Dubai Vs. Singapore

Topic locked
Dubai vs. Singapore Sep 06, 2005
Are there any expats out there who have lived in both Dubai and Singapore? If so, how would you compare Dubai with Singapore?

EastWestExpat
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 06, 2005
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I have never lived in Singapore, but I was there for 4 days. I have lived in Hong Kong for a number of years before coming to Dubai.

Singa is septically clean and is nice and reserved. Hot etc, but Dubai is OK but getting worse. There is a huge diverse culture here. Sometimes thats good, but most times its bad, as most think they are still in there Home Country and behave like such!

I like Dubai. I do not think I could live in Singa.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 07, 2005
Oh Singapore is incredible! I love it there, so clean! If I weren't in Dubai, Singapore is where I'd love to be.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 07, 2005
but we dont get ne chewing gums there....
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 07, 2005
True chewing gum is banned because it makes a mess of the pavement, but it's only because people can't be bothered to chuck it in the bin. At least they don't have people spitting on the street.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Sep 07, 2005
yep i know its bad for pavements...but its the citizens who are responsible for these things...but still i feel....singapore is much more strict than dubai in a lot of things....so i'll prefer dubai over singapore.....
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Gum in SG Sep 09, 2005
If somebody needs chewing gum in Singapore, it is easy enough to pop over the causeway and to buy some in Johor Bahru, Malaysia.

Apparently, doctors in Singapore can also perscribe chewing gum (for bad breath???). That was a compromise to enable the US-Singapore free trade agreement!
OldAsiaHand
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2005
how are the people in singapore? cold? friendly?

wha kind of careers are popular there?

is the lifestyle expensive there?
satanstore
Dubai Forum Guest

What it's like Sep 15, 2005
It's a nice place to visit, but....

Unfortunately, too many of the locals tend to be materialistic, superficial, and arrogant. As bosses, they can often be hard to work for. Of course, there are some exceptions. Not all are like that. Yet, a very large percentage of the locals are that way.

If you have a background in finance, accounting, engineering, IT, or biotech, then you might be able to find a position. However, make sure that it pays well.
EastWestExpat
Dubai Forums Member

Re: What it's like Sep 16, 2005
EastWestExpat wrote:It's a nice place to visit, but....

Unfortunately, too many of the locals tend to be materialistic, superficial, and arrogant. As bosses, they can often be hard to work for. Of course, there are some exceptions. Not all are like that. Yet, a very large percentage of the locals are that way.

If you have a background in finance, accounting, engineering, IT, or biotech, then you might be able to find a position. However, make sure that it pays well.

Been to Singapore for a visit only. Wonderful country, loads of things to see and very clean. I agree with you that Singaporeans as superiors can be difficult (with some exceptions). To put it bluntly, they just don't trust anyone! anybody!
PePPerCLIP
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat