Duty Free Shopping ?

Topic locked
Duty free shopping ? May 23, 2003
Hi

What exactly duty free shoppping means ? and what are the rules related to the same. ?

Do all shops in dubai offer duty free or some specific ?

Thanks in advance

john
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 05, 2003
Hi, John!!
Very interesting question! :?:
I would like to know myself. :?
So if anybody can explain this, please you are welcome. :P
Iris
Dubai Forum Admin

Oct 16, 2008
is anyone up there to answer?
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Oct 16, 2008
well duty free shopping is only from the airport. the shops in dubai also say they are duty free but the selling price is higher. i dont know but buy a sigrate case from carfor an itz 56 n from duty free is 49. elaborate your concern then someone might be of help.
Captain Sirus Black
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 16, 2008
Duty free shops in Dubai intl Airport, and in other areas like that shop behind aviation club and close to Irish village only sell their good to travelers. For shops outside the airport u have a 3 days period after ur arrival and u have to show them the stamp in ur passport.

The word duty free means no customs or any other sort of taxes were applied. For example the liquor and tobacco is usually cheaper. The prices on the other stuff is not much different since the customs in the UAE is only 5% and so far there is no other sort of Taxes on goods other than Liquor.
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 16, 2008
Duty free refers to items that can be bought without paying customs duties on, in the UAE its any anything that you can purchase in any of the Free zones, as they have not had any duties attached to them. The crunch comes when you remove them from the Freezone in which they were purchased, and then the 5% import duty is levied before you can remove the goods. The only notable exception to this is “Duty Free” at the airport, the downside is that you cannot simply walk in and do your shopping there; you have to have an air ticket or be transiting through the duty-free area. Airport duty-free is normally also luxury items.

In general the import tariff for goods into the UAE is only 5%, this means that with normal retailer mark-up the goods are generally cheaper than in other countries where they have high import duties and then retailer mark-up; this is of course a generalization and not a rule.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 16, 2008
It sure is duty free on cars here...
do ya guys know how much the cars cost in india?...It actually is double the cost than here...
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Oct 16, 2008
who cares :?: :twisted:
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 16, 2008
I see someone care to have replied....
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat