately.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 01, 2007
gtmash wrote:I have yet to buy a tag. Not that I need it desperately.

Hey there....do you have any idea about the SMS regarding salik?
joydude630
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 01, 2007
i think you can check it at http://www.salik.ae/english/
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 01, 2007
Jeevan wrote:i think you can check it at http://www.salik.ae/english/

I went through this salik site before registering myself on this forum. But it does not give information that they will send a SMS once you go through the toll gate. The reason I am asking this is I want to know whether my Salik is activated. I tried calling the number given on the website and its always busy.
joydude630
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 01, 2007

I went through this salik site before registering myself on this forum. But it does not give information that they will send a SMS once you go through the toll gate. The reason I am asking this is I want to know whether my Salik is activated. I tried calling the number given on the website and its always busy.
joydude630
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 01, 2007

joydude630
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 01, 2007
Sorry for the double post.
joydude630
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 01, 2007
The RTA have been saying don't worry about not receiving the text message, card is automatically activated. RTA also say you can check accounts online but good luck trying to find that part of their website :? .

Sounds like roads except for SZR are chaotic now... more Salik information.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 01, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:
Concord wrote:I just drove thru the toll gate without a tag. The rental company did not get the tag to me on time so its their problem. I will continue driving thru it until they get me the tag. I warned them this could happened so they'll be stuck with all the fines - at least two per day! Traffic slowed down on the exit before and at the gate but only slightly (7 am).

I havent got mine from the rental company as well. My initial thought was to avoid the SZR if I can but now that I know what you are doing, I will follow suit. Well .. I have been asking my rental company since 2 weeks ago.

I never encourage anyone to heed my free advice. Paid advice: yes.

You should call the rental car company and get confirmation that they will be responsible for any "fines" until they install the tag in your car, etc.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 01, 2007
took me an extra 20-30 minutes to get to Media City. I live in Safa and all the other alternative routes were packed.

first time i have seen SZR so empty in years.

also, i would like to ask that all the Hummers get off the roads.

thank you.
linahdinah
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 01, 2007
joydude630 wrote:
gtmash wrote:I have yet to buy a tag. Not that I need it desperately.

Hey there....do you have any idea about the SMS regarding salik?

My father got the tag two weeks ago. He got the SMS two days ago.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 01, 2007
linahdinah wrote:took me an extra 20-30 minutes to get to Media City. I live in Safa and all the other alternative routes were packed.

thank you.

Which route did you take?
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 01, 2007
I just went out for a quick jaunt from Karama to Ras Al Khor via the filter at Wafi City interchange. All hell broke loose over there, at 10 am when that place is supposed to be free-flowing. EVERYONE was trying to use the Wafi interchange and Zabeel road to get to Maktoum Bridge, and now this situation will be at all hours of the day instead of just rush hour.

I think I will avoid crossing the creek for the rest of my life now (or until I get kicked out).
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 01, 2007
gtmash wrote:I just went out for a quick jaunt from Karama to Ras Al Khor via the filter at Wafi City interchange. All hell broke loose over there, at 10 am when that place is free-flowing. EVERYONE was trying to use the Wafi interchange and Zabeel road to get to Maktoum Bridge, and now this situation will be at all hours of the day instead of just rush hour.

I think I will avoid crossing the creek for the rest of my life now (or until I get kicked out).

I have to cross it twice everyday :? so the only option is look for a job on same side of the creek or put up a bed in the office
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 01, 2007
Jeevan wrote:
linahdinah wrote:took me an extra 20-30 minutes to get to Media City. I live in Safa and all the other alternative routes were packed.

thank you.

Which route did you take?

gah. my knowledge of roads is not that great....we took the exit before the toll and passed the Madinat....
linahdinah
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 01, 2007
my friend has rented a car from sharjah and when she called the company, the manager told her they wouldnt be buying any salik tags at the moment because it is an expense affair as they have a fleet of 300+ cars in all their branches ..so she should avoid those routes for now.
nadiadubai
Dubai Forum User

Jul 01, 2007
Concord wrote:
BabyDoll wrote:

I never encourage anyone to heed my free advice. Paid advice: yes.

You should call the rental car company and get confirmation that they will be responsible for any "fines" until they install the tag in your car, etc.

Encourage or not its been done :lol: Anyway following my earlier post, my rental company rang me and told me that they have given a grace period of (certain) days so if I need to cruise down SZR, I still can and I do not need to pay any fine... yay
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Jul 01, 2007
joydude630 wrote:My question is how am I supposed to know if my 4 dhs has been deducted when I went on Garhoud bridge today or Will I recieve the SMS the same time when I crossed Gargoud bridge.

The customer login section appeared on the Salik website today where you can see a record of all the toll charges. You'll need to wait for the SMS with your PIN number though to log in.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 01, 2007
Like the good lad that I am, I purchased my Salik tag 2 weeks ago, to date I have not received any SMS.

This morning, I was actually forced to use the Salik gate at MoE, or face endless traffic going the normal route.

To be perfectly honest this has not served to ease congestion at all, it has instead created chaos on many of the minor/residential roads.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 02, 2007
My university is in Jumeirah, and cooincidently the last FREE exit before Slik is the one I've been using for 2 years without any issues whatsoever with traffic, but yesterday? The SZR was fine, but once I reached the fourth interchange where I usually turn right, I had to wait for 15-20 minutes because of all the cars avoiding the Salik... A friend of mine lives in the Greens, a usually quiet area, yesterday it was flooded with cars and it took him aprox. an hour to get to his office on the other side of SZR... Salik is the biggest rip-off this city has seen so far...

p.s. was funny to see other drivers and passengers tryin to check out whether other cars have the tag or not :D
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 02, 2007
Hi, just some food for thought..

Todays papers are all screaming about how SZR is now a dream to drive on, and how Salik has actually made a difference to Dubai traffic.

Also, Thursday was the last working day for a large number of schools, which every year means a 2 month period of slightly lighter traffic.

Putting both together, I would say that Sunday's better traffic situation was also because of the fact that there were fewer cars on the road, and not only because people didn't want to cough up the 4 bucks per gate.

So, assuming people get their cards all activated in a month or less, and all the regular road users etc. are back in action by the end of summer, can we expect things to be more or less as they were, just more expensive? Can be sure all school buses will use SZR coz they don't have to pay the toll anyway.

Oh yeah, and I live in AUH.. :D
avkurian
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 02, 2007
avkurian wrote: Can be sure all school buses will use SZR coz they don't have to pay the toll anyway.

What :shock: :shock: No toll :shock: I think they should charge them a toll per kid to keep them off the road.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat