England Vs. USA ----

Topic locked
England vs. USA ---- Jun 13, 2010
I'm not a football (AKA soccer) fan, but I did watch the game.

I'm a bit surprised not to see a posting from one of England's supporters, but then again, there really isn't anything to praise about England's game.

I will start off by asking: was that football or headball??

It was an absolutely boring game.

England went in playing "their" game while the USA went in looking like they were trying to figure out what England's game was. Hence, first goal within the first 4 minutes!!!!

Green, well what is there to say?? He did redeem himself somewhat with the help of the post. :lol:

USA goalie was damn good. He was like a brick wall.

England's coach was just horrible!!! Great motivator for his players wouldn't you say? I have to admit, I did feel for the team because his negative reaction definitely had to affect the team.

Bekham. So he gets paid this huge amount of money by the US, to do what? Cheer on England? He looked absolutely horrible. Victoria should pay a bit more attention to his style and clean him up. He looked like he was hung over and a bit neglected overall. :P

Soccer is not an American sport. They should stick to football. :lol:

Looking forward to Algeria playing. They have mastered playing dirty. Hope they get a whooping. :lol:

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: England vs. USA ---- Jun 13, 2010
It is rather lucky that USA were gifted a point by a stupid fumble on behalf of the Goalkeeper, that will probably end his days with England.

Beckham gets paid by LA Galaxy for playing football, not the "USA", he is still English.

The name of the game is Football, the word wrongly used in the USA bears no relation to this, however I see no reason why the USA shouldn't have a team, they seemed to have a reasonable grasp of how to play the game.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:It is rather lucky that USA were gifted a point by a stupid fumble on behalf of the Goalkeeper, that will probably end his days with England.

Beckham gets paid by LA Galaxy for playing football, not the "USA", he is still English.

The name of the game is Football, the word wrongly used in the USA bears no relation to this, however I see no reason why the USA shouldn't have a team, they seemed to have a reasonable grasp of how to play the game.

What was greater: luck or a stupid fumble??? :lol:

LA = USA = dollars not pounds. I'm sure you know what I meant. Yes, he does get paid to play, but when will that happen??? Oh, I forgot - he had an injury.

I know its called football everywhere else in the world, except the US!!! :lol: You say (phonetically) toeMAtoe, we say toeMAYtoe. We call a cigarette a cigarette, you call it a fag. At the end of the day it's the same thing isn't it?

Sage, in the US Americans don't "grow" up playing soccer (and I say soccer because football in the US is a different game), whereas in so many countries boys start playing at a very young age. In the states its (our) football, baseball and basketball that young boys grow up with. It is not a big sport in the US and I don't think it ever will be.

-- Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:56 pm --

sage & onion wrote:It is rather lucky that USA were gifted a point by a stupid fumble on behalf of the Goalkeeper, that will probably end his days with England.

What was greater: luck or a stupid fumble??? :lol:

LA = USA = dollars not pounds. I'm sure you know what I meant. Yes, he does get paid to play, but when will that happen??? Oh, I forgot - he had an injury.

I know its called football everywhere else in the world, except the US!!! :lol: You say (phonetically) toeMAtoe, we say toeMAYtoe. We call a cigarette a cigarette, you call it a fag. At the end of the day it's the same thing isn't it?

Sage, in the US Americans don't "grow" up playing soccer (and I say soccer because football in the US is a different game), whereas in so many countries boys start playing at a very young age. In the states its (our) football, baseball and basketball that young boys grow up with. It is not a big sport in the US and I don't think it ever will be.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Are you kidding? England had soooo many goal chances, but the USA goalie was brilliant! The USA had a very strong defense, whereas England clearly mastered the offence.

Green - butterfingers, why we picked him I have no idea!

Should have had Peter Crouch on much earlier too.

We'll do better in the next games. Afterall, in 1966 we drew the first match then went on to lift the trophy.

And yes, it's 'football' not soccer!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:And yes, it's 'football' not soccer!

It's both, depending on where you are at the time!!! (Has Canada been informed that there is no "soccer"? :) )
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Green who does he play for then :evil:

I thought Heskey, Glen Johnson Gerrad and Rooney (last 25 mins) played well apart from that the team looked nervous.
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU

Re: England Vs. USA ---- Jun 13, 2010
England never start well in competitions. I do think they will still finish top of the group so all is not lost.
Robert Green's spill was unfortunate (At least the USA approve of one spill :-D) but remember: "The man who never made a mistake, never made anything".

Come on England!!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Bora Bora wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:And yes, it's 'football' not soccer!

It's both, depending on where you are at the time!!! (Has Canada been informed that there is no "soccer"? :) )

Its not both. The Brits defined both the game and the meaning of the word of Football. The Yanks were stupid enough to then use the same word for an entirely different game, probably because nobody actually understands the rules of American rugby/foootball/

other names could be rugball, throwball, handball or pile on top the ball, but they sound stupid, so some knobhead over the pond thought ohhhhhhhhhhhh lets call it football and confuse the rest of the world.

:D
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Yeah just because Yanks can't play rugby, they came up with a similar game and called it football - losers.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

^^^^
^^^^
Two aholes in one pair of underwear. Can't have a decent argument without name calling. Now that's what I call LOSERS!!!!

You both seem to think that England invented the world!!! Rather than understand that most of what England has was a result of other countries. Get over yourselves.

If you will excuse me I'm going back to reading about BPs oil spill screw up.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

"You both seem to think that England invented the world!!!"

Not sure about the world bora, but definitely there would be no American football without Rugby and no baseball without Cricket. In fact there would be no rugby without football either so we invented all of the above. Probably basketball also.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Galactico wrote:

Green who does he play for then :evil:

I thought Heskey, Glen Johnson Gerrad and Rooney (last 25 mins) played well apart from that the team looked nervous.

Oh, hellooooooooooooooooooooo, looking for a fight? :-)
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

smoggie wrote:"You both seem to think that England invented the world!!!"

Not sure about the world bora, but definitely there would be no American football without Rugby and no baseball without Cricket. In fact there would be no rugby without football either so we invented all of the above. Probably basketball also.

It started as netball, a game played by ladies in the UK.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Eh? Baseball didn't come from cricket! It's based on 'rounders' which is a game played by GIRLS at school!

Oh sorry Bora, you know totally forgot about the pilgrim fathers leaving the Mayflower steps in Plymouth, UK and er being responsible for you! Don't forget without US, you have no history!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

USA....No. 1.

Always a winnner!!!! :)

zit.jpg
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Chocoholic wrote:Eh? Baseball didn't come from cricket! It's based on 'rounders' which is a game played by GIRLS at school!

Oh sorry Bora, you know totally forgot about the pilgrim fathers leaving the Mayflower steps in Plymouth, UK and er being responsible for you! Don't forget without US, you have no history!

Errrr, someone rewriting history??? Responsible for the US?? Read about the American Revolution which brought about political, social and intellectual transformations as a result of England getting the boot. It was when America went forward rather than live in the backward era that was being brought upon them by the Brits. I guess you credit England with taking responsibility for all the countries that they colonized. :)

There is a rumor that the pilgrims from Plymouth Rock landed on American soil because they ran out of beer. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:^^^^
^^^^
Two aholes in one pair of underwear. Can't have a decent argument without name calling. Now that's what I call LOSERS!!!!

You both seem to think that England invented the world!!! Rather than understand that most of what England has was a result of other countries. Get over yourselves.

Don't forget EVERYTHING you have is the result of other countries!

Discovered by an Italian/Portuguese working for the Spanish (although there is now documented evidence the Danes, Norwegians and Swedish were there long before and if you believe Von Daniken, the Romans, Phoenecians, Greeks and even the Egyptians (!) may well have been there first) settled by the British, the French, the Scottish and the Irish. Immigration from everywhere in the world to the point that Spanish is now the national language of most of Florida, New Mexico and southern California and Italian Mafia the language of Manhattan...

So are you Native American? Well they are immigrants from south America anyway (check your genomic history)

Just remember this: This is an ENGLISH speaking forum. What language do you speak? (I am assuming it is American English which is almost real English as you kicked us out before we had a chance to finish the job!) You lost the battle of Bunker Hill (even though you keep claiming you won it, have a read of the history books and not those written by American historians after the fact, but the US military archives that are factual and correct). You sat on the fence for so many years of World War 1 and 2 it deepened the US arse crack to such a degree that any future involvement in military activity instantly proved you have all the shinyest kit and zero nouse how to use it.

Newsflash: You LOST the Vietnam war. And Korea. And Afghanistan. And trying to rescue the hostages in Iran. And Iraq. Where do you want to screw up next?

The country that invented the language you speak is the one we come from and we invented you, whether you like it or not. I suppose, like Frankenstein, we have created a monster with little or no brain power. Maybe we should terminate you now as a failed experiment? Oh no, of course that would be against 'Human Rights'. Like the rights you extended to the Sioux, Cherokee or Blackfoot tribes?

As for history, ours is well documented and studied and we are fully aware where we came from. Yes we are the result of a mixture of races and cultures, but we accept it and have had several thousand years to absorb it. Unlike your mere 200 odd years of rapid and vapid growth, like a tree in the rainforest racing for the sunlight in the gap created by a falling older wiser tree. All speed and no roots. A spindly trunk and lots of glossy leaves. So easy to fall. I wonder if anyone will hear it? Or care?

Don't be enamoured of this glittering paradise you created. Be aware that you occupy less than 9% of the planet's surface and the rest of the world is not a small island just off New York. You piss off any more countries and you may find yourselves sitting out in the cold.

Back off and get back in your little cat box lady, we are a nation that can defend itself (and did so for 4 years before you decided to get involved only after Johnny Jap pasted your ass to the wall at Pearl Harbour). Your homeland has never been invaded (yet) and the last time anyone was successful in our homeland was in 1066! A jumped up Bavarian had a look in 1941 and we kicked his arse (without your help!) nicely.

You want to have a poke at us...(to use a vulgar Americanism that you might understand) bring it on! I will gladly give you a sound thrashing (Marquess of Queensbury rules be bolloxed, I will gouge, bite and kick and will whip your knees out from under you quick sharp.)

Oh and have just 2 words to end on...Exxon Valdez. Cork it.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: England Vs. USA ---- Jun 14, 2010
"without your help!"! That’s a bit disrespectful.

Love em or hate em, without the help from the Yanks, you'd be speaking German (probably not a bad thing after last nights result) and everyone north of Antarctic would be speaking Japanese.

The day will come that the USA kick England’s butt in Soccer also, so enjoy the draws while you can.
You have to remember that they only play it there because mommy doesn't want Johnny getting hurt playing a rough sport. There used to be a time when Johnny decided that a career in NFL was more fun and told mommy to get nicked when his balls dropped.
But money will, and is, convincing them to stick with soccer. Unfortunately, passion doesn't count for much, but you have to admit that they don't play half bad for a bunch of amateurs.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: England vs. USA ---- Jun 14, 2010
Yeah and then the Yanks messed up in Vietnam, Iraq, Kuwait etc etc - they're not well liked you know. Don't get me started on their 'friendly fire' rooster ups!

As DK, rightly points out, they're very young, with not much history yet their ignorance in assuming they are the 'super' power is astounding.

I tell you many of my American friends are embarrassed by how many of their own act.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dubai Knight wrote:Don't forget EVERYTHING you have is the result of other countries!

Discovered by an Italian/Portuguese working for the Spanish (although there is now documented evidence the Danes, Norwegians and Swedish were there long before and if you believe Von Daniken, the Romans, Phoenecians, Greeks and even the Egyptians (!) may well have been there first) settled by the British, the French, the Scottish and the Irish. Immigration from everywhere in the world to the point that Spanish is now the national language of most of Florida, New Mexico and southern California and Italian Mafia the language of Manhattan...

So are you Native American? Well they are immigrants from south America anyway (check your genomic history)

Just remember this: This is an ENGLISH speaking forum. What language do you speak? (I am assuming it is American English which is almost real English as you kicked us out before we had a chance to finish the job!) You lost the battle of Bunker Hill (even though you keep claiming you won it, have a read of the history books and not those written by American historians after the fact, but the US military archives that are factual and correct). You sat on the fence for so many years of World War 1 and 2 it deepened the US arse crack to such a degree that any future involvement in military activity instantly proved you have all the shinyest kit and zero nouse how to use it.

Newsflash: You LOST the Vietnam war. And Korea. And Afghanistan. And trying to rescue the hostages in Iran. And Iraq. Where do you want to screw up next?

The country that invented the language you speak is the one we come from and we invented you, whether you like it or not. I suppose, like Frankenstein, we have created a monster with little or no brain power. Maybe we should terminate you now as a failed experiment? Oh no, of course that would be against 'Human Rights'. Like the rights you extended to the Sioux, Cherokee or Blackfoot tribes?

As for history, ours is well documented and studied and we are fully aware where we came from. Yes we are the result of a mixture of races and cultures, but we accept it and have had several thousand years to absorb it. Unlike your mere 200 odd years of rapid and vapid growth, like a tree in the rainforest racing for the sunlight in the gap created by a falling older wiser tree. All speed and no roots. A spindly trunk and lots of glossy leaves. So easy to fall. I wonder if anyone will hear it? Or care?

Don't be enamoured of this glittering paradise you created. Be aware that you occupy less than 9% of the planet's surface and the rest of the world is not a small island just off New York. You piss off any more countries and you may find yourselves sitting out in the cold.

Back off and get back in your little cat box lady, we are a nation that can defend itself (and did so for 4 years before you decided to get involved only after Johnny Jap pasted your peach to the wall at Pearl Harbour). Your homeland has never been invaded (yet) and the last time anyone was successful in our homeland was in 1066! A jumped up Bavarian had a look in 1941 and we kicked his arse (without your help!) nicely.

You want to have a poke at us...(to use a vulgar Americanism that you might understand) bring it on! I will gladly give you a sound thrashing (Marquess of Queensbury rules be bolloxed, I will gouge, bite and kick and will whip your knees out from under you quick sharp.)

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Touchy, touchy. Go ahead on jump on the bandwagon. All this over the words football/soccer???

What you don't get is that I don't have a "problem" with England or the English. I don't judge a country on a few idiots that think "if it wasn't for us (England/the British)..................we are the saviors of the world".

England has its own number of failures in history. It even has museums that hold trophies from their pilfering of countries that they colonized. :roll:

Oh, yeah, and let me add two letters: BP. Exxon Valdez pales in comparison to BP and the damage it caused, is causing and will cause to people, land, marine life, wildlife, water, through its lies and failures. Although not yet "history" is making its mark on becoming historical.

Yes, this is an English forum - more ways than one.

-- Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:02 am --

Chocoholic wrote:Yeah and then the Yanks messed up in Vietnam, Iraq, Kuwait etc etc - they're not well liked you know. Don't get me started on their 'friendly fire' rooster ups!

As DK, rightly points out, they're very young, with not much history yet their ignorance in assuming they are the 'super' power is astounding.

I tell you many of my American friends are embarrassed by how many of their own act.

Stuff it Chocs. Going backwards as usual I see.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Have to say that Germany were incredible against Australia last night - the poor Socceroos didn't stand a chance! Talk about a well oiled machine.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Have to say that Germany were incredible against Australia last night - the poor Socceroos didn't stand a chance! Talk about a well oiled machine.

We invented Australia also!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

smoggie wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Have to say that Germany were incredible against Australia last night - the poor Socceroos didn't stand a chance! Talk about a well oiled machine.

I think the Abos might have something to say about that!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

smoggie wrote:

Of course you did. :)

Following the loss of the American Colonies after the American War of Independence 1775-1783, Britain needed to find alternative land for a new British colony. Australia was chosen for settlement, and colonisation began in 1788. Rather than resorting to the use of slavery to build the infrastructure for the new colony, convict labour was used as a cheap and economically viable alternative.

It is commonly reported that the colonisation of Australia was driven by the need to address overcrowding in the British prison system; however, it was simply not economically viable to transport prisoners half way around the world for this reason alone.[1] Many convicts were either skilled tradesmen or farmers who had been convicted for trivial crimes and were sentenced to seven years, the time required to set up the infrastructure for the new colony. Convicts were often given pardons prior to or on completion of their sentences and were allocated parcels of land to farm.

Let's not forget the history about child migration from England to Australia.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

You Brits can rant all you want and carry on dreaming about your “glorious” past but the reality of today is that you have lost all your “glory”, and you’ve now been reduced to an ordinary country suffering from all kinds of economic and social ills.

America, on the other hand, despite its brief history and the diversity its people, has risen to rule the world. It has now become the greatest and most powerful nation on earth, economically, technologically and militarily.

So either stop being jealous and get over it (and deal with your own problems) or keep on dreaming of your lost past (and fall further into the abyss of history).

Like or not, America, despite its pitfalls, now rules the entire world!!!

I suggest you move out of the way and learn to live with it!!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Tom Jones wrote:You Brits can rant all you want and carry on dreaming about your “glorious” past but the reality of today is that you have lost all your “glory”, and you’ve now been reduced to an ordinary country suffering from all kinds of economic and social ills.

America, on the other hand, despite its brief history and the diversity its people, has risen to rule the world. It has now become the greatest and most powerful nation on earth, economically, technologically and militarily.

So either stop being jealous and get over it (and deal with your own problems) or keep on dreaming of your lost past (and fall further into the abyss of history).

Like or not, America, despite its pitfalls, now rules the entire world!!!

I suggest you move out of the way and learn to live with it!!!!

8) 8)

And some would say that China is slowly taking over.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

In economic terms, isn't the USA already China's b*tch? ;)

I mean, when Mattel had to offer a grovelling apology to the people of China in 2007 - after recalling toys manufactured in China, we had an inkling who really is wearing the pants in the relationship. And that was BEFORE the credit crisis!

Hey - DK, kudos on your excellent summary. May I have permission to quote it when young yanks start to get uppity here? ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Do you have a point Shaf??? Did you run out of finding issues on Israel, Islam and politics? Go back to playing with your beads.

If we all sit around and dig and dig and dig we can find the faults of each and every country. Why do some people feel the need to defend their country by denigrating another country? I could sit here and dig up England's bloopers, but do I really care?? Nope. But don't let me stop you, carry on.

I know that the US has committed serious mistakes but it certainly isn't alone in that regard. It has also made worldwide contributions - and you are using one of them at the moment.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Dubai Knight wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:^^^^
^^^^

Don't forget EVERYTHING you have is the result of other countries!

Back off and get back in your little cat box lady, we are a nation that can defend itself (and did so for 4 years before you decided to get involved only after Johnny Jap pasted your peach to the wall at Pearl Harbour). Your homeland has never been invaded (yet) and the last time anyone was successful in our homeland was in 1066! A jumped up Bavarian had a look in 1941 and we kicked his arse (without your help!) nicely.

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Blimey DK :shock: :shock: :shock:

go man go

If i may add a few Caveats and to address some of Bora's beef:

BP although British in origin has more Americans on its Board then Brits.

BP employs 26000 Americans and only 20000 Brits

The current crisis was caused by American workers on a rig being run by Americans.

In the last few months Mr Ohhhh i Walk on Water President Nobhead Obama hasn't mentioned the 000's of people killed by Union Carbide (a wholley owned American Company) in Bhopal and........... the damge caused by the Americans negligence when the Piper Alpha Oil rig Exploded killing 167 people which is coincidentally owned and operated by Occidental an American company.

So here we have Mr Knobhead Obama going on and on and on about a bit of oil on some beaches and a few birds covered in oil and nothing really that cant be sorted out, oooohhhhhh and sorry forgot to mention a few ice cream stalls, beachball and sea-shell sellers out of business. This apparently is all the Brits fault but lets forget or not mention about the 000's of lives lost, because they are soooo less important than a few birds, beaches and beach bum peddlers (who dont pay any taxes anyway)

What a hypocrite.

and...........................

psssssssst someone has invaded their homeland, i think his name is Osama and it was on 9/11. Heck they even let 19 of them on the planes with knives and even........ trained them to fly the 4 planes. Ohhhhhh and like Pearl Harbour they were told it was going to happen, they just couldn't be arsed to do anything about it until after the event - when will they ever learn ehhhhhhhhhh.

This sort of stupidity is of no surprise really when, lets be honest they cant even think of an apt or appropriate name to call a sport they invented and no one but themselves are interested in, let alone understand.

:lol:
arniegang

LOL PMSL - well there really is no coming back from that little lot now is there?!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat