Envy And Gratefulness

Envy and gratefulness Apr 29, 2020
Abu Huraira reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Beware of envy, for it devours good deeds just as fire devours wood or grass.”

Source: Sunan Abī Dāwūd 4903 - Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Suyuti

However you are stuck in your life, and as much as you're struggling and battling for basic needs, there will always be someone to envy you.
You may be the biggest loser and unsatisfied with your life and your place in it ... but even on the suffering some people would be envious.

You will be unsatisfied with the prospect of raising your children for example, but since you have them, people will envy you.
You might complain for a home without a balcony or garden, but people will envy your spacious rooms and a nice view.

It seems that we have to look more at our blessings then our aspirations and be grateful.
While we are occupied with aspirations and neglecting blessings people find their ways to ruin blessings with their evil envy.

It happens to me many times; when posted pictures of kids on social media, the very next day they would break some bone, suddenly fall down on a flat surface and be injured so much as if they were battling for a half day... or they would finish in hospital for some reason.

Seeing that happening on a regular basics I reduced my 1600 online friends to family and close friends only. The number dropped down to 150 persons.
But then things would happen again.

At that point I had both friends and family members messaged and spoke about their private lives.
Then I found out some friend of the school never had children and wanted them too badly. One was trapped in abusive marriage and wanted to be free like me, a member of my family wanted to be in Dubai, another friend always dreamed of being sporty but never took a chance and never started anything, saying that people would laugh at her even if she tried to sit on a bike and not talking about anything more serious then that.
And just as much as I was struggling with tuition payments for my children, one of my friends was so envious that they were even studying and that I even had a family member who could help. As she said she doesn't even have anyone to support...

So I closed all social media accounts. Somehow now I think that if you want to succeed in anything you have to take your family and friends out of your daily life. As they're always going to drug you into comfort zone, to their point, to their benefit.

I can't even imagine those hearts that would not wish to others what they want to themselves.
How can anyone pray and practice religion and keep envy and jealousy in the heart :(
As per above mentioned Hadith that sickness in the heart will annul deeds and prayers.

The most important thing on this world is to keep the heart free of envy, jealousy, malice, hatred etc. Simply; to keep it clean. And soul as well.
Allah said in Qur'an: "He has succeeded who purifies it (soul)".

And in the midst of struggles we also have to see more blessings in everyday life. If others can see them, then we must as well! And we shall be grateful for all the blessings which we have.

At the end who knows more about the envy and jealousy than Dubai. Those who have no hopes, no aspirations, no desire for success ... they just envy to those who have it, who put their energy and work hard on themselves and their conditions, and choose whatever opportunities come. Like the people of Dubai do.

Alhamdulillah we are fortunate to be Dubai and UAE residents and because we live here we have also changed.

We shall keep in touch with family and friends but not encourage them to compare their life with ours on daily basis. It is only parents that we can fully trust.
As for what we think it is a matter to complain for, our families will see as ideal circumstances and a place for joy and relaxation. And we always want more and aspire for more.
We have to, because the City is rising, so we must follow. In that lively part of the world we can not remain stagnant.
And that's blessing too. Alhamdulillah

Shamoosa
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat