Dubai Malls Join Anti-indecency Campaign

Topic locked
Dubai malls join anti-indecency campaign Aug 08, 2009
Dubai: Dubai's shopping malls don't just combine the awesome collections of international brand labels, but go further to enlighten newcomers on Emirati cultural rules and what's the acceptable general behaviour.

The rules are on signs at the main entrances and distributed by security personnel as well.

It includes no smoking in the mall, wearing of respectable clothing and no kissing or public displays of affection, no consumption of alcohol in the mall and few other don'ts.
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Society/10338386.html

Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 08, 2009
The issue here, is that fair to ask or expats and tourists have the right to enjoy their stay in Dubai without local culture imposed on them?
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 08, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:The issue here, is that fair to ask or expats and tourists have the right to enjoy their stay in Dubai without local culture imposed on them?

They are asking for decent dress only, this is not an imposition of local culture, more in respect. If you see the way some people have been dressing in Malls etc., you may understand the point.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 08, 2009
Sage, if you read the whole article, you can see that it's more than the decent dress. Kissing, show of affection, drinking in public..etc are also included, which is very much culture attributes.

In general it's asking expat and tourists to be conservative.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 08, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:Sage, if you read the whole article, you can see that it's more than the decent dress. Kissing, show of affection, drinking in public..etc are also included, which is very much culture attributes.

In general it's asking expat and tourists to be conservative.

I did read the whole article and I still stand by what I said.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 08, 2009
Sage, are you telling me the way people dress is not part of a culture?
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 08, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:Sage, are you telling me the way people dress is not part of a culture?

That is not what I said.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 08, 2009
What's your point then?
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 08, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:What's your point then?

My point is that people should dress decently whether it is here or anywhere else.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 08, 2009
I must confess that i dont really give a monkeys as to how people dress life is a bit to short for me to have such concerns,But picture the scenario,young attractive women from the west comes to Dubai on her hol's,walks into a mall dressed the way she allways dresses back home,security guard comes over to hand her a leaflet on how to dress and respectfully requests that she goes away and comes back dressed more conservatively,now with this being Dubai she now has a throng of people stood around gawping at her and the poor wench is mortified,so the question is,what do you think she will tell her friends back home when they ask how her hols went,will she mention the fantastic beaches,great weather,exciting nightlife,i think not uppermost on her mind will be the day she tried to go shopping.

Oh one more thing,on the rare occasion that i walk thru a shooping mall all the manaquins seem to be dressed in the kinds of clothes that i suspect would get women pulled up were they wearing them in the very malls that sell them,so how does that work ?
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 08, 2009
We already agreed on that decent dress. But you haven't answered my first question yet, is fair to ask the expats and tourists to stick to local culture?
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 08, 2009
Expats yes as they have chosen to live here.

Tourists well its going to be hard for them to stick to local culture when the holliday brochures show loads of people in bikinis on a beach, the UAE has to tread a very thin line,on the one hand they want western tourists here,on the other hand they want to keep there culture safe, i honestly dont beleive western tourists would want to come here if a dress code was imposed on them after all you dont see many weterners going to the KSA for there summer break do you.
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 08, 2009
Well to be perfectly honest with you, the rules are basically standard the world over, so I don't see the big deal.

If people are going to come here, then they should educate themselves about it. I've actually pulled up several girls on the 'shortness' of their skirts before, basically telling them, that I wold really prefer NOT to see their 'other' cheeks - ta very much!

But it sort of doesn't sit right when you see the mannequins in shop windows wearing saucy underwear and baring all.

Basically what's the big idea about carrying a pashmina with you? I do.

Although this isn't just targeting women! I saw a guy in Arabian mall the other day, wandering around shirtless, with shorts and flip-flops, needless to say he certainly didn't have the body of Beckham and it was gross!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 08, 2009
I know what you mean chocs,i have been sat round a pool with me speedos on and women have approached me and asked me to get dressed as my beckem esk body is getting them all hot and botherd
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 08, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:We already agreed on that decent dress. But you haven't answered my first question yet, is fair to ask the expats and tourists to stick to local culture?

Yaa , and some times it’s called …. Whats the word I’m looking for ?..... ya ya “common sense”
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 08, 2009
uaekid wrote:
Metaphor79 wrote:We already agreed on that decent dress. But you haven't answered my first question yet, is fair to ask the expats and tourists to stick to local culture?

Yaa , and some times it’s called …. Whats the word I’m looking for ?..... ya ya “common sense”

Amen to that kid
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 08, 2009
dont see what the big fuss is. its just the law of a shopping mall :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 08, 2009
Can't see what all the fuss is about, nothing wrong with a fine set of liberated mammaries in a shopping mall. Sure breaks up the monotony!

:)
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 08, 2009
rudeboy wrote:dont see what the big fuss is. its just the law of a shopping mall :D

I'll have to agree with rudy this time. People are reading way too much into this and turning a moutain out of a mole hill. I've actually had a few friends from Canada and US come here and were surprised to see how some people were dressed here.

Now whats wrong with having going to mall with your family and not have the feeling that your about to get a lap dance.

Bikinis are just fine, just keep them to the beach.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 08, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:
rudeboy wrote:dont see what the big fuss is. its just the law of a shopping mall :D

I'll have to agree with rudy this time. People are reading way too much into this and turning a moutain out of a mole hill. I've actually had a few friends from Canada and US come here and were surprised to see how some people were dressed here.

Now whats wrong with having going to mall with your family and not have the feeling that your about to get a lap dance.

so lap dance is ok, if you are not with your family?
capsicum
BANNED

Re: Dubai malls join anti-indecency campaign Aug 08, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:Dubai: Dubai's shopping malls don't just combine the awesome collections of international brand labels, but go further to enlighten newcomers on Emirati cultural rules and what's the acceptable general behaviour.

The rules are on signs at the main entrances and distributed by security personnel as well.

It includes no smoking in the mall, wearing of respectable clothing and no kissing or public displays of affection, no consumption of alcohol in the mall and few other don'ts.

Does that mean no more sightseeing in Dubai? Damn :lol:
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 08, 2009
capsicum wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:

so lap dance is ok, if you are not with your family?

I dunno never got one :( But I'm guessing it should be alright :D
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 09, 2009
Well how exactly do you define 'respectable clothing'?
I think that this is taking it too far, we arent in school anymore and we dont have to be told how to dress ourselves. I think we should be able to wear what we want to without being criticised. :mrgreen:
MethoD
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 09, 2009
MethoD wrote:Well how exactly do you define 'respectable clothing'?
I think that this is taking it too far, we arent in school anymore and we dont have to be told how to dress ourselves. I think we should be able to wear what we want to without being criticised. :mrgreen:

it means that if you want to see or wear short sleeves and mini skirts: skip Dubai, be a tourist or work in another country.
capsicum
BANNED

Aug 09, 2009
capsicum wrote:
MethoD wrote:Well how exactly do you define 'respectable clothing'?

it means that if you want to see or wear short sleeves and mini skirts: skip Dubai, be a tourist or work in another country.

It's a little more than short sleeves and mini skirts, more like no sleeves and macro mini skirts.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 09, 2009
I think were old enough to decide what we should and shouldn't wear right? :)
MethoD
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 09, 2009
MethoD wrote:I think were old enough to decide what we should and shouldn't wear right? :)

It would seem that their are many who are clearly not able to judge.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 09, 2009
Some people always have to ruin it for the rest :(
MethoD
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 09, 2009
busa wrote:as my beckem esk body is getting them all hot and botherd

photos or it didn't happen
ahzao
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 09, 2009
was in europe for a few weeks. people wear the most weird clothes. and while we were sitting having lunch on a terrace, one of my friends commented about a not so "normal" outfit of smbody.
why would anybody bother? why would you waste your precious time and energy on judging what people should wear on the streets?

if its a gala dinner, you can have a dress code. if its a business meeting, idem. but in their free time everybody should be confortaable with whatever they have on, without fake saints running their lives.
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat