I Am Exasperated

Topic locked
I am exasperated Sep 07, 2008
I've been in Dubai for a long time now; I work for a bank.

And I just love to read. Okay, guys, I know this is not the right place to talk about this, but the Book Reviews Forum seems to be dead.

It seems that nobody else in this city likes to read. I mean, sure, there are so many people who I come across who would 'just love to read' if only they had more time on their hands. There are so many others who have just read a book or two from the Potter series and consider themselves bibliophiles. There are yet others who seem to be slogging through a Stephanie Meyer or Margaret Atwood book for the past decade or so. Please don't even mention 'The Kite Runner.'

I mean, come on, guys ! Are there real avid and voracious readers out there in Dubai ? People who consider reading a very important part of their lives and devote a substantial amount of time to it everyday, maybe even at the expense of their social lives ?

Does everyone think that clubbing and partying is the best way to spend the weekend ? What about curling up with a great new novel from your favourite author ?

Are there people out there, who, when asked about their favourite book, actually ask you to specify the genre first ?

If there are, then they seem to be harder to find than locating a bunch of little green men from Mars among us earthlings.

If you guys are out there, please show yourselves. Maybe we could start a new Forum and discuss books to our hearts' content.

ghazali
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 07, 2008
There's a book reviews forum?
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 07, 2008
See, Scarlet, that's exactly my point. The Book Reviews Forum has faded into oblivion, simply because there aren't members promoting it.

All right, people, what you got to say about my post ? Anybody ?
ghazali
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 07, 2008
Dude time is changing !

Most people out here prefer partying than reading ! I know it sucks but we cant deny the trends are changing .

I do read a bit but I am more into writing !

Well Starting a forum on reading is surely a nice idea !

I could help you with that ! I could provide you with a sub forum at www.dxbudnerground.com/fdir

PM if your interested !
dude91x
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 07, 2008
Dude91x, thank you for your offer. But I am not looking for a place on the net to start a book reviews forum, I could start scores of web sites on a variety of different places on the net: on a bulletin board like here, on an independent site, maybe through a blog, or via an e-mail group.

To find space on the net is not an issue; finding genuine readers is.
ghazali
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 07, 2008
Any truly avid readers out there ? People who spend most of their free time reading ? People who think that there is more to life than a social life ? People whose idea of fun is not a night out but finishing up one novel and starting another on the same weekend ?
ghazali
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 07, 2008
yerp true .....any one mite give u space !

My site is relatively new and its growing on a decent pace .

You could benefit on the traffic i get `!

all up to you !
dude91x
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 07, 2008
Assalamu alaykum

Hey Ghazali I am here :D truhly avid reader as u said!

I spend all my free time reading books or articles on websites. But in my Bosnian language. :oops:

I am not so familiar with English but I am working on it. To understand it more and to improve it inshaallah soon that is one of my goals.

During last few years I am reading more about psychology, education, children education and islamic books. But during war in my country I red even Marx and bloshevism LOOOOOOOOL Anything what came into my hands :lol:
And also half of library in my town :D

But what I am interested for now is to learn Arabic and English to be able to read moreeeee inshaallah. Anyone there who want teach me Arabic :?: :lol: :lol:
Shamoosa
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 14, 2008
scarlet wrote:There's a book reviews forum?

Ditto :shock: .

People probably look at the Amazon.com reviews.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 14, 2008
Er...yeah, I read. A lot.

A good paperback costs the same as a trip to the cinema and they tend to last longer than the special effect jammed, over produced, under intellectualised, Hollywood profiled mindless drivel on the screen.

Which probably started life as a good book anyway...

And at least they are recyclable and bio-degradable!

Here's to the worms of the world!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 14, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:the special effect jammed, over produced, under intellectualised, Hollywood profiled mindless drivel on the screen.

But apart from that, I love a good movie ;)
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 14, 2008
bonk wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:the special effect jammed, over produced, under intellectualised, Hollywood profiled mindless drivel on the screen.

But apart from that, I love a good movie ;)

Not that many of them around these days. The Dark Knight was worthy aminly for the acting skills of the chief proponents, however I look down the listings and see nothing that inspires. The little man with the suitcase full of dodgy DVD's keeps appearing and disappearing with no more dosh in his dish dash as well.

Ho hum, suppose I had better read another book...

If anyone is a fan of classic SciFi, check out the Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison. Entertainment and humour at its best!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Bookeyes Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 17, 2008
I read different kinds of books and Emarat is making a lot of money out of me!! hahahahha That's the only shop open when I leave the office and I have the habit of buying 3 books when I passby the gas station regardless of what that book is...

....but I read diagonally! :study:
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 23, 2008
what you mean by reading diagonaly? you dont have glasses? ;-)
Passe-Partout
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 23, 2008
Hahahaha :) Good question.

It's the expression I use to describe my way of reading:

I don't read word by word, I read diagonally as if I am scanning the book, getting the message (without dwelling to details) and moving forward. And so I get the whole story, got the logic, message, etc....but would definitely not be able to re-tell the story the way it's written. I would remember only the climax though. Hahahahaha :)
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 23, 2008
Thats cool, i wondered how people finished books in under two days!

Personally i love a good read. But thats on the bus on my way to Canary Wharf. When we move over there I dont expect to have the commute time as i will be driving!?!?

I would be happy to share my thoughts on recent novels though...
seardarren
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 23, 2008
With the traffic especially on Sheikh Zayed Road, you would be able to drive and read!! Hahaha :lol: I'm kidding.

I've seen one by the way, reading newspaper! I took photo of him as I have the habit of bringing my camera so I can play in traffic.

Which novels are your faves? When are you moving here?
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat