Everything Closed On Fridays?

Topic locked
Everything closed on Fridays? Sep 28, 2007
Is it normal practice that the town shuts down on friday or is it just during ramadan? I've been trying to call around for apartments and cars and can't get an answer from any business.

hcaleman
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Everything closed on Fridays? Sep 28, 2007
hcaleman wrote:Is it normal practice that the town shuts down on friday or is it just during ramadan? I've been trying to call around for apartments and cars and can't get an answer from any business.

You must be quite new in town.

Most Business establishments do not open on Friday as it is considered the weekend.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 28, 2007
Yeah, just moved here last weekend. Trying to start looking for a place to live and a car. Guess I can't count on being productive on my weekends. Businesses like this closed on the weekend just baffles me.
hcaleman
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 28, 2007
hcaleman wrote:Yeah, just moved here last weekend. Trying to start looking for a place to live and a car. Guess I can't count on being productive on my weekends. Businesses like this closed on the weekend just baffles me.

Some of us need to rest a little after a hard day at the office :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 28, 2007
ha. The idea of car salespeople not trying to stalk people when they have the post free time. I guess thats why everything is open so late. Do things open on Saturday, or same deal?
hcaleman
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 28, 2007
I am confuused by this!!

If the general population of Dubai work Sunday - Thursday and have Friday and Saturday as their weekend..... why are the showrooms not open when the public are available to shop!!

Just think how much more money these businesses would make if they were open when... it is convenient for the consummer to buy!!

Or am I just being crazy!! :shock:
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 28, 2007
You're obviously crazy.
hcaleman
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 28, 2007
Think we have just stubbled upon a 'crazy' business opportunity!!

An Estate Agency and Car showroom that opens when the customer has the time to buy!!

Is anyone likely to make a decision about buying a car or home.... after work?? Ummmmm!!
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 28, 2007
The only thing I ever want to do after work is get a drink and take my noose off (or loosen it at the very least).

This really screwed my grand plans for the day, damn it. Emirates mall all shut down on friday as wel?
hcaleman
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 28, 2007
hcaleman wrote:ha. The idea of car salespeople not trying to stalk people when they have the post free time. I guess thats why everything is open so late. Do things open on Saturday, or same deal?

You will find Car showrooms open in the afternoon or possibly evening due to Ramadan.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 28, 2007
Shopping malls etc will be open, and there are some car dealers on SZR open as well, Honda is open on Fridays I'm sure others are as well.

All car places, etc are open on Saturday.

i'm not sure the exact Friday Ramadhan hours for MOE but I think it is something like 2pm - 3am, things open a bit later and stay open later during Ramadhan for shopping centers

The plus is yesterday at 10:30pm I was able to pay my phone bill at the Etisalat office :lol: yes sadly I have no life.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 28, 2007
Oooo etisalat. Sounds fun. Actually I need to head to an etisalat office, I can't figure out how to set up push email on my phone or even get a connection to the web via the thing no matter what I do.
hcaleman
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 28, 2007
do you remember the big hoo-har when the uk wanted to open on sunday for business. everyone said no no, day of rest etc. then after the controversy, it has now become another saturday with alot of business and money made.

except here, of course, they take their holy days ALOT more seriously!
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 28, 2007
hcaleman wrote:Oooo etisalat. Sounds fun. Actually I need to head to an etisalat office, I can't figure out how to set up push email on my phone or even get a connection to the web via the thing no matter what I do.

Hehe, good luck with that.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 28, 2007
let me guess, push email not supported by their archaic network?
hcaleman
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 28, 2007
Malls are open on Fridays and Saturdays. But food stores only open during iftaar, around 6PMish. And yes, some car dealers are open on Fridays.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2007
more annoyances. Called around to try and rent a car for a week or two so I can have some independent transport. Can't do it without my passport. Don't have my passport though since my company submitted it for the visa process last week.

Ugh. I'm tired of taking taxis everywhere, I hate taxis. It's not like I can say, hey driver just take me for a spin so I can look around. Can't wait to finalize all this relocation stuff and just get settled already.
hcaleman
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 28, 2007
hcaleman wrote:more annoyances. Called around to try and rent a car for a week or two so I can have some independent transport. Can't do it without my passport. Don't have my passport though since my company submitted it for the visa process last week.

Ugh. I'm tired of taking taxis everywhere, I hate taxis. It's not like I can say, hey driver just take me for a spin so I can look around. Can't wait to finalize all this relocation stuff and just get settled already.

Do you like anything so far?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 28, 2007
City is nice from everything I've seen, just wish my HR department thought some of these practicalities over before rushing me here.

I think I need to go skiing to work off some energy.
hcaleman
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 28, 2007
hcaleman wrote:City is nice from everything I've seen, just wish my HR department thought some of these practicalities over before rushing me here.

I think I need to go skiing to work off some energy.

Well we all have to go through it, just relax and enjoy the ride.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 28, 2007
Yeah, guess I'm just anxious to get out an explore. I always do that when I'm in a new place, drive around for hours in any which direction just getting a map in my head and get a feel for things.
hcaleman
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 30, 2007
hcaleman you can hire a private driver for the day and drive around in a luxurious lexus. Just call a limo company - should cost around 200Aed for a couple of hours
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 30, 2007
PS that was not meant to sound sarcastic
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 30, 2007
scarlet wrote:PS that was not meant to sound sarcastic

And there was me thinking you were serious :wink:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 30, 2007
a taxi for half a day is only around 200/250dhs as well
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 30, 2007
During ramadan they will all open up around Iftar time, once people have broken their fast, then the malls are open till at least midnight.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 30, 2007
During ramadan they will all open up around Iftar time, once people have broken their fast, then the malls are open till at least midnight.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 01, 2007
speaking of ramadan, any iftar spots to recommend, or would that be taboo (i'm honestly clueless)? I have yet to really try to venture into one and have not really had any regional food yet (well, lebanese). There are actually only one or two muslims in my office here, don't want to seem like a patronizing tourist with a "hey can you take me to your arabic celebration" type comment.
hcaleman
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 01, 2007
hcaleman wrote:more annoyances. Called around to try and rent a car for a week or two so I can have some independent transport. Can't do it without my passport. Don't have my passport though since my company submitted it for the visa process last week.

We just organised a rental for a friend before she decides to buy and we did not need a passport....try Asia Car Rentals at the airport.
Lou
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat