Dubai Ppl

Topic locked
Dubai ppl May 01, 2006
First time I got here I was always asking where all the ppl were, I was surprised no one walked in this city (when I came here it was still winter, so, was not hot to take walks), so, my friend once took me to Deira bazar area, that is when i saw BUNCH of ppl walking, and, all of them had a habit of staring, at first I though may be I was wearing smth I was not supposed to, lol, I even asked my friend, he said, everything was ok with my clolthes and added that everybody stares here, esp. one particular nation of ppl.
Today, during my lunch break I got outside to warm up, our office was too cold, and noticed again (100th time) - stare, lol, like I was doing something totally wrong, lol, what is it? lol, they have never seen ppl.
In such a multinational city I would think ppl do not even pay attention to anyone and are used to different nations, guess I was wrong.
Just wish I knew what goes in their heads when they keep on staring at someone. Or, ... may be I should not wish to know ... lol

IMJ
Dubai Expat Helper

May 01, 2006
Welcome to Dubai :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 01, 2006
J, u're suppose to leave ur pjs at home.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 01, 2006
IMJ
you got it right...you would not wish to know...anyhow i found it very surprising about dubai--> the fact that men outnumber the women by far...never had that happen in the other countries that i have lived in so far...this is a very workforce oriented town with the majority of it made up of foreigners...so the fact that the local people are missing is very obvious...perhaps guys are more comfortable with stepping out of thier zone/country/home and travelling and working abroad than women are...maybe i am generalising...and given that this is the "middle east"...also perhaps the large influx of labourers away from thier families...on the flip side if it is harmless staring...then enjoy the attention...unless it really gets annoying and stupid...not much "eye candy" in dubai on the roads...unless you're talking about cars...now there we definately have some eye turners...!!
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

May 01, 2006
constantine LOL
But IMJ did you ever consider that ppl can't help gazing at beauty or u r just under estimating yourself :wink:
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

May 01, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:J, u're suppose to leave ur pjs at home.

probably that was the case, lol

However,the other day i was wearing a top (not pjs), that to my mind was formal, one of the brokers from Africa came in and was like, is it a night club here to my manager, so, the manager in his turn told me not to wear that type of revealing clothes to work, lol, when anywhere int he world no one would have seen anything wrong with it.
well, like Liban said, welcome to Dubai
IMJ
Dubai Expat Helper

May 01, 2006
I am used to the staring and looking already!!! Doesn't matter you are tall, slim, fat, short, beautiful or ugly. I think staring at a foreign girl is part of the culture here.... if you are only stared at you are very luckly...

Once when I first arrived, I went to Madinat Jumeirah to look around, as I was walking a man dress as a local smile at me at the door of a shop, first I thought he is the owner or works there, so I smiled back.... maybe because of I smiled back, he was thinking I am ok to go home with him, then he started to ask me questions, I answered a couple of them then felt that he was after something else, so I pretended I didn't understand and took off.... as I was walking along, he was following me, he even hang around outside the lady's room and waited for me.... I was really scared, so I quickly went out and jumped on a taxi. <---- creepy

Another time was in Mirdif, when I walked out to the bakery shop (2 mins walk) a guy with a local dress was in the car driving very slowly next to me, and with the window down, I thought he was lost and trying to ask me direction. I looked back and stop trying to help, BUT he wasn't lost, he asked me to go out with him!!! I ignored him and walked fast, he keep on follow me until I got into the house.

Once a few local men trying to drag my friend into a car, when she first arrived Dubai a few years ago.... she was luckly to escape being pulled inside the car.... she was running and these men were chasing her and she was trying to hold on to a taxi and the taxi driver trying to aviod her, she was luckly coz she was holding on the taxi tight enough and the taxi driver couldn't go... she managed to jump into the taxi and had to beg the driver to drive her to a police station.

So staring is nothing, get use to it!!
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

May 01, 2006
on Constantine's reply, lol, I do not think any girl likes the way these ppl stare here in Dubai, it is a sick stare, lol.
And, u r right about men and women ratio here, back home, any club u go to, girls will be all over u, it is like 1 guy/10 girls, lol, however, if to consider only men who are decent in Dubai, I think women prevail again, lol, not trying to offend anyone, hope u know what I mean.
IMJ
Dubai Expat Helper

May 01, 2006
FeiPo wrote:I am used to the staring and looking already!!! Doesn't matter you are tall, slim, fat, short, beautiful or ugly. I think staring at a foreign girl is part of the culture here.... if you are only stared at you are very luckly...

Once when I first arrived, I went to Madinat Jumeirah to look around, as I was walking a man dress as a local smile at me at the door of a shop, first I thought he is the owner or works there, so I smiled back.... maybe because of I smiled back, he was thinking I am ok to go home with him, then he started to asked me questions I answer a couple of them then felt that he was after something else, so I pretend I didn't understand and took off.... as I was walking along, he was following me, he even hang around outside the lady's room and waited for me.... I was really scare, so I quickly went out and jump on a taxi. <---- if spoiled my day!

Another time was in Mirdif, when I walked out to the bakery shop (2 mins walk) a guy with a local dress was in the car driving very slowly next to me, and with the window down, I thought he was lost and trying to ask me direction. I looked back and stop trying to help, BUT he wasn't lost, he asked me to go out with him!!! I ignore him and walk fast.

Once a few local men trying to drag my friend into a car, when she first arrived Dubai a few years ago.... she was luckly to escaped being pulled inside the car.... she was running and these men was chasing her and she was trying to hold on to a taxi and the taxi driver trying to aviod her, she was luckly coz she was holding on the taxi tight enought and the taxi driver cannot go... she managed to jump into the taxi and had to beg the driver to drive her to a police station.

So staring is nothing, get use to it!!

that is freaky, thanks god never happened to me, hope will not either.
Today, coming back to the office, I was in the elevator, so, this indian guy was in too, of course staring, what else he can do, right, lol, I mean, I am there in a 1x1 box with u, I see u r staring, lol, it is irritating, on top of that he was like BYE, when I was stepping out of the lift, lol, I do not know what ppl think sometimes.
Another thing, when I was reading ur post, I thought that something that is normal in any other place is abnormal here, like u were saying when ppl smile at u, u smile back in return with no back thought, here u gotta think twice before u do it, lol, just nuts
IMJ
Dubai Expat Helper

May 01, 2006
Just have to be careful... haven't mention just recently, I went to the pool at my apartment. the cleaning guy was following me from the pool down to the lady's room and telling me there is a sauna and steam there. It was so weird that he followed me inside the lady's, but I wasn't thinking at the time as he is the worker at the building, then we were shaking hand to say thank you, as he was shaking my hand, he pulled me toward him trying to kiss me on my lip.... <------ so I pushed him away, then he left. Mind you, I am not exaclty attractive, and I was in a bathing suit with my huge belly stick out!!!

it is so many weirdos here, doesn't matter what nationality they are, we girls just need to be careful. These people will take advantage of any female at any time they think they can. Being beautiful has nothing to do with it... these guys are sick and they think women are trash or toys that they can do whatever to us.
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

May 01, 2006
FeiPo wrote:Just have to be careful... haven't mention just recently, I went to the pool at my apartment. the cleaning guy was following me from the pool down to the lady's room and telling me there is a sauna and steam there. It was so weird that he followed me inside the lady's, but I wasn't thinking at the time as he is the worker at the building, then we were shaking hand to say thank you, as he was shaking my hand, he pulled me toward him trying to kiss me on my lip.... <------ so I pushed him away, then he left. Mind you, I am not exaclty attractive, and I was in a bathing suit with my huge belly stick out!!!

it is so many weirdos here, doesn't matter what nationality they are, we girls just need to be careful. These people will take advantage of any female at any time they think they can. Being beautiful has nothing to do with it... these guys are sick and they think women are trash or toys that they can do whatever to us.

wow, man, this is somemthing, never thought it could happen here.
You seem to be a magnet to all those weird and sick ppl here.
It is really scary though.
U know, u cannot even just take a walk, which I miss a lot, I used to love walking at home, ppl stare, say something and to all u r some whore or something, I do not know what is wrong with the crowd here.
After my experience here, I started appreciating my home country so much more and my ppl, though some of them are like the ones here, but not the prevailing ammount. Anyway, will make sure to walk enough when I get home without anyone harassing me, lol, though it happens at home too, but it is not in a sick way, it is just like a joke,
But, yeah, u r right, it is nothing to do with looks, it is just u r a female.
Anyway, hope u will not meet any psychos any more, lol.
IMJ
Dubai Expat Helper

May 01, 2006
I'm so sorry that this happened to you Fiepo and IMJ. :(
I have to tell you something u can't make these losers ruin ur mood or make you quit doing what u like to do.
Just ignore them as much as you can and concerning staring it shouldn't bother you let them stare and forget about them
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

May 01, 2006
agree with wafaey...jokes aside...no one deserves this haressment...and hope you dont counter this unpleasantness one too many times more...!!...
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

May 01, 2006
FeiPo wrote:Just have to be careful... haven't mention just recently, I went to the pool at my apartment. the cleaning guy was following me from the pool down to the lady's room and telling me there is a sauna and steam there. It was so weird that he followed me inside the lady's, but I wasn't thinking at the time as he is the worker at the building, then we were shaking hand to say thank you, as he was shaking my hand, he pulled me toward him trying to kiss me on my lip.... <------ so I pushed him away, then he left. Mind you, I am not exaclty attractive, and I was in a bathing suit with my huge belly stick out!!!

That sounds terrible! My advice is not to even smile or look at the guys. If a man is serving you or helping you with directions, say thank you and be polite, but don't do anything to engage them in further discussion or stand too close to them. Any guy having nothing to do with you in the surrounding environment shouldn't be smiled at or engaged in any way or he'll be more likely to come over and take his chances. It is a shame that you can't treat some men like an equal here, but their conduct to women is why you need to smile less and ignore more.

I don't care if some of you think I am princess for writing that, but you have no clue what it is like to be female here and be leered at or propositioned without being in a prostitution district. Women here can get unwanted attention anytime, anywhere, wearing anything, standing with anyone.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 01, 2006
Sad things that are going on here...

About the staring: I have blond hair, and people look at me sometimes like they see an alien... :?
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

May 01, 2006
Defo wrote:Sad things that are going on here...

About the staring: I have blond hair, and people look at me sometimes like they see an alien... :?

lol, before coming here I got my hair dyed back to my natural for me not to have any extra attention due to that, lol, as I also had dark blond with bright highlights.
IMJ
Dubai Expat Helper

May 01, 2006
There are some serious weirdos, I just stare back and make them feel uncomfortable for staring in the first place or make a sarcastic comment, they soon blush and run away.

Someimtes I swear you could be wearing a bin bag and it wouldn't matter.

With some guys you have to be very careful though as some seem to think it's their right to harass females.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 01, 2006
IMJ wrote:
Defo wrote:Sad things that are going on here...

lol, before coming here I got my hair dyed back to my natural for me not to have any extra attention due to that, lol, as I also had dark blond with bright highlights.

That is defenitly getting some attention in a place like Dubai :P
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

May 01, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:There are some serious weirdos, I just stare back and make them feel uncomfortable for staring in the first place or make a sarcastic comment, they soon blush and run away.

With some guys you have to be very careful though as some seem to think it's their right to harass females.

I guess u have these kinda dudes everywhere in the world. I think its even less here than in Europe... (becoz nobody wants to end up in jail in this part of the world..)
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

May 01, 2006
Its a shame this sort of thing goes on, but there are guys here who rarely, if ever get to see a woman, let alone one who is wearing what we deem to be 'normal' clothes. To their way of thinking a woman who reveals even a little is therefore 'game'.

As for the staring, some people wonder why a lot of expat ladies can be bitchy and bossy to the men here. It has to be a defense mechanism so that if they come across as dominant, the men will not try anything else. My PA is a very attractive girl and she is faced with this all the time even thought she dresses sensibly. She hates it. If they stare, ignore them. Hard I know.

Knight

(With eyes closed...not looking...really!)

8)
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 01, 2006
And the thing is these same blokes who think it's OK to harass women would be threatening to cut the nuts off any man who behaved in this way to females within their family circles. It's all about respect or rather lack of it.
GoodBai
Dubai Forums Talker

May 02, 2006
It's good to talk about this girls....all women get stared at full stop! It doesn't matter if you are fully covered, in your tracksuit, dressed up to the nines, pregnant, with your kids....whatever!! I find a good tut seems to work on the starers along with an evil stare back...as for any further than that- shout shout shout- it always works....none of them want to be embarrased in public really. No need to swear or use bad language- anything will do....just draw attention to your self if anything untoward is happening.
Also even though it is safer here in a lot respects you still have to have your street smarts about you....don't end up on your own late at night...always make sure all your friends get home safely etc etc...don't fall for scams....you get offered lifts in non-taxis-do not take them- you wouldn't in your home country.
You do have to lose some of your natural politeness...and it is hard....where I come from if someone says good morning you say it back- unfortunately here it can be taken as yes I will marry you! I know I am acting rude and harsh sometimes but it has to be done- the good monring thing led to be being stalked for 4 years!!! So believe me I know!! (That wasn't in Dubai by the way!)
It is good to get it out though- I meet a lot of girls who are new here and they are all going through the same and are bemused by it or frightened...it helps to share experiences! Walk with your heads held high and be ready to be tough if you have to be!
vixnax
Dubai Forums Member

May 02, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:There are some serious weirdos, I just stare back and make them feel uncomfortable for staring in the first place or make a sarcastic comment, they soon blush and run away.

lol, staring back does not work, they just keep o n staring and think they are lucky we are staring back at them, lol
IMJ
Dubai Expat Helper

May 02, 2006
kanelli wrote:That sounds terrible! My advice is not to even smile or look at the guys. If a man is serving you or helping you with directions, say thank you and be polite, but don't do anything to engage them in further discussion or stand too close to them. Any guy having nothing to do with you in the surrounding environment shouldn't be smiled at or engaged in any way or he'll be more likely to come over and take his chances. It is a shame that you can't treat some men like an equal here, but their conduct to women is why you need to smile less and ignore more.

I don't care if some of you think I am princess for writing that, but you have no clue what it is like to be female here and be leered at or propositioned without being in a prostitution district. Women here can get unwanted attention anytime, anywhere, wearing anything, standing with anyone.

I tend to agree with you cuz smiling back would encarage them. its a shame that things came down to this. But its also a kind of bitchy but if that what u got to do to stay safe and enjoy ur time then no one can blame you
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

May 02, 2006
I am really sorry for what happened with u FeiPo, my suggestion is that if it ever occurs to you again , u should report anything to the police or security guys if u r in a mall or seomthing !! and don't worry they will be treated well. Not only a month in jail, but also a possibility of deportion depending on the case !!
Yet sometimes it is very silly to call the police, if u feel that u can handle it, just yell at them , like our mothers used to do to us whenver we did something wrong !!! :lol: , that way of Yelling !! well it always works, as my friends told me !!
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

May 02, 2006
Palkid7 wrote:I am really sorry for what happened with u FeiPo, my suggestion is that if it ever occurs to you again , u should report anything to the police or security guys if u r in a mall or seomthing !! and don't worry they will be treated well. Not only a month in jail, but also a possibility of deportion depending on the case !!
Yet sometimes it is very silly to call the police, if u feel that u can handle it, just yell at them , like our mothers used to do to us whenver we did something wrong !!! :lol: , that way of Yelling !! well it always works, as my friends told me !!

deportion? :scratch: ... deportion of what? lol?
IMJ
Dubai Expat Helper

May 02, 2006
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
I mean Deportation !! :oops: :oops: :oops:
man do I need Caffeine or what !! I think I should go and grab a cup of Coffee !!
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

May 02, 2006
Palkid7 wrote:LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
I mean Deportation !! :oops: :oops: :oops:
man do I need Caffeine or what !! I think I should go and grab a cup of Coffee !!

:lol:
IMJ
Dubai Expat Helper

May 02, 2006
Actually if you report them, the police takes very serious. I know someone that was with 2 other guys in the shopping mall, and a lady called the police saying that one of the guys was staring at her. All three of them (even the ones no staring, although the other guy says he was not staring) were jailed for one day, then they let them go since they said they were innocents....
indi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 02, 2006
IMJ wrote:on Constantine's reply, lol, I do not think any girl likes the way these ppl stare here in Dubai, it is a sick stare, lol.
And, u r right about men and women ratio here, back home, any club u go to, girls will be all over u, it is like 1 guy/10 girls, lol, however, if to consider only men who are decent in Dubai, I think women prevail again, lol, not trying to offend anyone, hope u know what I mean.

Where is it you come from again??? :wink:
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat